View previous topic :: View next topic  
Swee Pea

City/Region: Bath
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Swee Pea
Photos: Swee Pea
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Furuno 1623 Install Reply with quote

Today we installed a Furuno 1623 Radar on Swee Pea. As I posted in the past, really don't need it but..... When I say "we" installed it, I mean I paid for a house call by an expert installer. Boater's World did match the best price I could find for it $1099. I will post pictures as soon as my son emails the photos he took. I did spend the extra 45 bucks on the NMEA cable so my Garmin 182C talks to the radar. Everyone I talked to at Furuno and Garmin said it was best to do it this way.
We did not cut the cable between the radome and the display. Instead of coiling the wire, we routed it "out and back" and secured with wire ties to the existing harness.

I have not had the opportunity to take the boat out yet, but the weekend is coming.

Clean install. The Radome sits slightly above the gps "mushroom" antenna with no interference in signal.

Now I will have to deal with the boat cover. I don't think it will fit anymore with the raydome. If necessary, I will cut a hole in the cover and sew in a custom dome cover. I have some sunbrella for the window cover project I am in the midst of. Just waiting to get the sewing machine back from the shop.

I appreciate all your input.

John
on
Swee Pea
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good deal John.... If you do not want to wait to try it out in the water... go park in a Walmart or church parking lot and fire it up.... you can watch the traffic...and get use to time, distance and movements...and not sure if yours has one of those target trackers or not...but that takes some time to learn. FreeByrd is the 1st boat I have ever owned WITH RADAR... As far as the NEED of it....well, let's just say I had no idea of what I was missing...no pun intended. Much comfort added to night boating...that picks up those who think they should fish at night with zero lights on..., or, when that fog rolls in early morning and you need to go...or catches you out... It is still an AID to navigation...not a navigator.. like... I learned.... river nuns move around a bit from time to time due to high water floods...and current ....and they may be where they are and "spot-able" on radar....but, you still have to watch that depth and make sure they simply have not shifted a bit out of channel. I love mine. Yes, a big ol pill to swallow during inital purchase... Another reference would be the NEED for AC, automatic transmisions, power windows.... I feel sure most of us have operated a vehicle without them...but a look at most of our vehicles would more than likely show a large percentage...and a beverage bet....majority of us drive with cars with AC, auto trans, and power windows.... Our needs sometimes change.. Look forward to some pics. Byrdman
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, where "out and back" did you route your cable. There's less than 6 feet between my display and the radome with 30' of cable. Out the bottom, over the transom and back up the side maybe?

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Swee Pea

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:03 pm    Post subject: FURUNO INSTALL Reply with quote

Naturally, the cable connects from the raydome to the dash unit, mounted on the "dashboard" just to the right of the helm, next to the 182C. The cable then runs from behind the instrument console back past the captain's chair, behind the ice box, under the sink, then makes a u-turn back the same way from which it came. It follows the main factory wiring run and is tucked and wiretied to it.
Thats about the best I can describe it.

It's too dangerous to go to the Walmart parking lot. Open 24 hours a day and the wife loves Walmart.

At dinner tonight, she asked me why I needed this new toy. My response was exactly as mentioned - some people get game boys, plasma tvs, cd changers in thier cars, 17" wheels and tires. Radar improves safety if used properly. And anyway, if this is the worst thing I spend money on, it "ain't too bad". With cigarettes at 3.00 a pack, a pack a day habit will cost you $1095 a year, just about the price of the radar. Would she rather I smoke?
Think that one will fly?
(actually, she's a sweetheart and really isn't upset. )

John
Swee Pea
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John, my extra cable is coiled up on the top of the electronics shelf and I'll probably leave it there although shortening it wouldn't be a technical problem except for the change in timing which I don't want to deal with.

As for the " Why do you need it" question I always have a good answer for that. "I don't have one and if I ever need it, if I've got it, then I don't have to run out and get it. Laughing "

Works pretty good most of the time, although when I went and bought a new Kubota Diesel tractor, Backhoe and attachments, etc. I had to buy her a new high speed fiberglass handled rake. I've used the tractor a lot, she has yet to use the rake. Oh, wait, she did use it once, in a threatening manner, I think Shocked Matter of fact, I'm pretty sure it was.... Smile

Charlie
Swee Pea

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject: Furuno 1623 Install Reply with quote

We installed the Furuno 1623 last week and I was able to finally post photos in the Swee Pea album today. (C-Page 5 and 6 of the album). I took the boat out Sunday to Lake Anna State Park in VA and all systems are go. I have the Garimn 182c GPS, fishfinder "black box", and Furuno radar. The Garmin "speaks" to the Radar regarding position. I did buy the cable as per Furuno's recommendation. An extra 40 bucks is worth the piece of mind.
The factory light still clears the radome so I did not need to buy a new one. The GPS works fine with no interference from the radar. I just need to learn to use the radar.

John on
Swee' Pea
dogon dory

State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: DogOnDory
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Folks - Post Deleted By Author

Last edited by dogon dory on Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
C-Sick

City/Region: Renton
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Gratitude
Photos: C-Sick
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:22 am    Post subject: How critical to separate radar cable from power? Reply with quote

It appears that if you loop your extra radar cable back through the rear cockpit gunnel that you are going to be running it parallel to a variety of power sources. Does this present a problem. I am ready to mount my next week.

Any suggestions on how to address the fact that my 1623 Furuno bolt pattern does not line up with the pre drilled holes in the radar arch. The no brainer is to drill new holes in the arch plate.

C-Sick

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:26 am    Post subject: Almost There Reply with quote

I have the radar arch installed.
The radar is mounted on the arch with the cable running into the cabin.

Question? Should the power source for the LED be wired into the main panel with the other accessories or do I run it directly to the battery. It does have an inline fuse.
Swee Pea

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is wired to the panel. I was rereading this thread and am happy to report that my $890 Sunbrella boat cover still fits over the radar dome without having to cut and stitch. The all around light that mounts on the roof clears the radar arch and no replacement was necessary.

I had a Coast Guard Aux safety check done on Swee Pea and passed with flying colors. The gentleman liked the C-Dory (what human wouldn't?) and asked if I wanted to join the AUX. I probably would if it was not for my second and third jobs.

Thanks to you all on this great site for all your advice and great ideas.

John
Swee Pea
C-Sick

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:58 am    Post subject: Screen Locations Reply with quote

I would love to hear from you experienced folks who DO NOT have an integrated system. Where is the best place to locate the LED Screen in relationship to my Garmin 182 C Plotter.

The Plotter is currently dead center on the dash above the steering wheel. I am thinking of hanging the LED upside down from the shelf at a good angle for viewing.
Swee Pea

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not wish to make any of you folks angry, but I personally do not like hanging anything from the shelf, bottom down. In my humble opinion, it blocks the view out the front windows. It also puts neat little bumps on the forehead???? I see that many of you brats do, so I may be wrong. I have a portable clip on turbo fan to assist with air flow and windshield defogging, and it clips to the shelf. What a pain in the pants. I just don't like clutter. I guess its a trait from my Italian mother.

I would move the Garmin 182 to the left or right and mount the Furuno screen on the dash next to it. I did and I still have an unobstructed view. The Furuno mount will cover any previous hole you may have drilled for the 182 (hopefully). I have some install pictures in the Swee Pea album.
I am not saying that this is the best way, I'm saying that it is the way I did it and it looks clean and is really functional without obstructing the view.
One man's opinion. Don't wish to hurt anyone's feelings. Maybe some of you who do mount from the shelf down can debunk my theory. I'm just a newbee putting in my 2 cents.

Good luck anyway you decide.

John
Swee Pea
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swee Pea wrote:
I guess its a trait from my Italian mother.
John
Swee Pea

I've got one of those too Rolling Eyes My sympathies!

My display is mounted to the bottom of the shelf, but it's as far forward as I can get it and situated so it blocks very little actual window viewing from the helm because the wide vertical member between the windows is directly behind it as seen from the helm position. Because it's way forward, head bumping is pretty unlikely even for the altitude advantaged. Here in So Cal, I'm a "Hooligan Navy" scofflaw, so it's not even on unless needed and tipped up as shown keeps it totally out of the way.

I do like the fact that it stays well within peripheral vision while in use, though it would also do that on the dash but it was a hard enough job finding a spot for the compass that wasn't affected by electrics/tronics yet useable in a pinch.
Hey, what's to get angry about? Some folks like Dodges and Lattes, but it doesn't mean we can't still get along....

Don
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: