View previous topic :: View next topic  
Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:28 pm    Post subject: C-Map NT+ ...GOOD NEWS/BAD NEWS Reply with quote

I've just gotten off the phone with a C-Map vendor in Texas. I called him to confirm/refute some information I'd gotten regarding changes to C-Map NT+ coverage area(s).

As you probably already know, C-Map NT+ chips come in various coverage areas (Local, Wide, and Superwide) with correspondingly increasing prices. Very shortly (ie. "...in about two weeks") the Wide chip coverages will be increased (good news) in virtually all instances. Although my source wasn't positive, he thought the cost ($199 ea) would likely remain the same.

The BAD news is that "Superwide" chips (retail: $299 ea) will no longer be available when the new stuff comes out. The Superwide chips, although horrendously expensive, generally cover a significantly larger area than the Wide chip, and may ultimately be the best purchase if you cover a lot of ground (...er, water).

C-Map is introducing a new product known as C-MAX that will have significantly increased capabilities, coverage areas; and I'm sure massive Prices! However those chips will only work on certain units. They will not work on RayMarine equipment.(...guess what I have installed on Naknek. Yea...RayMarine)

The result. I am giving serious thought to buying a Superwide chip (or two...) while they are still available. If anyone is using RayMarine/C-Map hardware and wants to discuss a joint purchase/sharing; please give me a call ASAP. (Cell: 602-418-8267 )

SailtechMarine.com (1-888-472-4583 talk to Dick) sells the Superwide NT+ chip at $184.99 + shipping; a significant savings off retail.

If anyone knows where you can buy C-Map NT+ chips cheaper - let us hear from you!!

If interested - Please send me an email ( lorencasebeer@aol.com ) or give me a call.

Casey
C-Dory Naknek
Aiviq

City/Region: Juba
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Aiviq
Photos: Aiviq
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might already be to late. A couple weeks ago I ordered a NA-C821 card (Dixon Entrance to Kodiak Island), but was shipped a NA-C801 card (South East Alaska). The vendor said that the super wides had been discontinued. I had to buy a NA-C802 card (Gulf of Alaska) to complete the coverage I needed (PWS, resurrection bay, cook inlet). It seems unlikely that raymarine will issue the necessary firmware update to run the MAX card, since they no longer sell products using C-MAP. (But it would sure be nice if they did).

Jim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: