The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Marinaut 215 Anchor Arrangement as configured by MBC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Marinauts, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: Marinaut 215 Anchor Arrangement as configured by MBC Reply with quote

It was great service from Lewmar, I paid the shipping to return it to their service center in Jacksonville Florida and they looked at it and said we are going to just replace it. They replaced it in about three or four days with the Pro Fish model which is slightly more money. I called and explained they had given me the more expensive model they said don't worry about it. I like the horizontal shaft models as every thing is up on top. When I replaced it I installed a backing plate underneath and made the connections using a removeable bug type clamps connectors so I could reuse the connectors instead of having to cut through splices that connect the heavy conductors from the boat to the windless. So future service could be easier. We had three years worth of use out of the first unit with zero trouble till it stopped as we had purchased the boat in April of 2009 with it already installed.
D.D.

C-Nile

City/Region: Connecticut
State or Province: CT
C-Dory Year: 2012
Vessel Name: Betty Ann
Photos: C-Nile
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I changed my mind on choice of anchors after a recent trip in which I could not get the Lewmar 14 pound Delta anchor to hold in a 15 knot quartering wind in a grassy bottom. At one moment the bow was pointed into the wind, and then a moment later it would turn broadside to the wind, dragging the anchor. With the camperback in place, the boat is like a big sail, and can really exert a lot of force on the anchor in certain bottom conditions, even when using scope at a 7-to-1 ratio. So I purchased a Lewmar 22 pound Delta, and used it in Coecles Harbor in Shelter Island, Long Island, NY on July 2nd. The 22 pounder holds so much better then the 14 pound Delta. I only had 4-to-1 ratio of scope, and the boat did not budge, even in the high, shifting winds encountered when a thundershower shirted us to the north.

On the down side, you need to use the engine to release the anchor, because it really holds like the devil. And in all due respect to Dr. Bob, who is probably in much better shape than I am, it was difficult for me to pull up the anchor, even while sitting down. I find the 14 pound anchor easier on my hands and back then the 22 pounder,

The 14 pound anchor sits very well in the Windline BRM-2 roller, but this is not true for the 22 pound model. The end of the shank digs into the deck, so I had to rig up protection. The tip of the anchor is only one precarious inch away from the bow. So I have to be very careful when deploying or retrieving the anchor that I not hit the bow and damage the gelcoat.

All the above said, for emergency deployment, day-trips, and sandy bottoms where I can use sufficient scope, we will regularly use the Lewmar Delta 14 pound anchor, which I believe is the best choice for the boat. However, in tight anchorages, and certain bottoms, I will switch to the Lewmar 22 pound anchor, despite its drawbacks (for me), because it gives me the peace of mind that I know it will hold. I'll have to figure out a way, too, to better secure the anchor to prevent it from damaging the fiberglass deck. (The 22 pounder would probably work better with a Windline BRM-3 anchor roller, which is longer (23" vs. 15.2"), but it has the drawback that it is wider (3.5" vs. 1.75"), and would not be aesthetically pleasing. It would look out-of-proportion. )

Thanks,

Rich

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the anchor rollers/pulpits are made for specific brands/types and sizes of anchors. If you use one made for a a smaller anchor there are certain risks.

As for pulling up the extra 7 lbs--was it just the weight--or was there mud or grass on the anchor? I suspect that you are in better shape--both cardiac and back wise....

Grass is a difficult bottom to set in. In some areas I have had to dive with a hatchet and cut thru the grass, and then put the flukes into that bottom where I had cleared the grass.

Often one goes to a different type of anchor if he is having difficulty setting with one type. Two bottoms which are difficult for any anchor are heavy grass, and ball bearing rock. I was just corresponding with the owner of a Nordhvn 68 who went to a 150 lb Ronca--and was still having problems setting in grass....There are some anchors which are good for grass. I have a SS Northill folding sea plane anchor--sharp flukes and very long bills (like spikes beyond the flukes) which sets well in grass. That could be appropriate for a C Dory, but is difficult to stow. (I stow it folded)

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
C-Nile

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

It was not a lot of grass -- there was also silt on the anchor. We just could not get that anchor to hold in those conditions. Had we used the 22 pounder, it probably would have held. As for what part ails me, it's my hands. I had to exert a lot of force --particularly in my fingers to pull on the added weight of chain and anchor. Seven pounds may not seem like much with normal hands, but I have carpal tunnel, and probably arthritis, too. Seven pounds makes a huge difference, even when I used your suggestion of sitting down while pulling the anchor up. As for the BRM-2 roller, Windline claims it also supports the Lewmar Delta 22 pound anchor. While the BRM-2 handles the increased weight of the 22 pounder, I think it is too short for this larger anchor. People should be aware that if they intend to use a Lewmar Delta 22 pound anchor on their Marinauts, that they may want to inform Les so that a more suitable anchor roller arrangement could be installed. Really, if a person wants to regularly anchor for overnight stays, a 22 pound anchor is probably a better choice, and that person may also want to get a windlass with the caveat that it is no panacea -- that there is a proper way to use the windlass as you aptly described.

As I stated previously, for me, the 14 pound anchor is the best fit, particularly since we have found that we prefer transient berths. The fortunate thing about the Northeast is that our area is rife with transient space, albeit its expensive. We're glad we have a smaller boat.

Thanks!

Rich
Will-C

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:09 am    Post subject: Marinaut 215 Anchor Arrangement as configured by MBC Reply with quote

Wow, I would have headed into Coecles Harbor marina and checked with Nancy or Skylar and gotten a slip or a mooring ball.They will give you a free ride into town, nice showers, pool and picnic area with free charcoal grills. They sell charcoal at the marina store. Two dollars a foot for a floating transcient slip before July 4th when we were there. Check the reviews on Active Captain. I figured when you touted your anchor setup it might come back to bite you. A windless might come in handy since your crumb snatchers are hurtin to deal with that 22 pounder. Keep up the good work. Smile
D.D.
C-Nile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D.D.,

Not only do I agree with you on all counts, but am indebted to you regarding the information on transient facilities information at Coecles harbor.

It's funny, in the Connecticut River, which is a sandy -- as opposed to silty --bottom, the 14 pounder worked superbly well, as it does for day trip use. However, I don't trust it in other situations. The 22 pounder is too heavy; Les was right, and so, too, are people like you who prefer moorings and transients berths.

Thank you so much,

Rich
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich-

If I were you with your issues, I'd put a GOOD POWERFUL WINDLASS on that boat, ASAP!

I'd also add some extra chain, if I had less than 30 feet, to add horizontal pull and help the anchor set and stay put. (I prefer at least 50 to 100 feet, as long as I have a windlass to do the work for me.)

Then I'd try the 14 pound Delta Fast Set out in the problem situation, and if it didn't perform adequately, switch over to the 22 pounder. Who cares how much it weighs when you have a windlass? Wink

Problems setting in tight/dense grass or clay? How sharp is the point on your Fast-Set? I'd recommend sharpening it, but would caution you to check with the manufacturer first. You'd be taking off some of the galvanizing in the process. Sad

Good Luck whatever you do! Very Happy

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
mcc272

City/Region: Long Island Sound
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: C-Star
Photos: C-Star
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich --

You are not alone with Delta problems in that area. We had them on several boats and had issues at Coecles and Three Mile Harbor. Eventually, we gave up on the Delta. We changed to a Manson Supreme and have had no further anchoring issues. It sets hard and fast every time. Part of the problem on LI Sound and Between The Forks of Long Island is the presence of a lot of black silt and mud in the bottoms. That stuff is often so thin and so churned by boat anchors that it can be easy to drag. We find that the Manson Supreme gets down deeper and faster and it's blade looks like it is designed to stop the mule rather than plow and therefore works better for us.

YMMV.

North Star, 2011 Rosborough RF-246
C-Nile

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcc272 wrote:
Rich --

You are not alone with Delta problems in that area. We had them on several boats and had issues at Coecles and Three Mile Harbor. Eventually, we gave up on the Delta. We changed to a Manson Supreme and have had no further anchoring issues. It sets hard and fast every time. Part of the problem on LI Sound and Between The Forks of Long Island is the presence of a lot of black silt and mud in the bottoms. That stuff is often so thin and so churned by boat anchors that it can be easy to drag. We find that the Manson Supreme gets down deeper and faster and it's blade looks like it is designed to stop the mule rather than plow and therefore works better for us.

YMMV.

Jim,

You've described my problem exactly. It's a black, silty mud. This stuff was also present with weeds in the Niantic River. And we found it on our anchor in Coecles, too, but we used the 22 pounder, which held like the devil.

Regarding the Mansom Supreme, what weight anchor do you use?

Thanks!

Rich
C-Nile

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Wolf wrote:
Rich-

If I were you with your issues, I'd put a GOOD POWERFUL WINDLASS on that boat, ASAP!

I'd also add some extra chain, if I had less than 30 feet, to add horizontal pull and help the anchor set and stay put. (I prefer at least 50 to 100 feet, as long as I have a windlass to do the work for me.)

Then I'd try the 14 pound Delta Fast Set out in the problem situation, and if it didn't perform adequately, switch over to the 22 pounder. Who cares how much it weighs when you have a windlass? Wink

Problems setting in tight/dense grass or clay? How sharp is the point on your Fast-Set? I'd recommend sharpening it, but would caution you to check with the manufacturer first. You'd be taking off some of the galvanizing in the process. Sad

Good Luck whatever you do! Very Happy

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Joe,

I don't think the problem was with digging in; it seemed to dig O.K. It just didn't hold. Jim described it aptly when he said the Delta would essentially plow through the river or ocean bed silt. As I said previously, I had no problem in the Connecticut River with the 14 pounder, because it was dense sand. I agree with you about the windlass, but given my physical issues, I may be better off using transient berths and moorings as opposed to anchoring.

Thanks!

Rich
thataway

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich
I agree with joe about the windlass . It is a safety issue as well as a convince. We happen to enjoy anchoring over marinas for many reasons, and this is why we often use the boat over the R V.

An anchor is a safety device. With physical disabilities the windlass makes a lot of sense. Plus anchoring is used for many other reasons than overnight.

Sand is the easiest bottom to anchor on. I can see where the Manson would work better in those bottom conditions.
Will-C

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: Marinaut 215 Anchor Arrangement as configured by MBC Reply with quote

We just got back June 30th from a week long trip to Block Island , Montauk, Coecles Harbor, Sag Harbor, Greenport. We anchored out in the salt pond at Block Island a couple nights. Not to derail the thread but I suggested the marina or a mooring ball might be an option where the anchor you have on board might not hold in a given area. I mean instead of springing for a new anchor with the new anchor roller etc. that will hold in a few problem areas. Anchoring out is something we enjoy. But we also like to see the towns and maybe a restaurant or two. Sometimes when anchored out showers can be harder to come by as we have been treated like a step child trying to get showered up. Also I like the idea of the going on my land based tours with the boat in the relative security of a marina rather than dinking in and leaving my boat hanging on a hook in a more secluded setting. But each to his own.
D.D.
thataway

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

since we are on this side track--and maybe this deserves a separate thread.

Are there others who feel more secure in a marina than on the hook?

The 3 times my boat has been boarded with intent to steal items was in a marina. On the other hand, we did have a new 13 foot inflatable and 25 hp outboard stolen when at anchor. Also had one native come aboard uninvited--he was repelled. Have had iffy with drug situations twice when at anchor--one in a marina. Granted, I may have been in higher risk areas than most C Dory owners. Some countries we specifically avoided the marinas....because of the crime.
mcc272

City/Region: Long Island Sound
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: C-Star
Photos: C-Star
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich --

My Manson Supreme is 25 lbs which works well on my boat which is heavy at 9,300 lbs. I got the dimensions off the manufacture web site and determined that it would fit well in my roller which, indeed, it does.

See you on the water one of these days.

Off to Three Mile Harbor in the morning.

Jim
Connecticut Side of LI Sound
C-Star, 2004 22 Cruiser (sold 10/10)
North Star, 2011 Rosborough RF-246
ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to be on the hook 6 out of 7 nights. I like to treat a marina night as a job day. Easy acces to fuel, water groceries laundry and maybe a lunch out. Take a break tie up and do all the chores. I too have a feeling security on the hook is easier than in most marinas. Our most hit marina in town for theft is the Nanaimo Yacht Club. No liveaboards. Help yourself. When I take moorage for an extended period I want liveaboards around. They know me and I know them. Great help on security.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Marinauts, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: