View previous topic :: View next topic  
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Moving Ashore Reply with quote

Life has transitions. Sometimes change is predicated by health issues, finances, or family difficulties. In our lives, we have attempted to also recognize transitions more difficult to assess. These are usually associated with personal growth through new experiences. The transition from the restrictions imposed by the working world to the freedom of retirement was for us, and most folks, a major change in their lives. What is sometimes less often considered are the changes that might be beneficial within the retirement years.

We have been fortunate that our transitions have not been forced upon us, but have been made to experience new ideas, cultures and life styles. In retirement, we have chosen different paths through our 26 years of free choice: sale of house and most personal belongings in exchange for a life in a 20-foot RV, overseas travel, long-distance hiking on different continents (where we carried everything we needed for months on our backs), and living aboard both a 20-foot sailboat and then a 22-foot power boat for many years.

Now, after much thought and discussion, and almost two decades of life on the water, we have decided it is time for another transition. We have opted for a return to life ashore to include more time for travel in the US and abroad. Of course we still love the water, but having seen most of America’s waterways, we now plan that our water travel will include trips on small commercial vessels abroad. And more land travel following the seasons on this continent and abroad.

Consequently, we have decided to sell Halcyon. She has been a wonderful and trustworthy companion for us since we purchased her and moved aboard in 2000. Unlike many others who have owned a CD-22 and moved to a larger boat, she has always been the perfect boat for us – she has been (for a boat) inexpensive to maintain and fuel and simple to trailer and launch. Cruising she has taken us to places and anchorages inaccessible to larger boats. She has given us safe and comfortable passage along the coasts, lakes, and rivers of our beautiful country. We have met many fine people through the boating experiences she has afforded us. It has not been an easy choice to leave our trustworthy companion, but we believe it is time for us to transition to another challenging and learning lifestyle.

We write this so our many C-Dory friends will understand why we are moving ashore. Not because of health, age, or finances – but simply to ‘move on’ to a different lifestyle. We intend to remain active on this site and to continue with the wonderful friendships we have made through this site.

JGrider

City/Region: Laplace
State or Province: LA
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Jeannie's VOO DOO
Photos: Jeannie’s VOO DOO
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Moving Ashore Reply with quote

It has always seemed strange to me how people admire movie stars and rock stars. I have tried to tell myself that these celebrities are just people and have not really made much of an impact into my life.
You and your adventures on the other hand have had a tremendous impact on me as well as many others who visit this site. I bought into the whole C-Dory concept because of what I saw and felt from your adventures. I just needed to say thanks!

Home port: LaPlace, Louisiana
Ted Osborne

City/Region: Des Moines, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tabbycat
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We second those comments. best wishes on your new direction.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read your post ---> twice, and now I am sitting here, misty eyed, and somewhere between awe and shock. And wishing you all the best in that new transition. I too, have spent many hours, following your wake vicariously, and in hopes of making my own in many of the waters you have traveled. You folks have been an inspiration to many, and probably to more a source of wonderment. Thank you for your contributions to and participation in the best boating website around, sharing from a wealth of knowledge, both practical and philosophical. In those upcoming travels, I hope we cross paths again sometime. It would be my pleasure.

Harvey
SleepyC

From Bellingham CBGT, the first in the line is "Halcyon".

Jake

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You certainly are an inspiration to many, including myself in the short time I have been reading of your adventures. Wishing you all the best.
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While not the oldest fella on this site by a long shot, I do share your pattern of movements and experiences through life beyond my apparent years. I stay busy over here and often utter things like "I'll sleep when I'm dead". I too have followed dreams to great depth and found satisfaction in the journey as well as the destination. I admire (rare words from me) your drive and your ability to shift gears with a smile and positive attitude looking always forward while still reflecting on and revisiting past experiences.

I look forward to doing the same in my own way many more times to come. See you out there and thanks for inspiring so many people in positive directions. Wish we had more of your kind in this world.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are an inspiration to many folks everywhere in your life. What you do and say always makes sense. Whoever gets Halcyon best not change her name. It must be hard to part with such a loyal mount, but change is all that goes on with this planet. All the best to you both. I trust it will be an adventure whatever you do. Keep us apprised and will we see you at Friday Harbor? George Thumbs Up
BaseCampAnne

City/Region: San Diego/Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SEA COASTER
Photos: SEA COASTER
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

I learned about you from a close family friend of 28 years and have enjoyed reading your comments and learning of your travels over many years and many miles.

Thank you for sharing your values and adventures, your opinions and your lifestyle.

You are special people within the C-Brat community and I look forward to hearing about your next adventures.

Anne Cox
digger

City/Region: Spokane
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Sik
Photos: Snoopy-C
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too, have followed you both forever on you blogs. I've enjoyed your prose and poetry, the photos, and the very emotions of your travels. I wish you the very best, and extended adventures that I'm sure you'll continue. Digger
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This kinda feels like a long-time partner announcing their retirement. The change will not be just for you, but for all of us, as well. When we made the consideration of moving from sail to power cruising, I read your site and said, "If they can do it, we can do it." Over the years, we have joked back and forth about your ability to minimize, but you two have been the standard by which all C-Dory cruising is measured. It has been our pleasure to visit with you both when our paths have crossed... while "the minimalist" approach doesn't work quite as well for us, we admire your spirit of adventure, willingness to share your knowledge, and the love you have for each other and family.

Like you, we have changed modes over the years... the motorcycle travels, the airplane adventures (camping under the wing), RVing and boating. Desires and tastes change. We wish you two all the best... with the sale of the boat and wherever your paths lead.

Best wishes,
Jim & Joan

journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill and El;

Judy and I have enjoyed meeting and talking to you, as well as the lectures Bill has given on your web site. We wish you the best and hope that once in a while you'll sneak a ride on a C-Dory. We'd be proud to have you aboard.

Judy and Boris
rickw

City/Region: Coupeville, WA (Whidbey Island)
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Cara Na Mara
Photos: Cara Na Mara
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill and El,

As always, your message was very eloquent and full of wisdom that all of us sincerely appreciate.

Everyone has been so fortunate to share your spirited, adventurous, and inspiring voyages aboard the Halcyon via your web page, and even better, many of us have had the honor and pleasure to share your company and have been graciously invited aboard the Halcyon.

Like many C-Dory owners, the memorable stories on your website inspired us to purchase the Cara Na Mara. Ironically, you were docked in Anacortes on our first launch, and we were thrilled to meet you, and have you come aboard......and then spend a wonderful evening aboard the Halcyon as your guests and have breakfast at the Farmhouse the next morning. We learned many valuable tips about C-Dories, but more importantly, about an admirable lifestyle and vision.

Some health issues a few months before gave us every reason not to buy the Cara Na Mara, but through your inspiration, we decided to go forward with living life to its fullest. So typical is the impact you've had on so many.

We are thrilled that you are continuing your adventures, and cheer you on as you explore more of the extraordinary national and international sites, knowing that you will always share the details here on the C-Dory website.

At the same time, the the spirit of the Halcyon will remain aboard our C-Dorys, and we are most grateful.

Rick and Mary Wahlgren
Coupeville, WA
Cara Na Mara 16' Cruiser (proudly "christened" by Bill and El)
SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bill and El,

Like many others it was your stories that I happened onto on the web that fired my imagination and led me to buy my CD22. It seems you should have received commissions for all the C-Dory's you two have sold - without even trying.

It has been our good fortune to have cruised with you two several times. I was recently wondering if we would meet up with you this summer somewhere.

We will miss you on the water but will look forward to reading about your new adventures.

Steve and Karen
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

El and Bill-

I fully understand your need to move forward to the next phase of your lifelong adventures.

Thanks for all the wonderful sharing and friendship over the many years.

I know this is not a good bye, but just another change in your mode of continuing to explore your lives and the world around all of us.

We'll still be seeing and hearing from you, so, rather than a good bye, congratulations are instead in order!

Love!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill and El, I read this earlier today and didn't really know what to say at the time. Like many others, I have always admired you two and your ability to live (together) in such tight quarters. It's plain to all that you love each other, love your lives and share the love with others around you (and even those far away through your online posts). I'm both sad and excited for both of you and I'm guessing you have slightly mixed feelings also. However, like everything else you've done, I'm sure you've made a good decision for yourselves and I look forward to hearing about your new adventures as they develop.

Now as for Halcyon - selling it? It seems like that boat should go into a future C-Dory Hall of Fame. Best of luck and I hope you two manage to make it back out this way sometime soon. I've only met you both in person once, and I think that's not quite enough.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: