Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Get screens with small netting size Reply with quote

smittypaddler wrote:
The holes in the mesh work fine for mosquitoes, but are way too large to be a hindrance to no-see-ums and sand-flies, so if you're going to be in the southern states get screens with smaller mesh.

Good point, and (at least in tents) it's often called "no-see-um netting." That said, I don't like to use it for primary screening, because it passes a lot less air than regular screen does (due to the smaller mesh), which can be hot/stuffy (and there are not always no-see-ums). I don't have anything extra rigged up on the C-Dory yet, but what I have done in the past was have a second set of screens (just fabric so it stows easily - no frame) that I can put up just when needed (over the regular screening, depending on the set-up). I've used Velcro, bungee, rope, or sewn in weights on the perimeter, depending on the situation.
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To follow up: After I finally got the port-side screen/frame removed, I made my "adjustment" and then it was time to put it back in. I had managed to get it out without scratching any of the paint (minor miracle, it was so tight), but I wanted to make it easier/safer to put back in. But there wasn't room for blue tape, etc.

What I did was cut three strips out of a very thin plastic bag (Wal-Mart/grocery type) and then lay them across the bottom of the screen channel. At the same time my buddy pushed the screen up into the upper channel and then held the bottom of the screen frame against the bottom channel (thus trapping the sections of bag as I placed them). Once they were all in place, he pushed the screen up and slid the bottom into the channel. It still took a mighty oomph, but slid in much easier and no worries about scratching the paint. I was then able to slide the screen forward and aft and get the three sections of plastic bag out.

I think it would be possible next time (again, by sliding the screen forward and aft in the channel) to place the strips of plastic bag under the bottom of the screen before removing it from the channel - would probably come out easier that way.

I didn't have mine out to repair the screen - it's in fine shape - but rather because, although it slid forward and aft smoothly, the forward vertical screen frame had to be slightly "encouraged' to engage with the forward/vertical window channel. Annoying. Once I removed the screen frame I could see that there was a very slight "bend" at the corners (likely happened when they formed the screen frame). So I used strips of wood, plus clamps and the straight edge of a metal picnic table (all padded with carpet) to bend it it juuust slightly (in stages). I tested it by placing it on a piece of plywood until it fit down flat. Now it snicks into place just like the starboard side screen when I slide it forward. Ahhhh.

Plus, now I don't have to live in fear of one of the screens getting torn and not being able to get the frame out to repair it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: