View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tad and Toby Jackson

City/Region: Merritt Island
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Comfy Dory
Photos: Comfy Dory
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Replacement Lens for Bomar Deck Hatch Reply with quote

Does anyone know where I might find a replacement lens for the Bomar Hatch on our 22' Dory / 1995? On various sites, I can find other replacement lenses or new hatches, but not the lens for this hatch. Can anyone confirm that the hatch on our boats is the BOM-N203910A? I can only find a sticker on my hatch that has #92039522 and the stamped # on the frame itself that says: 2039A 5 05 93.
I cannot seem to find a contact # or website for Bomar itself...only contacts for other marine suppliers of Bomar parts.

Thanks in Advance for any help...Tad
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the answer to your question, but I believe Bomar is one of the divisions of Pompanette, and so they may be able to help you. Here is the parent website (there is a sub-category for Bomar once you go there):

http://www.pompanette.com/pompweb.nsf/?Open
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS: Well I have a hard time resisting a parts hunt Wink, and I needed something to do while finishing my coffee, so I gave Bomar a call and asked them (I hope you don't mind).

I spoke with Tracy at Bomar, at phone number 603-826-5791, and here is what I found out:

1) The number 92039522 that you have is the serial number for your hatch. Tracy at Bomar was able to look up and find the number in order to determine the part(s) you would need.

2) You can order the lens directly from Bomar. It is a "1/4" thick smoked lens with holes," and has a lead time of 2-3 weeks. It costs $116.55.

3) They recommend a new gasket when installing a new lens. The gasket costs $5.25 per foot.

4) I asked if they recommended a particular sealant, and they said they recommend GE Ultra Glaze.

Part numbers for reference (Bomar typically uses your hatch serial number to look up parts but I always like to get a part number Very Happy)

Part number of your hatch: N2039-10A
Part number of lens for your hatch: P2000-82-2039
Part number of gasket for your hatch (sold per foot): P2000-25

You may want to double check my info before ordering, as I was taking rapid-fire notes, and since I was not actually going to be ordering the parts for myself, I didn't want to take up too much (more) of her time with repeating back, etc; but this may give you something to go on at least.

Sunbeam Hot

PS: I just did a quick search for the entire hatch, and it seems to be in the $500 range. It also looks there are accessories available, such as screens and shades.
Tad and Toby Jackson

City/Region: Merritt Island
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1995
Vessel Name: Comfy Dory
Photos: Comfy Dory
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam,

Wow! No, I do not mind at all that you contacted Bomar as I was just getting frustrated. Where did you find a number for Bomar? I will follow up and contact Tracy to confirm the info and place my order.
You provided everything that I will need for this project. I broke the lens this past weekend while sitting on the edge (or so I thought) of the hatch while hauling the anchor on the ICW down in the Jensen Beach, St. Lucie River area. Thanks again for your help and I hope I can return the favor sometime.

Tad
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tad,

I got the phone number by going to the Pompanette page and then going from there to the Bomar/Gray tab at the top, which is this page:

http://www.pompanette.com/bomar

After that, if I remember correctly, I think Tracy answered directly (or at least I did not have to "go anywhere else" via phone).

It must have been a bit of a sinking feeling to have your hatch crack Cry - so I hope this works out. Maybe your old one was at least scratched or something to make the new one an upgrade? Teeth

Sunbeam Hot

PS: I do know what you mean about getting frustrated about web searching for a manufacturer vs. someone who simply casually carries or sells the products (which may or may not work when you have more involved parts research to do).
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is some great info to be filed away for use at a later date. Hopefully none of us will need it, but I am sure that won't be the case.
Adeline

City/Region: Vancouver
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Adeline
Photos: Adeline
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced the "lens" on Adeline in '95.

I ordered my replacement from Bomar.

Only later did I learn that Tap Plastics could've fabbed the same thing for just a few bucks.

Take them the cracked lens or a template and you can save a bundle. Choose your preferred tint.

While your having them cut your new acrylic you could also have them cut a hole for the new Nicro Day/Night Solar Powered Vent that you purchased with the bundle you saved.

It's easier and cheaper to have Tap do it now.

If you install it later you'll have to obtain a huge hole-saw to cut the lens in place (trickier, messier, and riskier).

You can have Nicro "loan" you the hole-saw...for a price.

Spike

City/Region: Kent
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Bootleg Hooch
Photos: Bootleg Hooch
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam
That sure was great of you to do all that for a fellow boater. Gonna keep you in mind when I need to go on a parts hunt. Just throwing in my own Atta Boy!

Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you JUST Love LOVE this site??? Love Love Love

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51
ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Sunbeam. That is such a great thing to do for another c brat. Really special. Kudos to you. I needed a friend like you when I was a teen restoring a 1961 Sunbeam Alpine! Needed really old parts. Have an awesome week. George
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: