The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

honda carb balancing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chanty

City/Region: long island
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Chanty
Photos: Chanty
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: honda carb balancing Reply with quote

We're taking delivery of our new 22' cruiser the early part of May. Just in time for some good boating weather. We've be reading everything we can about the boat, and the 90 Honda it will come with. We're a little concerned about the four carbs on this engine. Are they sensitive, and how often do they have to be balanced? Is balancing a hard job, we would like to do most of the work on the engine ourselves. Looking to hear from other honda 90 owners.

tks, Warren
gljjr

City/Region: Fall City
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1982
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Migratory Dory
Photos: gljjr
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

While I have never had the Honda 90 outboard I have owned 3 Honda motorcycles with multiple carbs and never once have I had a problem balancing the carbs. The trick is to have a separate vacumn gauge for each carb. You then simply adjust the carb to have the same vacumn by first adjuting the mixture for maximum rpm and then adjusting the idle on each to set the vacumn the same. You will never get it perfect and it really isn't that critical. Usually the only time you need to worry about it is when you tear the carbs apart and rebuild them.

If you are religious about using a product like Stabil in the fuel before parking the boat for a long period you most likely won't have a problem.

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David-

Have you tried using the Search function on this topic? I know I've read a discussion about Honda carb balancing techniques on either this site or the C-Dolg site within the past 4-6 months. Two guys were discussing their techniques and variations on the factory recommended procedures and were describing how they used manometers (fluids in hoses strung up on a vertical surface / wall) to get the fluid levels equal which showed equal vacuum and balance. Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Redƒox

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I been useing this for the last 250-years on anything!!

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?store=Main&productId=p28274&catId=418&leafCatId=41804
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David-

Here's the discussion I was refering to:

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=1254&highlight=carb+balancing

Joe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: