The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

looking at repowering the Madrona

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mpdownie

City/Region: Carlsbad
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Madrona
Photos: Madrona
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:37 am    Post subject: looking at repowering the Madrona Reply with quote

Hi,

I am a long time visitor but first time poster to this site. I used to be a member of the C-Dory Owner's Group many many years ago. I purchased my C-Dory in 1995 when I lived in Northern California (in Petaluma) but currently reside in the northern part of San Diego County. I am interested in repowering my 1987 Angler 22' from its original and well-maintained Johnson 70 2-stroke with 877 hours to the new Honda BF90. I believe I have read that some here have had good experience with Specialty-Marine in Oxnard, CA. I have already been in contact with Scott who may be the new owner of Specialty-Marine. I am wondering if I should be looking at other shops as well. I don't mind trailering the boat up to Washington State or Oregon or elsewhere. Does anyone know if the current C-Dory factory in Bellingham, WA is doing repowers?. I have visited Marben Marine several times over the years since 1995. And I really liked those guys. This lockdown is making me stir-crazy and a road trip might be good for my mental health. I want to be as happy with this repower as I have been with the Madrona over the past 25 years. So getting it done right the first time is really important to me. I like this boat so much and so do many of my friends, two of whom purchased their own C-Dory's; one out of Bodega Bay (a 1985 Classic 22' Angler and the other out of Solana Beach ( a 16' Angler. On the transom to starboard, I have the C-Dory stock swim-step purchased and installed in about 1995 and to port I have a Honda BF75L kicker motor from 1988. It is my salmon troller and my insurance policy. in case I ever need to return back to port on my own without the main. In about 1995 I purchased and installed a stern stem cover /transom cap rail from Marben Marine, so the transom core should be nice and dry, I hope! Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. I am looking forward to a quieter main motor without the 2-stroke exhaust. Oh before I close, feel free to post this message in another area of this forum if more appropriate. Thank you kindly in advance for your wisdom and guidance! Mike,

Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: looking at repowering the Madrona Reply with quote

mpdownie wrote:
Hi,
Thank you kindly in advance for your wisdom and guidance!

Mike, with your many years of experience and your love for the Cdory I hope you will feel at home here and share some of your "wisdom and guidance" with us! Thank you for joining.

Regards,

Rob

kennharriet

City/Region: Grangeville
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Lochsa
Photos: Lochsa
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, I repowered our 22’ cruiser a couple of months ago. The thread is:

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=29127&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

In short, we went local with Riverview marina in Lewiston, ID. Hope this helps, Ken
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

Welcome to C-Brats.

Many people go to Sportcraft Marina in Portland, Or. because they do a great job with their motor installs; you will pay no sales tax and they tend to beat all other dealers with their prices.

We had them do our motor installs and the electronics when we bought our boat. They are detailed and the quality of their work shows.

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, another Welcome here. Also another vote for Sportcraft in Portland Ore. No sales tax, and great people to work with.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, Welcome back--or over--from the "C Dogs",

Wow--keeping that boat for over 25 years. Dedication and obviously satisfaction. I saw my first C Dory in Alamitos Bay in 1982. I said then when I get "too old to sail" I will get one of those...and I did.

The one item you are doing to notice is that weight is going to be more from the 70 hp Johnson. (Johnson probably about 258# vs New Honda BF 90 at about 100# more: 359#.). Many of us put a "Permatrim" foil on the antiventillation plate, which helps to lift the stern and push then bow down so the boat runs better in chop.

Is the C Dory going to be "boater homing" along the way? That keeps in the spirit of COVID 19 safety!--and another great feature of the boats!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you will be very happy with a Honda 90. Most people feel they are a perfect fit for the boat and I agree it is a very good choice. Both of us seem to hold onto thing a long time - I have a 45 year old Ford pickup I have had for around 35 years....and have had the CD 22 forever too. If you take care of them, and keep putting money into them, they last and last and last. Almost every day people say to me they would like to buy my old ford. And people would never guess my 22 is from the mid 90s as it looks like it was put together last week.
mpdownie

City/Region: Carlsbad
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Madrona
Photos: Madrona
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:11 pm    Post subject: repowering the Madona with a new Honda BF-90 Reply with quote

Wow, I drafted a reply but it somehow disappeared from my screen. Here it goes again. First off, thank you for all the warm welcomes, tips and recommendations with my repower project. I understand that the new 4 strokes are about 100 pounds heavier than my Johnson 70. It may take me a bit of time to get used to that extra weight on the back o the boat both under way and at anchor. I have always had a doelfin on the Johnson 70 and when used in combination with the power trim it was quite simple to keep the bow down in the chop. Yes to boater homing and no to hotels. Th C-Dory's are RV's both on and off the water. I have a question about shaft length with these motors on the back of the C-Dory's. My transom measures 20 inches, but I have a 4 inch keel that runs down the centerline of the vessel and terminates about 20 inches from the back of he boat. This I believe contributes to prop wash or cavitation in tight turns. On the newer model C-Dory's the keel fin may not be as long and may terminate further from the back of the boat, having less of an effect on cavitation under tight turns and close maneuvering. When this happens to me, I just drop the RPM and take her a bit easier. Do the extra long shaft motors perform better on the C-Dory's? I better finish up this reply before it disappears too. One of the other questions I had dealt with gauges that read the engine performance data from the Honda BF-90 which I understand includes fuel consumption. Do the standard Honda gauges read and store this data? Lastly, does the troll control come standard or is this an add-on? Thanks everyone.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have not owned a new Honda 90, but I believe the "Troll Control is extra"

My first C Dory 22 was a 1992 and the keel was similar to the 2006 boat. Your boat must be one of the very early current hull boats with the deeper keel.

There is an owner selling his boat from just down the coast in San Diego, and he put a 25' shaft with a jack plate on the boat--claimed that it was less likely to have the exhaust ports flooded when trolling.

My personal feeling is to stick with the 20" shaft. Boats do not perform as well with a prop run deep, and the drag of the lower unit. They are made to run with the anti ventilation plate right at the surface..
Desert Dory

City/Region: Tucson
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Desert Dory
Photos: Desert Dory
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My' 89 cavitates pretty good in turns also. Even before I raised the engine 2 holes to get the anticavitation plate up where it should be.

Nature of the beast I suppose. Throttle it back a little bit and it's fine but it would be nice to just power thru the turn.
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: repowering the Madona with a new Honda BF-90 Reply with quote

mpdownie wrote:
One of the other questions I had dealt with gauges that read the engine performance data from the Honda BF-90 which I understand includes fuel consumption. Do the standard Honda gauges read and store this data? Lastly, does the troll control come standard or is this an add-on? Thanks everyone.

When I repowered in the summer of 2019 with twin Honda 60’s at Sportscraft Marina, I was given the choice of three different gauge groups. First, which I chose was a basic analog with just hour meters & rpm gauges. Second, was basic digital with nmea 2000. Third, digital HD-4 gages with more ability with nmea 2000. I can’t now remember the price differences, but it was considerable. After two season with the analog gauges, I’m in the process of switching to the digital HD-4 nmea 2000 gauges, which would have been much less expensive & easier to have Sportscraft Marina do at the purchase time. Now, they will cost an approximate $1100, beyond what I paid for the original analog gauges. The HD- 4 gauge will show 2 motors data on one gauge with varies choices of data to have shown. I don’t want to flip through data menus to see all the information, I would like to, so installed the two instead of one. The HD-4 gauge does store data, I don’t know the capability of the less expensive Honda nmea 2000 gage

Jay

Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Boats do not perform as well with a prop run deep, and the drag of the lower unit. They are made to run with the anti ventilation plate right at the surface..

I did some motor swaps between 2 boats years ago. The one was too high and after reaching a certain speed prop would cavitate - the other was too low and because the front of lower leg is flat above the cavitation plate as opposed to being tapered to a point below it water was shooting straight up the transom(ahead of the motor) and filling the splash well faster than it could drain.

As Dr. Bob says the cavitation plate needs to be parallel to the bottom of the hull - at the surface of the water when on plane.

Rob
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/v12/

Just do it. two props two speed tranny and independent steering lower unit. whats not to like?

Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Another C-Brat dating back to the C-DOG days!

If you ever wondered where the name C-Brats came from, I got it right from the source and wrote it up in a blog post that you might find interesting! Also, you may enjoy the Grand Poohbah Fishwisher Dale's comment on my blog post!

Also, note my photo in this blog post has shown up here a couple of times!

For our re-power, we also chose Sportcraft, but we are still waiting for the new outboard to arrive, we are hoping it will be completed for Friday Harbor!

http://pnpsplace.blogspot.com/2009/05/what-in-name.html

("pnpsplace" was shorthand for Pat and Patty's Place!)

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

curioustraveler

City/Region: Annapolis
State or Province: MD
Photos: Curioustraveler
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat,

Interesting history. Thanks for sharing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: