The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

iPad and NOAA BookletCharts
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
naptime

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: iPad and NOAA BookletCharts Reply with quote

I have been unable to download and view BookletCharts on my IPad. As soon as I try to view what I downloaded the chart disappears. They are in PDF format. I have not had any problems with other PDF documents and don't know why the charts are a problem. Any ideas?
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loaded the booklets to the Mac Air--and no problem. But to the I pad, had the same issues you had. There are better charts--which allow navigation--these do not seem to.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
naptime

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

For our trip south this fall on the ICW I will update my GPS to the current charts. In addition I have the latest version of "The Intracoastal Waterway Chartbook" which currently is updated to 2007. This chart book is excellent format for the trip. I plan to update it with current information from the Coastal Pilot, Light List and Noticed to Mariners. In addition I wanted to have a backup of the latest NOAA charts on my IPad. I thought the BookletCharts would be a good source of current information. I don't have the GPS version of the IPad so I was unsure that the Navionics application would work. I am just looking for the latest data, not trying to navigate from my IPad. Also I need to get the tides & current data for the time fame of our trip. Suggestion for My Ipad would be welcome.

Dick
Morning Star

City/Region: St. Petersburg
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Morning Star
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dick,

I loaded the 11385 Booklet Chart (West Bay to Santa Rosa Sound) on my iPad and was able to browse and read it fine. I have a third-generation iPad with the fast processor and retina display, but I'm not sure why that would matter. I'll try it later on my iPad 1 to see if I get the same results. I wasn't able to save the Booklet on my device from the Safari download, but I think that there is a way to do that using iTunes. It is nice having the information in native raster form for reference, although I run Navmatics vector charts on my devices for situational awareness when navigating.

naptime

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

Thanks for the response. I am not looking to navigate from my Ipad (non GPS), I just want to carry the latest charts for reference. So I am looking for an Ipad application that will allow me to download a selection of current NOAA charts and be able to view them. I was reading the Navionics App documentation and it warned it may not be compatible with earlier Ipads, so that is why I tried the NOAA Booklet Charts. Safari on my Ipad seems to terminate after downloading a Booklet Chart and so I see the chart for a second then all disappears. I always maintain my Ipad with the latest software from Apple so I know I have the latest operating system and Safari browser. Do you run the Navionics App on your first generation Ipad and if so what is your experience?

Thanks, Dick
Morning Star

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dick,

I run Navimatics, not Navionics. My experience has been good. My iPad 1 is a 3G with GPS. The charts are good and the Active Captain integration is a plus. I have run the Navimatics app since it was introduced and have been really happy with it.
20dauntless

City/Region: Mercer Island and Decatur Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Retriever and Nordic Tug 37
Photos: Retriever
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iNavX supports NOAA raster charts which are available as a free download. Not sure if there is a cheaper option.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have all three: Navionics, Navimatics and INavX, with the NOAA charts. You can one of several add on GPS units to the Wi Fi only i pad. The "Bad Elf" has a good reputation. I have not tried it.

I use Simple Tide and Real Tide for tides and currents.

For the great loop, I would be looking at the web sites of Waterway Guides:

http://www.waterwayguide.com/ and Claiborne Young's Cruisers Net: [url]cruisersnet.net/[/url] The local notice to mariners is an excellent choice--but many times both of these sites will have more up to date information from folks who are "there". There are many changes, especially in the Virginia to Florida part of the Atlantic Coast ICW, and they may change daily.

On the other hand, having done this in a 7 foot draft, 63 foot air clearance motor sailor, before GPS--look out the window--and look at the navigation markers, and where the other boats are...
naptime

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for their advice. I realize the land masses have not moved lately. However the sand under the water on the East Coast seems to move frequently. That's why I wanted to have an update copy of charts, etc. to review for the next day's travels while on the water. I have already downloaded the Navimatics and have started to get familiar with is functions. I will probably also get the Navionics application and see which one or both to use on our trip south.

Thanks again,

Dick
getzold

City/Region: Annapolis
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Photos: Wee Wine
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

naptime wrote:
Thanks to everyone for their advice. I realize the land masses have not moved lately. However the sand under the water on the East Coast seems to move frequently. That's why I wanted to have an update copy of charts, etc. to review for the next day's travels while on the water. I have already downloaded the Navimatics and have started to get familiar with is functions. I will probably also get the Navionics application and see which one or both to use on our trip south.

Thanks again,

Dick

New charts won't be much help, but Active Captain is excellent for the latest info and reports. Also (recommended in an earlier post) Clairborne Young's http://cruisersnet.net/

Gerry

1993 19 Angler - Wee Wine 2
http://gletzold.blogspot.com
naptime

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerry,

I have looked at both Active Captain and Cruisersnet and found very old information that if you looked at the "current chart" it has already been charted and or corrected. For me I will start with the most updated charts and notices to mariners and then add the most recent information from sites like Active Captain, etc.

Dick
getzold

City/Region: Annapolis
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Photos: Wee Wine
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Active Captain, etc. Reply with quote

naptime wrote:
Gerry,

I have looked at both Active Captain and Cruisersnet and found very old information that if you looked at the "current chart" it has already been charted and or corrected. For me I will start with the most updated charts and notices to mariners and then add the most recent information from sites like Active Captain, etc.

Dick

Dick,

Cruisers are just now starting to move north from Florida and the information that they post on Cruisernet and Active Captain will be "hours" old vs. the days/weeks old data you will get from notices to mariners. Our last three trips on the ICW passed without any incident due to those two websites. Even updated charts on that waterway have been practically worthless for us. Don't mean to start an argument, just our experience over the last several years of cruising.

Gerry
Morning Star

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dick,

I tried the NOAA Booklet chart that I mentioned above on my iPad 1. The first two times that I tried to download and open it, the Safari browser crashed as you and Bob described. The third time, it opened with no problem. I was able to tap the screen to display the "open in iBooks" button and select it. The Booklet opened in iBooks and it displays normally. I was able to save it to my iBooks Library for future use. All of this was using my iPad 1. I was able to do the same thing on my third generation iPad. The booklet chart is very usable on the iPad. Try a few more times to download it on your iPad and see if it doesn't work for you.

Jim
naptime

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

Thanks for trying it on your Ipad 1. I tried it again and was able to download and store to Ibooks one chart, size 8.31MB. It took 3 tries. I tried another chart 9.77MB and after about a dozen attempts I gave up. It appears we are running into a PDF size problem with Safari. I think I will load the charts I want on my PC and then with Itunes try to add them to my Ibook library. If that is successful I will then try and sync with my Ipad 1 and then open the charts with Ibooks. I will let you know what I find. The Bookletcharts do look good on the Ipad and will make a useful reference if I can get them there.

Dick
PeterQ

City/Region: Annapolis & Mt Victoria
C-Dory Year: 2013
Vessel Name: Sea Wings
Photos: Sea Wings
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: iPad and NOAA Booklet Charts Reply with quote

May I suggest that the easiest way to transfer Bookletcharts or most any kind of document to the iPad is through an app called Dropbox. Install it on the iPad and every other computer and mobile device you want to use. For the Booklet charts, I just got a mess of 'em on my computer and threw them into the Dropbox folder in windows explorer. Opened up Dropbox on the iPad, and there they all were!
Same goes for all kinds of documents like boat manuals, BoatUS magazines in PDF format, etc......

Pete
Smile

Hurricane SD191
Hobie Wave

Each day is a gift - especially if it's spent on the water!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: