The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

3 step swim ladder conversion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maryvmcclain

City/Region: Summerlin
State or Province: NV
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Freedom
Photos: Freedom
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: 3 step swim ladder conversion Reply with quote

I know I read that someone simply took off their 2 rung ladder and replaced it with a 3 rung ladder and it actually fit on the swim step with the same mounting hardware, holes etc. I can't find the post... and our cape cruiser may have a different ladder to begin with. Both of us agree that the 3 step would be very helpful. I love to swim, but getting in and out isn't that easy.

We have the left side hand hold and are using a rope to help pull ourselves out. I'm voting for some kind of handhold for the right hand, perhaps in the splashwell.

Sorry for asking a question that might already have been answered Smile

Mary McClain
Cape Cruiser 23
"Cocoon" to be renamed Freedom which is how we feel now that we're retired...going on one month... happy and free.
Flyer

City/Region: Littleton
State or Province: CO
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take your ladder to a West Marine store and they should be able to measure it and get you a replacement 3-4 step ladder. It really does make a big difference.

As far as a handhold, what ever works but that first step makes a big difference.

Good Luck.

Rick
Two Bears

City/Region: Orofino
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Two Bears
Photos: Two Bears
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we are talking about the swim step ladder that hangs under the swim step and has a web strap to hold it up under the swim step when not needed.

I replaced my 2 step ladder with a three step. The original was a Garlock so I looked in several boating catalog sites starting with the Garlock site. In Fisheries Supply it seemed to be the same ladder, but when it came it was narrower. The swim step is solid fiberglass, so I just drilled new holes to fit the new ladder. Turned out to be an easy change and is much easier to get started up the ladder.

Chuck

jep111

City/Region: Carmichael
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1992
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Mas Que NADA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not meaning to pick nits, but I believe the company name is Garelick. I hope this makes it easier to find.

BTW, I just installed one of their 22" cockpit steps into my CD16, and I can tell you how happy it makes my wife!

Cheers!

John
rogerar

City/Region: SW FL
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Duck
Photos: Duck
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered one of these-looks like it should fit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-3-Step-Under-Platform-Boat-Boarding-Ladder-Telescoping-Stainless-Steel-/330756425472?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item4d029e8700&vxp=mtr

Roger
416rigby

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Foggy Dew
Photos: Foggy Dew
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We replaced the 2 step with a 3 step. Just replaced the ladder itself, the existing bracket worked fine. It's a Garelick. Way easier to get aboard.

Rick

At last...home for good in the Great Northwest!

2001 22 Cruiser "Foggy Dew" 2006-2013
bluegene

City/Region: Eugene
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Lucille
Photos: Lucille
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: 3 step swim ladder conversion Reply with quote

What? There is a manufactured cockpit steps [re:jep111]? I'll have to check that out to see if I can get one for our 22 cruiser. I've been telling my wife - no there are no steps you can buy, otherwise I would have seen it on the c-brats website. Our cruiser comes with a step that gets you up 12" of the 32" to the gunwale. One more step would have been a good idea. It's really a problem for my wife. Thanks, jep111.
ferret30

City/Region: Seattle
Vessel Name: Lily Pad
Photos: Lily Pad
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 3 step swim ladder conversion Reply with quote

bluegene wrote:
What? There is a manufactured cockpit steps [re:jep111]? I'll have to check that out to see if I can get one for our 22 cruiser. I've been telling my wife - no there are no steps you can buy, otherwise I would have seen it on the c-brats website. Our cruiser comes with a step that gets you up 12" of the 32" to the gunwale. One more step would have been a good idea. It's really a problem for my wife. Thanks, jep111.

I believe people are talking about the stainless telescoping ladder that hangs off the swim step, not the step in the cockpit.
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 3 step swim ladder conversion Reply with quote

bluegene wrote:

Garelick makes both 2 and 3 step units that will fit in the cockpit. We had brackets on each side so we could move it depending how we were moored. Had them on our 22, on the 16 and on my first TC255. My wIfe liked them and even my knees appreciated them. I'll try to find you a link and attach it on edit.

Here's one example . Google "garelick cockpit steps" and take your pick. Get an extra set of mounting brackets for the other side of the boat.

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA

Last edited by Captains Cat on Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
RobMcClain

City/Region: Summerlin, NV
State or Province: NV
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Freedom
Photos: Freedom
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just placed a West Marine order for an under platform telescopic 3-step made by Garlick. It appears to be an identical match in terms of the mounting brackets - model #19623. Will let you all know...

Rob
jep111

City/Region: Carmichael
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1992
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Mas Que NADA
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 3 step swim ladder conversion Reply with quote

Captains Cat wrote:
bluegene wrote:

Garelick makes both 2 and 3 step units that will fit in the cockpit. We had brackets on each side so we could move it depending how we were moored. Had them on our 22, on the 16 and on my first TC255. My wIfe liked them and even my knees appreciated them. I'll try to find you a link and attach it on edit.

Here's one example . Google "garelick cockpit steps" and take your pick. Get an extra set of mounting brackets for the other side of the boat.

That's exactly the one I got. It works wonderfully (my wife has a torn ACL, MCL and meniscus at the moment).

Cheers!

John
islandgambol

City/Region: San Juan Islands
Vessel Name: Kitty Hawk
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject: Height of Garelick cockpit steps for 22 Cruiser Reply with quote

I find 22" (H) and 28" (H) Garelick cockpit steps available. Measuring my 22ft Cruiser, it looks like 28" is the right height. Those of you who have installed these, have I figured that out correctly? Thanks,

Bob
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 22" is the one you want. I installed a set yesterday on my 2005 22 cruiser. Have had them on each of my boats.

The metal mounting brackets fit just below the cockpit side stowage boxes. Get a separate set of mounting brackets for the other side.

Charlie
islandgambol

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect. Thank you, Charlie, for that information.

Bob
islandgambol

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject: Location of mounting brackets for steps Reply with quote

Captains Cat wrote:

The metal mounting brackets fit just below the cockpit side stowage boxes. Get a separate set of mounting brackets for the other side.

Charlie

Charlie, in case there's any doubt how dense I am, now that I've bought the steps, do you attach the metal brackets to the face of the cockpit stowage boxes just below the openings in those boxes? The boxes don't seem to be substantial enough for that, but the only alternative looks like the side of the hull below the boxes. Thanks,

Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: