The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Bottom Paint Dilemma
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
capneo

City/Region: san juan capistrano
State or Province: CA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,
Ever heard of this stuff? propspeed.com I read a good article about it recently. Could help the tug's submerged metals (prop,shaft,rudder,etc)?
Swee Pea

City/Region: Bath
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Swee Pea
Photos: Swee Pea
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Bottom Paint Reply with quote

I plan to ask some questions before using the VS721 BOTTOM WAX. You can join their discussion on thier web site. If the stuff works like they say it does, it is certainly worth the effort. The down side to their product is that the boat becomes "super slippery". They caution you about trailering without properly securing (a precaution we should take anyway) and caution regarding launching the boat. It will slide off the trailer very easily. Must be careful not to disengage the bow strap. Again, not a big deal. The only question I have is - what effect does the wax have on the gel coat in the long term if you don't want to use the stuff anymore? I think you have to use a special chemical to get the coating off.

Still, if this product does what it says it will do, it may be just the ticket in the right circumstances.

What I would like to have addressed is one of you experienced Brats doing a picture essay on using a jack and stands and lifting your boat off the trailer so waxing or painting or whatever can be done off the bunk or roller trailer. So how about it, chaps? (I'm one of those learners that needs to see what you are talking about)

John
Swee Pea
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swee..... there is a "soft" almost liquid wax, not requiring buffing, that leaves a dull finish and washes off easily with car wash. West Marine has that on their site. That is the type I have used the most. I think it is not popular cause it looks a bit like you smeared diluted 'snot' on the hull, but it is relatively cheap, goes on without hard work (just spread on), and sprays off without physical scrubbing.

I don't think it would last as long as a person might need in high fouling areas, but I used it in the Gulf of Mexico and hot, high slime lakes around here. That is the one with which I have the most experience.

Like I said, tho, it does not look shiny and slime/moss stick to it unless you drive around alot. I usually put it 5-6 inches above the waterline in the aft areas to allow easy cleaning... of course, under the waterline everywhere else.
JOhn

drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overton's has a 'tub' of vaseline like wax for $14.99 for 20 foot of boat that works well. It does not look good in that is kind of traps or holds the algae, etc., but most falls off upon use. Two tubs would be needed for most C-Dories other than the 16 footer, I would think. You just spread it on, let it dry and use the boat. They do warn of a slippery bottom on the bunks. I think it is called "Super Slick".

John
Brock

City/Region: Deltaville
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2006
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone else tried VS-721 Boat Wax from Aurora? I have and unfortunately it was a total disaster. I used it exactly as directed by Aurora, even used 2 other products of theirs (Boat Scrub and Boat Clean Plus) to prep the bottom for the wax. After 3 weeks at our slip on the Piankatank River just off the Chesapeake (and almost daily use of the boat), I pulled out our new TomCat 255 to discover the hull was covered with thousands of barnacles. I was able to power wash off the upper portion of the barnacles but the "cement foundation" portion is very difficult to remove. I called Aurora and they suggested that a wet towel would remove this crap. I tried this with no luck. I'm now removing small sections at a time with a barnacle/zebra mussell remover with hydrochloric acid from Starbrite. We are losing weeks of boating time to this mess. I now have a very hard time believing the claims made by Aurora on their website about the wonders of VS-721 wax. The only positive thing I can say is that it did help with launching the TomCat by allowing it to slide off the bunks more easily.

Brock

shogimac

City/Region: Klawock
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SISU
Photos: Tonie O
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rarely get time to wiegh in but having just put three heavy coats of Micron Extra on the Tonie O this thread is of interest. One gallon gave me the three coats and this is my third painting (about $60 per coat). This stuff has worked well for me and I have the boat in salt water all year except a couple of weeks. I've repainted every two years. I'd like to know what you do Casey - you have the best maintained 22 I've seen.

Shawn
westward

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Steady Eddy
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For your future plans as you describe I would absolutely bottom paint, but first I'd have several coats of epoxy barrier coat put on. A reputable vendor will remove any existing wax; abrade the bottom to give the gelcoat some "teeth" to mechanically accept a coating; repair any surface damage, etc.; apply up to 6 coats of high quality epoxy barrier coat; then finish with 2 coats of Micron CSC, Petit Trinidad, etc. per your specs. The area surrounding your outboard motor mount will be done in a different paint (usually white in color and I forget the product's name) that doesn't contain copper. If the skeg of your outboard is like mine and doesn't clear the water in the up position they can hit it with the non-copper product as well. If you plan to bottom paint in the future then don't wax that part any more as it will compromise adhesion of the epoxy. The epoxy reduces/eliminates the porosity of your hull bottom to help keep the core dry. I would also recommend having a sumbrella cockpit cover made if it's in the budget to keep the cockpit free of water. I wish you well in your future cruising. Cheers! Mike.
ffheap

City/Region: Hingham
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 1983
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Inn-The-Water
Photos: Inn-The-Water
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

I believe in the KISS principle when it comes to bottom paint. I use the cheapest bottom paint that West Marine sells, and buy it on sale when I can.

I block up the trailer, jack up the side, but a block between the boat and trailer, sand what I can get at, and paint it. I always paint around the sides of the boat.

Last year, I never got around to painting the bottom. Nothing grew. The stuff lasts longer than the manufacturers want us to think.

During the summer, I check the bottom, and brush anything that starts to grow.

Works for me.

Fred

journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got through painting the bottom of journey on. Put on 4 coats of Interprotect 2000 (3 gal) and two coats of Micron CSC (1 and 1/4 gal.)

Jacked tho boat up, and to get access to the bottom disassembled the trailer. It was a bear of a job, jacking worse than painting. Any suggestions as how to get at the bottom of a CD25?

Having left an inflatable in the Chesapeake for a week, and spending several hours degrowthing it, I can sympathize with Brock. The Chesapeake is not the place to try something new (or cheap.)

Boris
bcarli

C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Soulmate
Photos: Soulmate
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I just put our boat back in the water three days ago after hauling her out and re painting the bottom and replacing the zincs on my trim tabs. I keep her in the water year round. Its not much of a problem to repaint the bottom. I did pay the local yard to paint our boat the first time because they had to get all of the factory mold release off. The guys at the boat yard laughed when I asked how many coats I should put on. Why waste the paint they said. Since I haul every year I just put one coat on and it works fine. Maybe on a sailboat that had ablative paints more coats would be better but I think for a c-dory more coat just waste money. I also use the cheapest west marine paint they have.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: