The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

A larger Marinuat (wherefor art thou)...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Marinauts, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jingram

City/Region: Salem
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I am a bit confused... why do you need the additional length to provide both the transom door and twins. I can see it being an issue of beam, but not length of the hull unless you feel there simply isn't enough cockpit space on the 24 with a transom door. Please clarify.

As it is, the 18" and the slight increase in cost doesn't matter much to me if it is the "right" boat. That being said, I would rather see the ability to accomodate twins than the transom door. In addition, I agree with Thataway. Is a bracket on the existing hull design albeit stretched an ideal... of course not, but would it save you a $350,000 upfront development cost and still meet the needs of the vast majority of your customers, potentially.

In my perfect world this boat is slots in around the Venture 23/24 and allows twins. The transom door, while nice, especially for those getting up in age and for allowing easier ingress/egress is not something I want or need in a boat, although it would stop me from purchasing necessarily.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This brings out that all boats are compromises. Different things are important to each of us. As the price point goes up, there seem to be more options (such as a used Ranger, other pilot house boats), but the advantage of the Marinaut is easily trailerable, light weight, good ride and fuel efficiency.

Marie and were talking about the larger Marinaut and I showed her the concept. She was vehemently against a transom door. Although sitting 4 might be nice, she thought it was not a priority...

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
jingram

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI on my post above it was suppose to read "although it wouldn't stop me from purchasing necessarily."

Wish edits were not limited to the first 30 minutes.
maryvmcclain

City/Region: Summerlin
State or Province: NV
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Freedom
Photos: Freedom
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les, I was one of those very excited about the transom door...but I didn't really envision a full swimplatform... just a single engine with a narrower well, and a transom door over the swimstep....

We're cruisers, not fisherpeople, and I don't like ocean boating... so I'm guessing what I care about differs from what alot of other people care about.

We care about trailability first, then the enclosed head (with/without shower), then the transom door is the last nice to have. I do think it helps sell a boat (at least to the wife) to be able to walk onboard at the dock level... and women in general would vote for an enclosed head over just about any other convenience. Make it "pretty" like a RangerTug with woodtones inside would also get my vote.

We haven't picked up our new to us Cape Cruiser yet so I really am basing this on other boating we've done with smaller sailboats. I liked your original 246 better because of the size/weight. So, I guess I'd vote for no transom door versus this design. Since we're not in the market anymore, though, my vote isn't counting for much.

Mary
Les Lampman
Dealer

City/Region: Whidbey Island
State or Province: WA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingram wrote:
I guess I am a bit confused... why do you need the additional length to provide both the transom door and twins. I can see it being an issue of beam, but not length of the hull unless you feel there simply isn't enough cockpit space on the 24 with a transom door. Please clarify.

As it is, the 18" and the slight increase in cost doesn't matter much to me if it is the "right" boat. That being said, I would rather see the ability to accomodate twins than the transom door. In addition, I agree with Thataway. Is a bracket on the existing hull design albeit stretched an ideal... of course not, but would it save you a $350,000 upfront development cost and still meet the needs of the vast majority of your customers, potentially.

In my perfect world this boat is slots in around the Venture 23/24 and allows twins. The transom door, while nice, especially for those getting up in age and for allowing easier ingress/egress is not something I want or need in a boat, although it would stop me from purchasing necessarily.

Thanks for the questions and thoughts!

The change in length requirement is this:

With a boat designed for a single engine (assuming an 8' 6" beam) I have enough room for the motorwell for that single engine and for a transom door (really it's not a "door" but a step-through) next to it.

With an 8' 6" beam I do not have enough width for a twin engine motorwell and a transom door beside that.

In order (or one way) to get a transom door is to move the transom door (and therefore the bulkhead it's in) forward in the boat so that it's not competing with the engines for space. An 18" longer boat does that for me.

Rather than having a traditional transom that's either full height or cut down for the motor it's just made 25" tall (from the bottom of the transom to the top where the motors mount). then a bulkhead (or false transom if you prefer) is placed 30" in front of the transom (the 30" allows for full engine tilt). Since it goes clear across the boat there's then room for a transom door. This gives me a boat with twin engine capability and a transom door but I have to increase the length of the boat (relative to the same boat with a single engine motorwell and transom door) by about 18" in order to have the room to make it work.

At this point I'm feeling pretty dense about the bracket situation because I'm just not getting it. Let's just take the existing M215 and decide to add a bracket. Assuming we can just bolt to the existing transom (there's only 20" of height to the transom so I'm not sure) what do I do with the existing motorwell (and the decks that surround it)? If I don't change something then I haven't gained any space at all, I've just moved the engine back about 30". If I change anything that means a mold change for the hull mold and the deck mold. If I have to change the molds then it's cheaper to lengthen the boat then it is to change the transom and add a bracket.

And if I'm going to put a bracket on the boat (or lengthen it) then it's likely because I want more cabin space which means I also have to change the cabin top mold, the bulkhead mold, the "wing" mold (the wings hold the aft bulkhead), and the deck mold (the cabin part).

I still can't figure out how you take a boat with a motorwell, add a bracket, and end up with anything other than the same space in the original boat and a bracket on the transom.

I'm not against brackets at all. They only make sense to me (so far) for new boats that have full height transoms and offer multiple power sources or in retro-fitting an older boat. I don't see (yet) where it benefits a boat designed from the get-go for outboard power (unless you want a full height transom, and then it's still easier to just make that part of the mold).

Les

www.marinautboats.com
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have sent Les a lengthy PM about my vision of the concept of a bracket and what some other manufacturers have done.

One flaw I see in those who want the transom gate/door, is that it will still be some distance from the swim step/platform etc to the cockpit floor, just like it is now. There have to be steps from the level of the Notch, down to the floor. You just don't walk in at the level of the dock. There are a number of ways to put in steps, but for safety there also needs to be a hand rail (can be portable or in the side)

When people compare it to the Ranger it seems to be lost that the Ranger has fuel tanks, batteries, and a 150 HP plus diesel under that aft cockpit floor--thus it is some distance above the water line. The M215 or other boats which use the boat hull, or a simple 2" floor, then leave 20 to 25" of "step" down to the cockpit--not like the semi flush deck of the Ranger Tugs.
Jake

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you could design a folding transom like the Beneteau 9 to gain some cockpit space. Strays a bit from the KISS principle but still in line with the low maintenance plan that I very much appreciate as a not mechanically inclined kind of guy.

Also, bimini may not be a standard item, but it's supports do function well as hand rails in most bowriders.

Jake
Les Lampman
Dealer

City/Region: Whidbey Island
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ideas generated here have been fantastic and have lead to some really great discussions and ideas. Thanks too to Thataway for the PM with all sorts of technical information and thoughts about actual mold construction.

Now that I have a lot more information and input it's time for me to mull things over and put the information to good use. As I get the time (we are a bit busy right now) I'll present the results on the Marinaut forum here.

Thanks to all!

Les
jingram

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got back from kayaking the John Day and was catching up on the replies in the thread. I look forward to seeing what comes out of the Les!
Bill Uffelman

City/Region: Las Vegas
State or Province: NV
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at a local dealer that handles May-Craft out of North Carolina. Their 2300 and 2550 Pilot House XL models have alternate sterns with and without brackets. Offering this input for illustrative purposes only.

http://www.may-craft.com/model_2300pilot.php

Bill Uffelman
At the beach in Ocean View DE
AK Angler

City/Region: South Central
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Rod Holder
Photos: Rod Holder
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had a lengthy discussion with my wife about the options for the new, longer Marinaut. But, I'll get to that in a minute. First, a little about how we use our current boat.

We started with a CD 16, and while it's a great little boat, it just didn't have the space we needed for extended, multi-day trips in Prince William Sound. So, a few years back, we bought a 17-foot Arima Sea Ranger with a hard top. That extra foot in length, combined with an additional 1-1/2 feet of beam makes the Arima feel twice as big as the C-Dory was.

After adding some significant fuel capacity, and repowering to a modern fuel-injected 4-stroke, we are finally able to cruise PWS at our leisure, sometimes logging 250+ miles between ports. Over the years, I've added several amenities to improve the boat's performance and our comfort on our typical 3-4 day trips. These include hydraulic steering, trim tabs, a BBQ grill and gimbal stove. I even installed a Webasto diesel heater and now have dry heat and window defrost/defoggers. Heck, we even carry a portable propane shower to compliment the 14-gallon fresh water tank.

But, as many improvements as I've made, there are two things we both still want, both of which we will never be able to get in our current boat. First is more storage. I think we've found the limit of the storage capacity of a 17-foot boat. And second, but more important, we both want a real head. Sure, the porta-pot works. But, it's cumbersome and awkward. Especially using it in less than perfect sea conditions.

So, that brings us to our recent discussion about the Marinaut. Both of us love the lines of the M215. And we love the large V-berth (I'm 6-foot, 235 pounds). And, all else considered, it seems to be the perfect fit for our next purchase. But, the wife absolutely insists that any new boat we get will include a head. And she is getting no argument from me in that department. So, therein lies the problem.

Well, after a little poking around on the internet, I see that you are considering building a larger version of the M215, and that it would include a head. But, you are having trouble trying to decide just how big it needs to be.

So, if you want it, here's our two cents...

I know that we're not the typical user, and that we're not a very large section of the boating demographic. But I think stretching the M215 enough to add a head and sit-down shower (along with more storage) would make the most sense for us. We're not interested in twin motors, a transom door, or even extra room at the dinette. And, although it would be nice, we really don't need a stand up shower. Heck, right now we shower skin-to-the-wind in the cockpit. So, an indoor sit-down shower would certainly be sufficient to knock the crud off.

Again, I know you've got to sell more than one boat. But, if we had the choice, we'd prefer the economy and coziness of the stretched M215 over a wider, heavier, and presumably, less efficient M259. The M245 really does seem like the perfect "Couple's Cruiser".

89CD16A- The Navicula has been sold...
Jake

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any news to report from Marinaut?

Jake
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
portable propane shower

could you tells us more about this? I have seen them for sale but have not been able to talk to anyone that has one.

JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starcrafttom wrote:
Quote:
portable propane shower

could you tells us more about this? I have seen them for sale but have not been able to talk to anyone that has one.

Hi Tom,

We used a portable propane shower on one of our sailboats. It worked fine; also good for washing dishes. The one we had came from Cabela's. It all packs in a shell case, and you can use the case for your water source/holder. The propane fires up a coil, 2 D batteries power a small pump. You can run the water back into the case while heating it up to get hot water faster. Once the water in the case is the temp you like, it's just a matter of turning the pump on and off on demand.

Realistically, it's not much different from a solar shower, with the exception that you can have hot water anytime, not just when the sun is out. I usually figured about 10 minutes to set it up and get the water circulating and hot enough to use.

Certainly, you can do that on the stove, too. This just gives you options when you don't want to fire up the stove. On our trimaran, we generally showered out on the nets; the propane shower is portable, so it can sit out on the deck.

We use the shower in our C-Dory. Each day. No fuss. Turn on the water pump and the 6 gallon water heater easily gives two showers and dish washing.

The model propane shower we have is a Zodi, if you want to look them up.

Best wishes,
Jim

starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the report. the unit looks great but I just wanted to here that from someone. I think it would work well for us in the 27. I'm also lookin into running a cooper line thru the diesel heater n the boat. Not sure I want to take apart a 600 dollar heater and mess with it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Marinauts, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: