View previous topic :: View next topic  
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:30 am    Post subject: B10 and Pacific Salmon - 2005 Reply with quote

For Immediate Release Friday, April 15, 2005
Commission approves ocean salmon season, lamprey protection

SALEM - The Oregon Fish and Wildlife Commission today approved the 2005 sport and commercial ocean salmon angling seasons along the Oregon Coast.

In addition, modifications were made to the fall salmon bag limits in the Columbia River.

The Commission approved proposals issued earlier this month by the Pacific Fishery Management Council. The seasons are set to allow the harvest of healthy stocks while protecting stocks that are listed under the federal and/or state Endangered Species Act.

Overall, 2005 recreational regulations for most waters are similar to 2004, except coho quotas are reduced from recent years. Details are available on the Pacific Fishery Management Council Web site, www.pcouncil.org.

The adopted rules, which will be published in May and distributed through ODFW offices and license agents, include:
* In the ocean from Leadbetter Point, Wash., south to Cape Falcon, Ore., the salmon season is open Sunday through Thursday, July 3 - Sept. 30, or until attainment of a 60,900 coho quota. The season closes Aug. 1 between Cape Falcon and Tillamook Head. The allowed bag limit is two salmon per day, only one of which may be a chinook. Retained coho must have a healed adipose fin-clip. Consideration of opening the fishery seven days-per-week will occur in late July.
* In the ocean from Cape Falcon south to Humbug Mountain, the salmon season is open seven days a week, March 15-Oct. 31, for all salmon except coho. In addition, the season is open for the harvest of coho June 18-July 31, until or attainment of a 40,000 coho quota between Cape Falcon and the California-Oregon border. Retained coho must have a healed adipose fin-clip.
* In the ocean from Humbug Mountain south to Horse Mountain, Calif., the salmon season is open seven days a week May 21 - July 4 and Aug. 14 - Sept. 11, for all salmon except coho. In addition, the season is open for the harvest of coho June 18 - July 4, or until attainment of a 40,000 coho quota between Cape Falcon and the California-Oregon border. Retained coho must have a healed adipose fin-clip. The minimum size limit for chinook is increased to 24 inches.
* In the Elk River Terminal area and Chetco River Terminal area, the late fall seasons are the same as 2004.
* For the Tillamook Terminal area, several changes were adopted for 2005. The definition of the triangular control zone during the spring fishery off Tillamook Bay is redefined, using Pyramid Rock and Twin Rocks, due to difficulty maintaining the existing markers. Ocean size and bag limits now apply to the Tillamook Terminal area, except that only fin-clipped chinook may be retained inside the triangular control zone during March-July, and the north coast weekly and annual bag limit still applies to the Tillamook Terminal area.
* For the recreational fishery from Buoy 10 upstream to Tongue Point, beginning Aug.1, the two-fish daily bag limit may include only one chinook.
* For the Columbia River recreational fishery, from Tongue Point upstream to Bonneville Dam, beginning Aug. 1, the two adult salmon or steelhead bag limit may include only one chinook.

In other fisheries news, the Commission adopted rules to limit the illegal commercialization of lamprey and provide additional protection to the species by banning the use of lamprey as bait in all commercial and recreational fishing.

The action maintains the existing harvest regulations for the lamprey fishery at Willamette Falls, but prohibits using lamprey for bait in all commercial and recreational fisheries starting May 1.

Pacific lamprey have been harvested traditionally by Native Americans as a food source. Pacific lamprey are protected by state law, and have been petitioned for listing under the federal Endangered Species Act as they have declined in distribution and population abundance in recent years. Harvest of lamprey for re-sale or commercial use no longer is allowed in Oregon.

The Oregon Fish and Wildlife Commission is the policy-making body for fish and wildlife issues in the state. The seven-member panel meets monthly. The next regular Commission meeting is May 13 in Prineville.
###

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hosted by the Oregon State Library

TyBoo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gonna be a pretty tight window for a salmon/sturgeon twofer this year.
UncleRichie

City/Region: Bainbridge Is.
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Critter
Photos: C-Critter
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, just read that they are going to meet this tuesday on springers and weather they are going to shut it down because of poor returns or not. Bummer hope they can keep it open for awhile.
Richard
B~C

City/Region: Bend
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WAHOO, the big pond opens this Sunday. I'm ready, this week I changed all the fluids and filters in the engines, adjusted the valves & carbs, checked my wiring over, mounted all the salmon harvest equipment and gave the hull the "Easy On" bottom coat treatment to help keep the cooties away....see ya'll at the CR bouy Smile
Adeline

City/Region: Vancouver
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Adeline
Photos: Adeline
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go get 'em And don't forget to take lots of photos for those of us who are landlocked.

B~C

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pic, it's really got me itching now. Sunday & Monday call for a nice ocean and an incoming tide all morning Smile

My regular fishing buddy has football practice Monday the 4th, I may need some help on the kill deck, anybody interested?
reelist

City/Region: Salem, OR
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B~C wrote:
Nice pic, it's really got me itching now. Sunday & Monday call for a nice ocean and an incoming tide all morning Smile

My regular fishing buddy has football practice Monday the 4th, I may need some help on the kill deck, anybody interested?

Ken;

I'll send a pm as well... Thanks for the reply to my other post, "Not yet a owner". This is Mark and I'm thinking a trip with you on your 22' would be wonderful! If you still have an opening I'm willing.

Tho I do live a ways away I've been to Ilwaco quite a few times. I'd just need to leave reeaal early..!

Let me know if it'll work. Mark Send a pm or mark.stuller (at) gmail.com
TyBoo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reelist wrote:
This is Mark and I'm thinking a trip with you on your 22' would be wonderful!

Good job, B~C. You hook him, and we'll clean him and fry him!!

Mark - Yeah, this is something you want to do, for sure. And I concur with the others' advice to hunt down a used CD22. One trip on the Blue~C, and you'll see why.

I hope to be seeing you all out there. My big plan is to hit the lower river at 4:30 am Monday, try for a sturgeon or too until low slack, and then head out to the bar and beyond for some little salmon.
B~C

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pm recieved
reservation for Mark, party of one for Monday morn, bring donuts. Low tide is at 6:14 so if we could get underway by 6:30 that would be great. I will be found at M24, if you scroll down to the bottom of this link, it has a map http://www.portofilwaco.com/html/moorage_rates.html

If the ocean conditions change it may just be a sturgeon trip, that's the beauty of this time of year, a person can always stay inside and watch Mike and cew catch big fish if the bar is bad.

Mike, if tradition holds true, I'll probably about broadside you as we leave the Ilwaco channel. Jr Buckwheat & I will out on Sunday, see you on the water
TyBoo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am off to the boat for the night. My daughter will be down in the morning as soon as the bait shop gives her the fresh herring, and we are going to go anchor for a sturgeon and then head out to sea when the tide shifts. Back into the river by noon. The salmon are there, but hard to find. Most that were caught came from 5 miles or so south of the CR buoy, and the catchin' was spotty according to the ODFW guy at the dock. Don't matter. If the ocean is as nice as it was said to be today, we're going. Talked to B~C on the cell phone, and he is at Ilwaco on his boat waiting for two passengers in the morning.
Mr. Fisherman

C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Sea Lion
Photos: Sea Lion
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you guys are gonna have a very happy ocean tomorrow, erm today. Good luck and take some pics for us land locked brats.

Live to Fish
Fish to Live
TyBoo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful day on the ocean. We only caught fish that we had to throw back - six native silvers, one King that we could have kept if I was sure about the length limit, and a mackeral. We ended up several miles south of the CR buoy, but had a great run back up and in. Even getting checked by the state police out there wasn't a problem.

And, before we headed out, we got a sturgeon. I told my daughter we were going to pull anchor and head west at 6:30 am, but at 6:28 I said we would go until 6:45. At 6:32, we hooked the keeper. Had three or four short guys in the hour before that.

Saw B~C out there selling C-Dorys, and saw Tim inside catching sturgeon.

Now we are all headed down to the boat to go out and find the Lynn Marie to watch the firepops with them.

Good day, it was.
stevej

City/Region: Gaston
C-Dory Year: 1995
Vessel Name: Shearwater
Photos: Shearwater
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a great day Mike, going to Newport next weekend and may try for some salmon then but thinking the focus will be on tuna. How was the ocean?

stevej

1995 25' Cruise Ship #3
B~C

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, a beautifull day on the ocean it was SteveJ, the fishing was slow untill we decide to leave the Mackrel fishing fleet and head north. Scratched around north of the #1 bouy untill we found a good rip and scored a pair of nice Nooks. We stopped off on they way in and caught a few bottom fish. I was nice to see the Tyboo floating around out there in search of mighty Mackrel.
Mark was a pretty durn good guest and I think I have him talked into one of them new fangled Tomcats Smile
TyBoo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Far out, B~C. Tell me some more about the bottom fishing. I've never done that, but my regular fishing partner is trying to get me interested. Were you over by the sunken jetty?

Good that you got that gentleman into at least a couple salmonids. We sure don't want him thinking that CDs are only good for mackerel snagging. We had more action than most folks out there, but nothing for the freezer.

I suppose you have the durn summer off and will make the salmon catch quota run out early, leaving us poor working stiffs with nothing. I doubt I will get another outside jaunt until after the SJs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: