View previous topic :: View next topic  
berryst

City/Region: Kingston
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Margaret Ann
Photos: Sea Major
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: raising the seat Reply with quote

My passengers complain that the seats are too low. They all want to sit up and look out the front windows. I can think of a couple of ways to do this;
First a seat on post with a swivel ....across from the helm ,
2nd raising the "box" under the back seat...just build it up.
Does anyone have thoughts on this.
The newer dories all have seats that are higher I believe so for them its not an issue
Chris

dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what the setup is on the port side of the '85 angler. But, if it works, do a search for boat seat pedestals. They come in various heights, swivel, and the seat can slide back and forth if you want that.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
Valkyrie

City/Region: Loudonville
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Valkyrie II
Photos: Valkyrie
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris,

You can easily raise the helm seat with wooden blocks. We have a nested album in Valkyrie's album showing how to do so.

I had our canvas guy put denser foam in the helm seat, which raises the seat, as well. We thought of doing the same with the passenger seat, but didn't want to make it too hard to sleep on ( our dinette drops into a berth ). My wife usually sits on a throwable cushion when in the passenger seat.

Hope this helps,

Nick
"Valkyrie"
sweet pea

City/Region: Gulfport
State or Province: MS
C-Dory Year: 1998
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sweet Pea (SOLD 10/2012)
Photos: Sweet Pea
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased these for my 16 Cruiser. Garelick 3100360 Tru-Lock 1000 Low Profile Surface Mount Boat Seat Swivel / Slide.

They raised the seat about 3 inches, have swivel with 8 position lock, and 6 inch slide adjustment. $99.95 each

http://greatlakesskipper.com/product/99_157-boat-seat-pedestals-and-parts-seat-slides-swivels-and-heads/19555-garelick-manfuacturing-company-garelick-3100360-tru-lock-1000-low-profile-surface-mount-boat-seat-swivel-slide.html

Capt. Charles
cedarecho

City/Region: Juneau
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1982
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: Veryln
Photos: VERLYN
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are fighting the same issue. We have only had the boat on the water twice before the tear down and rebuild but I am looking for solution also. This weekend will prove weather we need to make a major change or not.

The port side forward facing seat we made a set of blocks out of 2X4's to raise it up so that my wife can see out the windows, and we remove it when we use the table. The issue is storage space for the blocks is going to be an issue on the longer runs.
berryst

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like a simple problem but not so fast. Raising the port seats in a permanent way probably means raising the table and the floor too. Raising the table has its own issues but a raised table gives the right table height for the helm seat. ...great for cards.
Raising the floor gives the the right height for the back port seat and the front port seat facing to the rear....but the front port seat flipped around and facing forward does not leave very much leg room.
I have an Angler so maybe I will just have to improvise. I sort of hate to loose the bunk that the table makes when its down by putting a permanent front seat. Right now that bunk runs form the tip of the bow to the bulk head. Then if the seats are down where do they go ..out to the deck?
I am rambling a bit and I'm sure this is confusing by now but I am bound and determined to fix it. Right now I'm leaning to raising the back port seat in a permanent way (by building the seat box higher) with a flip down seat and a swivel front port seat on a pedestal. This way I pick up a little storage under the new floor and the back seat. I just wonder if I'm missing something. ...maybe not. Is raising the table going to make new issues when its secured to the wall.....hmmmm. So many great ways to go terribly wrong.
Chris
potter water

City/Region: Logan
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: R-21 Tug
Vessel Name: Poopsy
Photos: Still C-razy
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

West marine has a nice fully portable and inexpensive folding seat with an articulating back. The bottom of the thing is cushioned so there is no harm to the existing seating. It raises the seat height about 3 inches. 49 bucks, easy to store. Just a thought.

Never let ignorance interfere with an opportunity to state a knowledgeable opinion

Testosterone Tales-Amazon.com

2006 C-Dory 22 Cruiser 2008-2014
1997 Ranger Tug 21 Classic 2016

KG7RC
sweet pea

City/Region: Gulfport
State or Province: MS
C-Dory Year: 1998
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sweet Pea (SOLD 10/2012)
Photos: Sweet Pea
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That west marine seat is an excellent idea. I seriously thought about it before I purchased the Garelick swivel slide seat mount!
berryst

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou every one..I'll try the simple cushion seat and see if it works.
Chris
Connie Fisher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The seat set up in our 19’ must have been designed for a short legged, long torso person. Also, as the seat turned it wore on the cushion behind it.

The obvious solution was to raise the seat, it took a while with several options, but finally came to the easiest way (for us) was to purchase a 7” Attwood Economy Pedestals from Cabela’s and have our local machine shop cut it down to 3” high.

For Connie’s seat, the 7” Economy pedestal was cut down to 4” which worked best for her.

Thought the information would help others that are personalising their C-Dory’s.

Regards,

Ron Fisher

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=Lil-Sis&id=seat11&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

"We Have Met The Enemy and He Is Us"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: