The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Deck core moisture and rot
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grazer wrote:
I found the wood mostly wet, rotten all the way back approximately 3 inches. It dead ends there thankfully (or I suspect would go even further back).

Ugh! Well, at least you are getting it out of there and will have it done right when you finish. It IS irritating when you realize how much easier it would have been to just do it properly from the start (or at least use a caulk we can remove when we have to go back and fix it Cry), in which case you wouldn't be doing it now, but.... at least you'll soon have it done. Right.

Grazer wrote:
The starboard side of the opening seems to have some dry rot core with good core at the back.

You may be doing this already, but I would remove any rot, "dry" or wet. Might as well have 'er done right.

Grazer wrote:
I am unsure whether to fill the void completely with thickened epoxy (seems like a lot of material will be required) or add some filler balsa core and epoxy that in place.

I would say you could go either way, but you're right in that it would be a fair bit of epoxy ($), and you'd have to do it in stages to avoid too much heat. Adding core would help to fill it in (but keep it to just epoxy where your new fasteners will go, obviously).

Grazer wrote:
Where would one get end grain balsa core in 1/2" thickness?

I've usually ordered mine from Jamestown Distributors; not sure that is the most convenient to YT! (Of course, what is Wink) And you know, as much as I'm a perfectionist, and as much as a good bond between the skins and core is essential for strength of a flat panel.... I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that for that small area, you could probably just use anything reasonable and handy. (Marine plywood, clean foam, etc.) The reason I say that is because (presuming I'm envisioning it correctly) it's a small/finite area, and not a large, flat panel that needs ultimate strength in order not to sag or bounce. Just try to get the inside of both skins as clean (solvent) and flat as possible, then coat it with neat epoxy, then make a "bed" of thickened epoxy and mush the core into that. Of course there's nothing wrong with going in with "proper" core either. Or it might turn out that it's just as easy to use epoxy and do it in stages (unless that means you'd run out and have to buy more; that might be a factor).

Grazer wrote:
It turns out my boat had the same pointy screw attachment configuration with the silicon bedding. Some of the bedding material did not even cover the entire bottom of the hatch flange Mad .

I can relate. To make it even more of a project, if I had just tried to use the boat's old holes/edges, my new hatches would have had to sit off-center, and some of the holes would still have been *really* close to the edge. So I ended up building up a new long edge on the inboard side of each lazarette opening. (I used fiberglass and epoxy.)

Sunbeam
Grazer

City/Region: Yukon
State or Province: YT
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: C-Horse
Photos: Grazer
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've usually ordered mine from Jamestown Distributors; not sure that is the most convenient to YT! (Of course, what is Wink) And you know, as much as I'm a perfectionist, and as much as a good bond between the skins and core is essential for strength of a flat panel.... I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that for that small area, you could probably just use anything reasonable and handy. (Marine plywood, clean foam, etc.) The reason I say that is because (presuming I'm envisioning it correctly) it's a small/finite area, and not a large, flat panel that needs ultimate strength in order not to sag or bounce. Just try to get the inside of both skins as clean (solvent) and flat as possible, then coat it with neat epoxy, then make a "bed" of thickened epoxy and mush the core into that. Of course there's nothing wrong with going in with "proper" core either. Or it might turn out that it's just as easy to use epoxy and do it in stages (unless that means you'd run out and have to buy more; that might be a factor).

Thanks again Sunbeam. Your presumptions are correct. The area requires some strength to support the hatch hinge but remembering not to stand on that area plywood would suffice. You mentioned "clean foam". I hadn't thought of that but perhaps a spray in expanding foam may provide a lightweight structural filling agent to the void near the back of the cavity. Any experience with these products?

P.S. How do you do the quote function in these posts?
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grazer wrote:
The area requires some strength to support the hatch hinge but remembering not to stand on that area plywood would suffice.

Actually, I think plywood would more than suffice, from a strength standpoint. I mean, there are whole boat decks cored with it. I still prefer balsa, for a few reasons, but I really don't think you'd have any problems with good plywood. I don't think you'd be compromising the necessary strength in that small area (and I would "pot" the hinge fasteners in epoxy annuli anyway).

Grazer wrote:
You mentioned "clean foam". I hadn't thought of that but perhaps a spray in expanding foam may provide a lightweight structural filling agent to the void near the back of the cavity. Any experience with these products?

I have used the expanding foams in house projects, but I wouldn't use them in this case. For one thing, they can be hard to control, and you really want this area to stay flat (so the hatch will work properly). I also don't know for sure how they would interact with epoxy (I imagine you could find out, but I wouldn't even try, because I would use balsa or plywood or the foam that is meant for coring before it came to that).

I wish I were at home right now because I have plenty of balsa or coring foam scraps I'd be happy to send off to you. Still though, for this area (and being mindful to keep epoxy in the way of any possible water intrusion), and given your location, I would pretty happily use a proper plywood.

Grazer wrote:
P.S. How do you do the quote function in these posts?

If there is something you want to quote, then before you start your reply you go to the post you want to quote and in the upper right you will see "quote." If you click on that, it sets you up in a reply box with all the other post already quoted. You'll notice that there is a quote "opening phrase" (name and brackets, etc.), and then at the end a "closing" phrase, which is similar but without the user name.

If you want to quote the whole post, you just leave it as is and start typing below it.

If you want to remove some of the quoted text (often a good idea), then you just go up and delete those words, leaving the rest and the brackets as-is.

If you want to split up the quote (like I did here), then what I do is first go up and "copy" the opening quote phrase (in your case it's [quote="Grazer"]). Then I just "paste" that at the beginning of each section I want to quote. For the quote closing phrase, since it's easy to remember, I just type it in at the end of each new section of quote I'm making (that's the bracket, slash, quote, bracket phrase). You want to have the opening and closing phrase on each section of quoted material.

After you are done, you can hit "Preview" and it should show up just as you want to see it. If it doesn't, then there is some little error (maybe a missing bracket or something), so you can go back and fix it, re-Preview, and then when all looks good, hit Submit.

Sunbeam
Grazer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I am finally getting around to filling in the deck core that was removed around the lazarettes covers. I have purchased 2 of the imtra hatch covers indicated in Dr. Austin's project above (nice work by the way). It seems they are very close to the edge of the existing hole and may not purchase well. I've read somewhere that others have built up the edge to provide more material to surround the hatch flange. How does one go about this?
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did build up one of the long hatch edges on each lazarette to better fit the new IMTRA hatches. I could probably just have squeaked them onto the existing openings but there were two things I didn't like about that. One is that I would have to have set both of them in a bit "off kilter" to do the best with the opening, and the other is that some of the flanges would only have had sealant under about half their width. Actually, the holes were pretty close to the edge even for the original hatches (I presume some were cut more tidily than others). Since I was in there with the epoxy anyway, I decided to add width to the two long inside edges (on on each hatch). As a result, I was able to place them just where I wanted them, and there was plenty of engagement for the fasteners and the flanges. You know, I was going to write this up on my "Sunbeam" thread, with photos, but had just not got around to it yet (also, I really should have taken more photos!).

How about if I post the description there either tonight or tomorrow (the thread is called "Sunbeam ~ 22 Cruiser").

The job was one of those that has a lot of little steps, and requires some prep to avoid making a mess; but because of the location (under hatch flange), the level of finish required was not high or "artsy."

Sunbeam Hot
Grazer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam wrote:

How about if I post the description there either tonight or tomorrow (the thread is called "Sunbeam ~ 22 Cruiser").
Sunbeam Hot

I look forward to your photos and description of project. Tell then...

Cheers, Beer

Grazer
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First undercut and fill the balsa which is there. Same for the old screw holes. In several hatches I have had to cut thin (3/4" wide) strips of glass cloth, and epoxy that in place. that gives more structure and beef, as well as seals it. If it is going to be more than 1/8" build up, then put some glass cloth and epoxy in the mix.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Grazer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
In several hatches I have had to cut thin (3/4" wide) strips of glass cloth, and epoxy that in place. that gives more structure and beef, as well as seals it. If it is going to be more than 1/8" build up, then put some glass cloth and epoxy in the mix.

Let me see if I understand you correctly Bob. You would cut thin (3/4" wide) strips of glass cloth, and epoxy (glue) in place. Does this mean adhering fiberglass stripes on edge to both the top and bottom laminates including the filled in cored portion of the hatch opening? It will likely be greater than 1/8" and you suggest putting in some glass cloth and epoxy in the mix. I will be using glass cloth and epoxy... I don't quite follow? Do you meaning adding glass chop strand into the thickened epoxy to adhere the glass cloth strips?

Grazer
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote up a summary of how I handled the lazarette-hatch openings on my 22. I'm not sure how to link to one individual post, but this is the page it's on:

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=19284&start=75
thataway

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure that some where in my albums, probably on the hatch repair for the main forward hatch in the Tom Cat--I showed how I put the glass cloth strips oriented in a vertical manor, that is all around the opening, or at least on one or two sides of the opening. There are some places to add glass on top--and that would be to make the top fair and flush, as I did with the AC unit. Glass strands, only if there is a large area, which you need to fill.

Sorry, but I am band width limited and cannot search the photos etc--but go to the "thataway" album and you will find photos.
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a good, fast Internet connection right now. Let me take a look and see if I can link your photos here. After all, your thread for "Thisaway" is what inspired me to start one for the work I'm doing on my 22 (and the info was very helpful as well Thumbs Up).

Okay, series of info/photos on Thisaway's hatch replacement starts here (bottom of page 14 in the album):

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=Thataway&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php&page=14

Sunbeam
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I had to install a bottom pivot for our Garhauer davit, I asked around on the best way to do it. The gunwale and side decking are balsa cored, so I ended up doing the following:

-over-drilled
-filled with West System epoxy thickened with 404 thickener
-inserted machine screws into the wet resin, placed where I wanted them AND coated in dielectric grease

-let the resin go "off" and backed out the screws. Voila! The resin acts as a threaded nut and no worry about water intrusion into the balsa core.

thataway

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job, should work fine.
stclairgal

City/Region: St Clair Shores
State or Province: MI
Vessel Name: Dragonfly
Photos: Dragonfly
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Cockpit repair Reply with quote

Resurrecting this GREAT thread.
Doe anyone know where you can buy a sanding drum for the drill like Dr Bob shows in his excellent picture? We’re repairing the floor around the (unsealed) access ports.
Thanks!

localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.amazon.com/POWERTEC-11300-Sanding-Drum-Pack/dp/B01EXZL16Y/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1525026453&sr=8-3&keywords=drum+sander+kit&dpID=41hHjzjjQjL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: