View previous topic :: View next topic  
Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject: Erie Canal, Trent Severn, Rideau? Reply with quote

We're beginning the early planning steps for some NE/Canadian 'canal cruising for the summer of 2013.

I'm not familiar with the area (yet). Is it feasible to try to do all three canals in one longish summer cruise (ie May-Sep), or would that be too spread out for one summer?

Anyone with input, ideas, suggestions, routes ... Please chime-in!

A few years ago I noted a circular route (about 1100 miles as I recall) that took you up to Ottawa, and back to the Finger Lakes. Is anyone familiar with that?

Thanks!

Best,
Casey&Mary
...currently at Lagoon Cove in the Broghton's (BC)

jennykatz

City/Region: naples
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: comax in aug Reply with quote

Casey how are you guys doing i see your up in the broughtons very cool.i guess coming down for comax was to much driving anyway still coming up on aug 7th it still looks good to yvr

Yes there is a thread from El and Bill I think .The erie canal and rideau canal systems would be in my bucket list to do I have to talk admiral into it ???

ps let me know weather up there ?

00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't exactly what you are thinking of, but just in case knowing the term might help you search up some helpful resources, there is a variation of The Great Loop known as "The Downeast Loop." Here is one link:

http://www.landfallnavigation.com/ben002.html
tomtom1941

City/Region: Wildwood
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: TRAVELER
Photos: Traveler
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Rideau Canal currently Reply with quote

We are currently on the Rideau at Smith Falls. We started at Illion NY and are about 200 miles into an 800 mile loop which will take us to Ottawa, near Montreal, and then down thru Lake Champlain back to the Erie and west to Illion.

The Rideau is beautiful and the locks and lock workers are great!

We are doing the entire trip at 1600 rpm and a little over 6 mph.

I hope to post some definitive mileage information at the end of the trip for my E-tec 175. it currently appears that I am getting about 6mpg, but much better results will be had after the 800 miles.

NY state has a bargain guide for about $15 which is a must for the NY canals. The Cruising Guide to the NY Stae Canal System. Includes Champlain, Erie, Oswego, and Cayuga-Seneca canals.

Lock and mooring permits for the Canadian season are about $450. US about $60.

The Rideau is very well marked. We did not buy the expensive charts, and haven't needed them so far. Can't say yet about the rest of the Canadian leg.

We also are using Skipper Bob's "Rideau & Richelieu Canals".

Let me know if you need more info.

Tom
Rick from Maine

City/Region: No. Berwick
State or Province: ME
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunky Dory
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:02 am    Post subject: Northeast Canals Reply with quote

Hi Casey,

1. You definitely could do the northeast canals in one summer, May to Sept.

2. One loop doesn't include the Trent-Severn canal. It consists of the Erie, Champlain Canal, Lake Champlain, Chambly Canal to St Lawrence to Montreal to Ottawa, Rideau Canal and back to the Erie via the Oswego. Besides not seeing the Trent Severn, this loop doesn't usually include the western half of the Erie. In my opinion, the western half is the best half of the Erie.

3. You should include doing the western half of the Erie from Lockport or Tonawanda to the finger lakes. You want to see Seneca Falls on the Cayuga canal.

4. Timewise you can fit in the Trent Severn. But, there is no good circle route that has the Trent Severn in it. So, you'd have to either do the Trent Severn in both directions (2 weeks each way), or arrange to haulout at one end of the Trent Severn.

5. I believe that the large St Lawrence River locks require 2 people in the boat.

Rick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: