City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill and El,
We wish you well in your next adventures in life and thank you for the profound influence you have had in ours. Our very first decisions of traveling in our C-Dory were based on suggestions made from you. Over the years, we have valued every time we had opportunity to cruise together. Traveling with you in the Discovery Islands last summer will always be a highlight. You truly opened a whole new world of boating for us. We are honored to be your friends and look forward to seeing you as you travel without Halcyon. You are always welcome at our home in Utah. Our best thoughts are with you.

Brent and Dixie

Brent and Dixie,
1984 22' Classic sold 2003
2003 24' TomCat sold 2005
2006 TC255 Discovery Sold 2020
2006 CD 22' Angler Sold 2014
https://share.delorme.com/FBrentBetenson
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms." ~ Thomas Jefferson
potter water

City/Region: Logan
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: R-21 Tug
Vessel Name: Poopsy
Photos: Still C-razy
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rats. I was really hoping to meet the operators of the historic Halcyon in person this summer.

Good luck on the land side adventures. My wife and I are pretty well balanced between the land side and water side because I simply would not like to burn out on either.

We are starting our major water adventures much later than Halcyon, so we will never get to see all of your wonderful cruise adventures in person.

Never let ignorance interfere with an opportunity to state a knowledgeable opinion

Testosterone Tales-Amazon.com

2006 C-Dory 22 Cruiser 2008-2014
1997 Ranger Tug 21 Classic 2016

KG7RC
jstates

City/Region: SHELTON
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Endurance
Photos: Endurance
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

El and Bill
Just read about your new transition after receiving your email this am. Glad the changes are elective. As good Captains you adjust your course before the weather forces drastic maneuvers. Your future trips sound like great fun. Of course you are always welcome to stay, if you are in S Puget Sound area.

I have always appreciated your "Marine Counseling" most recently to facilitate transition from C-Dory to a Blue-water pocket Sailboat.

I had a fantastic time in our few days last summer at James and Jones Island. Sharing family time was the perfect cap on sailing N. How amazing for you to live a truly simple life, that also impacts in a positive way so many other people. As I said when we were together, your C-Dory was the bedroom and kitchen but the world has been your living room.

With the best wishes for new adventures and immeasurable thanks.

Jim
On Endurance -
Moxieabs

City/Region: Cape Neddick
State or Province: ME
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Widget
Photos: Widget
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some are just legends in their own minds. You are legends in C-Dory land! Just wish I could have cruised with you and Halcyon just once.
Rick from Maine

City/Region: No. Berwick
State or Province: ME
Vessel Name: Hunky Dory
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi El & Bill,

As others have eloquently said, your writings and cruises inspired many C-Dory owners to cruise beyond their home waters into adventures. Cruises in your company have been unforgettable, and the subject of many sea stories.

Fair winds and following seas on your next course, Carol & Rick
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Dusty is almost speechless. Excited for you two young friends and hope that your land adventures will bring you back to the PNW. So many fond memories, and hope for more memories of two great people in our future.

Thanks so much for your inspiration to all of us Brats.

Dusty
chromer

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Photos: Checkpoint II
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please keep posting on seismology and economics for us?

Checkpoint II (SOLD 10/2020)
Alure Bertram 28
sportner

City/Region: Buckeye
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Model: 26 Osprey
Vessel Name: Glory Days
Photos: Traveler
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been a pleasure to meet you both several times through our mutual love of boating, travel, and life. We fully understand this transition and look forward to hearing about your future adventures.

Until we meet again, our best wishes.

rob bauerle

City/Region: spokane
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Robbie's Refuge
Photos: Robbie’s Refuge
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The charter members of the c dory Hall of Fame
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"Now as for Halcyon - selling it? It seems like that boat should go into a future C-Dory Hall of Fame. Best of luck and I hope you two manage to make it back out this way sometime soon. I've only met you both in person once, and I think that's not quite enough."

I remember hearing something about the travels of halcyon website being one of the most checked/used on Google or something like that. maybe Google and C-Dory could split for the purchase -- Google could do the a chunk of the funding and C-Dory do the upkeep and keep that boat traveling around the country promoting good sense, good neighbors and good times. An ambassador for "Just Be Nice", carrying on the tradition.

Just a thought --> Thanks Roger. It really is Meant To Be.

Harvey
[b]SleepyC[/b]

Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

El & Bill, seems such a short time ago when we first met you in the summer of 2003 as we were loading the boat from Yellowstone Lake.  We were pretty full of ourselves having just returned from our first big adventure in our CD 22 in Southeast Alaska & the Yukon River.   Knew nothing about your Halcyon Adventures, C-Dogs or C-Brats, but even in our puffed up state  realized in the short 45 minutes we shared that we had met a very unique & special couple. Later it was confirmed as we read every word written on your "Halcyon Days" & shared time at Yellowstone & Lake Powell.   Wonderful days never to be forgotten.  You will be sorely missed on the water & hope we again meet up on shore.

Jay & Jo-Lee

Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill and El,

I'm happy for the both of you for making the decision to transition to life ashore. But Caryn and I are both very sad for our loss, the chance to cruise with you again in the San Juan's like we did last summer. I guess we should be thankful we had that week together. And remember, you'll always have an open invitation in our guest suite any time you find yourselves up Seattle way.

Caryn and Peter
C-Dancer
johnrmarshall22

City/Region: North SF Bay
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: Slack Time
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill and El,
We have never met, never spoke but you two have influenced my wife and I in a positive way. We read about your adventures and truly enjoyed your insights and observations. You sent us a note congratulating us when we finally purchased our C-Dory. We were both impressed and honored that you would take the time to do that. I don’t want this to sound like a memorial, but I thought it a good time to express our thanks.

About ten years ago I had been looking at boats, and focused my sights on the C-Dory. Well things hit the proverbial fan. We took some serious hits both financial and personal, a new boat was not in our future. I would re-read Halcyon Days what others had done in their boats, and that would help buoy my spirits to slog forward and fight the fight. We had been avid campers, backpackers, loved racing sailboats and your musings struck a cord with us, truly we could relate.

Fast forward ten years and we have managed to recover and we made the decision to buy a lightly used 22’ CD. We couldn’t be happier. Very Happy I was tempted to not spend the money on a “toy” but life is about balance and trade offs. Yes we could’ve purchased another rental/ investment, further securing our future, but living in the present has present value. Like most of us, we know that every day we have on this earth is a blessing. Clearly tomorrow is not promised to anyone, minimize regrets seems prudent. Bill and El you two seem to have done a great job at inspiring us to continue to have more experiences and follow our dreams. We wish you all the best for the future.
John and Laurie
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Bill and El- You've been everywhere and done it all, but, for me, it's about who you are. So, for that, this is a good a time to say "Thank You".

MartyP
aneed

City/Region: Bozeman
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy C
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have been an inspiration to me and many, many others. You inspired me to retire a little early and enjoy family and travel. Life's transitions are easier when you can see the success of others, it gives you courage and hope! Thank you for your sweet friendship, though mine was a brief meeting a Bellingham, I wish you all the best in your new adventures! Rainbow
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: