The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

CD 25 Tow Weight (fishing not cruising)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
A Fishin C

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: CD 25 Tow Weight (fishing not cruising) Reply with quote

Did a search but couldn't find this info.

Anyone weigh their 25 on trailer loaded for fishing (not heavy for cruising)?

Results?

Thanks in advance.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a weight breakdown for a C-25. Look at the weight list, cross off what you will not have onboard, for example if you don't have a generator on board, cross that weight off the list. Reduce where applicable, for example, if you only go out with a 1/2 tank of water, divide the water weight in half. Re-add the new numbers and you have a fishing C-25 weight.

A quick estimate would be to knock off 1000#.

Remember, there are certain basics, such as engines, fuel, water, nav equipment, anchor that are basic on all C-25s. So if you remove too much, you're not going to get an accurate weight.

Boris
A Fishin C

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! Thanks Boris, now I remember your chart..

good information.

Thanks,
Stefan
Ordutch1975

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Boatless :-(
Photos: PennyBridge
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: 8000lbs? Reply with quote

Hi everybody - excuse my ignorance I am new here. I am interested in buying a forum members 25ft boat. I have a 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee trail hawk that can tow 6200 lbs. according to the c dory specs http://www.c-dory.com/boats/classic/cruiser-25/25%27%20Cruiser.pdf the boat with trailer engine and wet weighs 4800lbs. Am I not safe towing this boat? I plan to leave her in the Columbia most of summer but trailer her to the San juans a couple times a year? The local dealer here said I should be fine as long as I am not climbing mountains which would wear my vehicle down. Thoughts? I love the boat but am a bit worried about this ? Also is there a liability insurance wise should something happen and I am over weight ?
sdscan

City/Region: Bayfield
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Joshua Barney
Photos: Joshua Barney
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2006 C-25 with twin Honda 90s, no batteries, no fuel or water, on an EZ Loader trailer weighs 7,200 lbs.
Steve
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: 8000lbs? Reply with quote

Ordutch1975 wrote:
Hi everybody - excuse my ignorance I am new here. I am interested in buying a forum members 25ft boat. I have a 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee trail hawk that can tow 6200 lbs. according to the c dory specs http://www.c-dory.com/boats/classic/cruiser-25/25%27%20Cruiser.pdf the boat with trailer engine and wet weighs 4800lbs. Am I not safe towing this boat? I plan to leave her in the Columbia most of summer but trailer her to the San juans a couple times a year? The local dealer here said I should be fine as long as I am not climbing mountains which would wear my vehicle down. Thoughts? I love the boat but am a bit worried about this ? Also is there a liability insurance wise should something happen and I am over weight ?

Those factory specs are WAY under-stating the weight of these boats. When I bought my 25, I was told "6,500 pounds all up on the trailer." The actual weight on a truck scale was 8,700 pounds, boat and trailer, some cruising gear in the bed of the pickup.

If I am remembering correctly, the Jeep Grand Cherokee is a unibody construction, not a body-on-frame. We had a Grand Cherokee years ago that was rated to tow 5,000 pounds... we tried towing a 4,200 pound sailboat behind the car and it was, in my opinion, unsafe. Even with the improved and updated Grand Cherokee, I would not tow a CD-25 with that vehicle.

Buy the boat. Use something different to tow it.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I towed my Son's Cruiseship 25 with my Yukon XL-rated to tow 6800 lbs. But that is a long wheel base 1/2 ton truck. It is also much heavier than your jeep. The Yukon did OK on the level, but the transmission overheated on the Grapevine on I 5 Calif. I would not tow a 25 with the vehicle you have, but for short distances. My son bought a Tundra rated to tow 9800 lbs, and is happy with that.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Ordutch1975

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is very frustrating that they underrate the weight of their boats? What does a 23 Venture weigh? A 22 is a bit tight for us... I really love the 25 I am looking at but you guys are probably right on towing even tho I don't want that to be the answer. Sadly I traded in my truck on this grand Cherokee 6 months ago. And part of the reason for the C-Dory would be to be able to explore different waters and join you guys on some of your group adventures.

Cry
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most owners are saying their Venture 23s are weighing 5,500 pounds and up. CD-22s seem to range 4,500 to 4,800 pounds all up.

I understand your frustration - that Grand Cherokee is a great vehicle. We had a campervan on a Dodge one ton chassis that had an 8,000 pound tow rating when we ordered our CD-25; we thought that would be a great pairing for traveling. After hearing from other owners, we realized that wasn't going to work - bought a 3/4 ton diesel pickup... which was a great match up with the 25.

There is a LOT of difference between the CD-25 and the V-23 or VD-22; not just in the weight but in the volume inside the boat. There are plenty of couples who are happily cruising with 22s. BUT, if you want more elbow room, more storage, more amenities (fridge, 30 amp electrical system), a full hot & cold pressure water system, and an enclosed head with a shower, the 25s have that, the others don't.
Ordutch1975

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - I think that solidifies it for me. I really have no where to park a second vehicle and I commute 2 hours a day. I guess I will be looking for a 22-23 tho I had my heart set on a 25. I think it will work for me.

We are chill people who like to enjoy life. When what you owns brings you stress it isn't worth owning. I think a 22-23 will be the right boat for us tho when I got on a 25 at the dealer I have to say I really enjoyed the size of it.

As my mother would say when she was still around and I could not finish my plate after scooping up too much food "your eyes were bigger than your stomach". I think that applies here.

Thanks all!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: