The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

There's C-Dorys in Tennessee

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rokhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:19 am    Post subject: @@ Saw you C-Dory's moored in Gallatin, TN @@ Reply with quote

Hi there,

Last Sunday, 4/3/05, I was eating dinner at the Cherokee Steak House overlooking Old Hickory Lake, in Gallatin, TN. I spied some rather interesting looking boats, and walked over to find 5 or 6 C-Dory's. I was very impressed with what I saw (hands off!), and looked up the C-Dory web site when I got home.

I have been thinking that it would be fun to have a nice, affordable overnighter for cruising the inland waterways. These boats look great.

Can anyone offer their informed opinion as to how a C-Dory investment would be more worthwhile and practical than, say, buying a typical 20-odd-foot cuddy? I thought about a used Sea Ray that last summer, but decided against it at the time.

Regards,

John
Hendersonville, TN (overlooking the lake)
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John -

Uh oh. Sounds like you stumbled onto something that is destined to become a passion. Yep, we got ya.

The event in TN is underway, and the thread where you posted your discovery will be quiet for a few days. So I split your post off to this new topic, where I am sure you will get lots of encouragement to follow whatever it was that got you thinking.

So the rest of you: Can anyone think of any reasons why a CD Cruiser might be "more worthwhile and practical than, say, buying a typical 20-odd-foot cuddy"???

B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a C-Dory you'll also get 20 odd boating buddies Smile
C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A full cabin is a whole lot better than a cuddy cabin-- especially when its full of your 20 odd boating buddies Laughing
KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyBoo wrote:
Hi John -
So the rest of you: Can anyone think of any reasons why a CD Cruiser might be "more worthwhile and practical than, say, buying a typical 20-odd-foot cuddy"???

Owned a 23 ft. Sea Ray cuddy. Nice if you like the wind in your hair, wild rides, and a whole lot of depreciation. Displacement speeds are tippy and in 4-5 ft. seas it pretty much has to stay displacement or ya gotta wear seatbelts and it's WET. Pretty good offshore fishing platform, albeit exposed. No way would I spend even a full weekend in mine.

My 22 C-Dory has far better range, with an added bonus being much stingier with the gas and far quieter. Biggest surprise was the almost unnoticable transition to planing speed. I don't have trim tabs. So far, IMHO, the folks who say they're absolutely necessary have got to be spawn of the Princess who slept on the pea. A slight list just aint' that big a deal to me. Guess I'm alone in that opinion though. 3-5 ft. seas is comfortable 12 knot weather. Did I mention DRY?

A C-Dory depreciation schedule follows the Harley Davidson Fatboy schedule. Sell it in the first year, you might - *might* not get your electronics investment back. After that, and going older, just look up the new price at the time it was built, add on engine etc., and open up your checkbook. Amazing. Best way to find a good buy on an older C-Dory is to look in local papers or find someone who doesn't have access to the internet and goes by the NADA value. Rolling Eyes

Brat #483
"Jenny B" 2005 C-22/F75 sold, Oct. 2008
"C-Brat" 1993 C-16 angler/50 hp
flagold

City/Region: Abbeville
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: C-Dawg-E
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"the folks who say they're absolutely necessary have got to be spawn of the Princess who slept on the pea. A slight list just aint' that big a deal to me. Guess I'm alone in that opinion though." -- nope -- you're not alone . . .

Back to the original topic: what other boat can you tow all over the United States, live on it, pay zero hotel bills, camp out on it in the mountains, and then take it out on the water to boot?

There is none. Reason enough.

Look forward to having you join the "family."
tpbrady

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Bidarka II
Photos: Bidarka
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:31 am    Post subject: With a C-dory Reply with quote

With a C-dory I will be sure to look you up when I am in Nashville for Xmas to visit family, but you'll have to do the same when you come to Alaska.

Tom

38 Trawler Mia Terra 2012-2015
42 Nordic Tug 2015-
28 KingFisher 2009-2014
14 Jetcraft 2000-
17 Scanoe 1981-
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John --
If you had a C-Dory, you would probably have had lunch today at Steamboat Bill's with some great folks and be anchored just above Old Hickory lock tonight sharing wine with the some folks. Tomorrow, you would probably be heading down through the lock and aiming for the Land Between the Lakes -- and not be worried about a prediction for rain, since our cabins are snug and warm -- we even had the heater on this morning while making our am coffee, as the beavers splashed past.
Sorry to have missed you at Cherokees -- we ate there two nights during this Gathering. Touch base with Mike Byrd, over at Mt. Juliet -- he plans on buying a 22, and he also knows our schedule for travel and when we return hop on our lil boat and we'll give you a ride. You sure live on some beautiful water. El and Bill

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: