The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Camper-back
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Site Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viewfinder

City/Region: Dubuque, Iowa
State or Province: IA
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Viewfinder
Photos: Viewfinder
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: Camper-back Reply with quote

Hi All

Going to get a camper back made for Viewfinder (22-cruiser) in a few weeks. Does anyone have suggestions as to what style works best for them or doesn't? We hope to be doing some overnights this summer and it seems like this is a great addition to the boat!

Thanks,
Steve and Debbie
C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve-
I had our camper back made to extend all the way to the engines. This opens up a lot of room inside and allows access to the lazerettes.
We are in process now of having screens installed in the side panels.

KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy
Rock-C

City/Region: Salem
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: Rock-C
Photos: Rock-C
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger
Who did your camper back for you? I like the way it extends over the motor well. Will you have the back screen drop to the front of the motor well or somehow wrap around the motors?
Looks good

C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rock-
I had Peggy at Channel Islands Canvas in Oxnard,CA do the camper back. The rear panel wraps the engines and snaps outside the engine well on both sides and between the engines. The rear and side panels roll up and the straps keep them up, out of the way. The panels have screens in them with the covers inside, we are able to adjust the screen covers at full closed, 2/3 closed, 1/3 closed or full open. When full open, the covers are rolled and strapped to keep them out of the way. I don't have the eisenglass- too much trouble when they get scratched. The screens allow good visability as well as cut the wind. (Pat just wishes they would cut my wind Embarassed ) (the current pics don't have the screens in the side panels)The canopy has zippers where it attaches to the cabin so I can zip it back to allow ease of entry while tied to the dock.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

king canvas made ours. they did a really great job. we have a total of eight panals that can be unzipped and rolled up or removed. this allows for greater choices. I have fished this winter with just the back side and corner panals off. this keeps the rain and wind out and still allows enough room to run the down riggers and rods. Another thing to look for is how the canvas is attached to the roof of the c-dory. many of the canvas i have seen has the full lenght of the top held in place in a slider thingy. this requires you to take the poles out of their mounts and slide the whole top off the boat as one unit. Mine has the same thing ,plus a zipper 4 inches from the edge so i can leave the poles in place and just unzip the top, or just half the top. this makes getting in and out to alot easiers. It also allows me to get to the radar arch with out getting on the side of the boat. My top also allows me to unzipp the top from the poles with out moving them. its a really great top. if you want I can take pics of it for you.
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our new 25 will have a camperback from Canvas Riggers in Oak Harbor, WA - have just seen pix of the camperback on Bess-C made by Canvas Riggers, the first 25 they have done. David on Anna Leigh has seen it up close and approves. Main thing in any design is access, access, access! The one on our 22 by King Marine was sadly lacking in that department, we had to go back and have the zipper added up by where it attaches to the bulkhead, and no zip out door panels. Sounds like they have improved recently, from what Starcraft Tom says (Tom - time to lose the "Starcraft" part - no? Laughing). But with all of that, we kicked ourselves for not having it from day one - for cruisers, it should really be considered essential rather than optional. It functions as major additional living space in any weather.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

CAVU

City/Region: Spokane
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: CAVU
Photos: CAVU
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Viewfinder,
I just had camperback canvas made also. If you use the search function above for camperback canvas you will find an excellent discussion by Les about canvas options. I had mine made by King Marine and specified screens in the side panels. If I had it to do again I think I would not do the screens. Unless you get a much better fit around the corners and curves than I did the screens would not be of much use. I think the mosquitos would easily find their way in. Good luck with your installation.

Adeline

City/Region: Vancouver
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Adeline
Photos: Adeline
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all, I just talked to Dave at King Marine about a camperback for Adeline and have questions for those who've "been there and done that". First, aluminum or stainless? Dave says aluminum is more than adequate but I'd like to hear both sides. "Hard legs" or straps at the rear? Screens or no? Adjustable privacy curtains( partial closing)? Are the lazarrettes inside or outside? Will my Canon downriggers interfere? Finally, is there anything you wish you'd done differently or that I should be aware of? Cheers, Pete

Waterball

City/Region: Seward, Alaska
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1981
Vessel Name: Waterball
Photos: Waterball
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the least expensive part of the camper is going to be the support poles. I'd go stainless and 1". You never know when you are going to be hit by a wave or have someone lose footing and fall into it. The fello that did my top recommended it and the cost difference at the time was small in comparison with smaller stainless tubing. I'd like to do the full camper canvas in the future, maybe someday. Sad
Shaun

Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adeline,

On my 22 I had the canvas done by King Marine. They do a nice job, using aluminum and the lazzarettes are on the outside of the canvas with their usual install. On my 25 (which is 12 days from my picking her up, BUT WHO"S EXCITED??) I will be having The Canvas Riggers in Oak Harbor do the work. This is the CO. that does Les's boats. Da Nag and Dave on Sea Shift had them done there. They use S/S. Also the window material is a higher grade and there are a lot more panels which equates to more options when they are up. Dave at King Marine does a good job, don't get me wrong. But If you are spending 2K for canvas whats another $500? The camper on the 25 actually (if there were lazerettes like the 22) would have them inside the canvas. However the engine is outside.

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51
gljjr

City/Region: Fall City
C-Dory Year: 1982
Vessel Name: Migratory Dory
Photos: gljjr
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always wondered why the front of the camper back on these isn't styled like a derby cover from a sail boat. That way you would have more height right by the back of the cabin and would have the ability to see over the cabin still. Plus it would seem that getting in and out of the boat with the canvas on would be much easier.

Obviously this would require the canvas to be mounted a bit forward of the back of the top. But I don't see that as such a big problem.

Rock-C

City/Region: Salem
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: Rock-C
Photos: Rock-C
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gary
Isn't it time to update your signature block ? I thought you sold your sled.
It was nice meeting you at Lopez and I hope everything works out for that Texas boat.
Terry
gljjr

City/Region: Fall City
C-Dory Year: 1982
Vessel Name: Migratory Dory
Photos: gljjr
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the guy backed out on me this morning Sad So the sled is still for sale.

Twas nice meeting everyone this weekend as well! Hopefully I can get the other boat soon.
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary,

For those of us who are ignorant in the ways of covers for sailboats (like me), could you explain a little more what a derby cover is?

Roger on the SeaDNA

dogon dory

State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: DogOnDory
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Folks - Post Deleted By Author

Last edited by dogon dory on Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Site Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: