View previous topic :: View next topic  
Not For Hire

City/Region: Cadillac, MI
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Not For Hire
Photos: Not For Hire
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Transducer mounting questions Reply with quote

I have a new 22 Cruiser and will be mounting some electronics soon. I anticipate mounting two transducers on the transom along with paddlewheels and temp sensors. (My current boat, which is for sale, actually has three). The fishfinders give different information and when traveling some rivers, etc. it is nice to have a depth alarm set under each stern corner. I like the idea of putting starboard on the stern and minimizing the number of screw holes into the boat. Anyone ever try securing starboard to the hull with only 5200 or some other glue and no screws? I thought I might cut two pieces of four inch or so starboard to follow the shape of the transom. Each piece would run from right next to the bilge hole to the respective side. Do you think this would affect the flow of water to the transducers? Should I put some screws in as well as glue in each piece? Should I just use a smaller piece closer to the size of the transducer mounting area? Any problems or second thoughts by those that have done something similar?

Thanks,

Mark
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark. Congratulations on your new baby! You didn't say what kind of propulsion you have. I've got twin Honda 45's and just use on transducer on the centerline because of that. Haven't ever seen the need for two, much less three! I use a Garmin 182C Chartplotter with the GDS 20 depth sounder module to display bottom info right on the screen in a window if need be or just digitally if not. It's a great unit.

You'll have to put a hole in sometime or later, lots more secure way to mount that transducer although since you probably won't be using antifouling bottom paint in your case, the adhesive may be enough.

If you ever contemplate putting trim tabs on the boat, it might not be a good idea to mount stuff on the corners of the transom. Just a thought.

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
digger

City/Region: Spokane
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Sik
Photos: Snoopy-C
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Good Idea Reply with quote

I think that mounting a plate on the transom for various transducers is a good idea. Seems like very few transducers use the same bolt pattern, so an auxilliary plate that could be drilled multiple times for whatever application would seem great. I would just put it in just one area anyway. When you have transducers that operate at the same frequency, having more than one on at a time causes interference and inconsistent results. So, no matter how many fishfinders, or depth sounders you have, you should only operate one at a time, unless they are operating at significantly different frequencies, which usually is not the case. Some of the newer finders have multiple frequencies, that provide a complete picture of what is happening under the boat. I'd look carefully before trying to use several finders simultaneously. You also have to be careful that they don't disrupt the flow to the motor prop. Some cavatation problems have resulted from incorrectly placed transducers. Ron
CAVU

City/Region: Spokane
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: CAVU
Photos: CAVU
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,
There have been discussions before about bonding Starboard to fiberglass. Some people say they have done it. My experiments with it have not been successful. I wouldn't trust a transducer to hold with 5200 alone. I like the idea of attaching a large piece of Starboard to the transom with two screws, well bedded in 5200. Then you can do all you experimenting with location etc. with ever drilling any additional holes in the transom. Even if you decide the Starboard had too many holes, you can pry it off, clean up the 5200 and mount a new board and start all over.
Good luck.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: