View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morning Star

City/Region: St. Petersburg
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Morning Star
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use DropBox on all of my machines, too. That is a good alternative to saving pdf files in the iBooks library. I like the iBooks library from an organization perspective. Having the charts in folders in DropBox also works well. DropBox is nice if you use multiple machines to keep files synchronized and available from any machine.
letitride

City/Region: San Jose
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: No Limits
Photos: Letitride
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try eSeaCharts app it uses the NOAA charts download them once and then you can access them later when your not connected online.

This is a very easy app to use and view the latest charts.

Enjoy.
naptime

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

Well it looks like Ibooks will handle the Bookletcharts no matter the size. The problem with the download is with Safari on large files. The Bookletcharts display well on the Ipad and provide the detail I like for reference. Since they are updated frequently and the price is right I will carry them on my trips.

Pete,

Have not tried Dropbox yet but it on my list of things to do. Thanks.

Dick
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent a bit more time looking at these chart booklets on my Mac. Note what is said on the NOAA web site:

"NOTE: During this experimental period, BookletCharts are not being updated every week with Notices to Mariners. Further, some known errors are known to exist, e.g. the "Approximate Page Index" might not match the chart inside. You can tell us about such errors by using the Coast Survey's Inquiry Page."

Looking at our local bay--there are many features missing, which are on other good charts. It is very difficult to use these because of the way the chart is chopped up. I just don't see much use for a boater, considering the hundreds of down loads you would have to make where you can get all relevant charts in relevant down loads. Correct to LNTM if you wish--but there will still be multiple errors. I personally would not use these for navigation.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Writer_Ron

City/Region: New Bern
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Muse
Photos: Muse
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: iPad and NOAA Booklet Charts Reply with quote

PeterQ wrote:
May I suggest that the easiest way to transfer Bookletcharts or most any kind of document to the iPad is through an app called Dropbox.
Smile

True. But equally important for convenient use of Booklet Charts iis "GoodReader," one of the best apps for reading PDF files (and other common file formats).

GoodReader integrates with DropBox for quick downloads of files to an iPad (1, 2, or 3). Once a file is "inside" GoodReader, you have instant access to, for example, NOAA Booklet Charts.

I have an even dozen Booklet Charts on my iPad 3. They are handy for quick reference -- especially when planning an outing -- but they won't replace a plotter (or good navigation app) once underway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: