The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

March 17th update
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Marinauts, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les,
Wish you the best on your trip. Travel safe.

As to the transom door, you are on to something there, although as some folk around here think, I'm a pretty dedicated "TWINS" proponent for several duplicate Surprised reasons.

The boarding , (dock to cockpit) and reverse, is an issue that C-Dory has left very much out of hand, and though it is do-able, it is progressively harder for those who are getting more senior as we go, and is an issue I have been mulling since first getting our Cruiser. I have looked at many options, but none have really been practical and efficient. Your 2 step process sounds like it might be the trick and work as a modification that would be worth it. Looking forward to seeing it up close one of these days.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Les Lampman
Dealer

City/Region: Whidbey Island
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Water Bill wrote:
Les,

At the present time I mainly trailer my C-Dory to and from the lakes we frequent here in Colorado. We are at a boat ramp almost every weekend all summer. Our standard procedure is to have my wife get into the boat before I back the trailer into the water and she starts the boat and circles around until I get back from parking the truck and trailer. Her normal way of entering the boat is to climb up a short step ladder onto the swim step while we are in the parking lot or on the ramp and then crawl forward into the cockpit. Easy for some folks but difficult for her with knee and balance problems. She is not able to climb over the side of the boat, so this seems to work best. We reverse this procedure when we leave the lakes.

I can see where a transom opening could be very beneficial in our situation, when entering and exiting on dry land and when using a dinghy while on the water.

Looking forward to some of your drawings showing the transom entry and how it is going to work and look. I am in the group that does not have a problem with a single main engine and would opt for a kicker when the time comes when we can spend more time boating in waters other then on the lakes near home.

Bill Roche

Hi Bill,

It would be my hope that a separate ladder wouldn't be necessary at all. You should be able to deploy the swim step ladder and have it reach to within a foot of the ground so that you can just use that to reach the swim platform then step through the transom into the cockpit.

That sort of ladder is already in use on the Rosborough RF-246 so you can enter the boat from the ground. It sits a lot taller than the M245 should.

Les

www.marinautboats.com
Les Lampman
Dealer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
Les,
Wish you the best on your trip. Travel safe.

As to the transom door, you are on to something there, although as some folk around here think, I'm a pretty dedicated "TWINS" proponent for several duplicate Surprised reasons.

The boarding , (dock to cockpit) and reverse, is an issue that C-Dory has left very much out of hand, and though it is do-able, it is progressively harder for those who are getting more senior as we go, and is an issue I have been mulling since first getting our Cruiser. I have looked at many options, but none have really been practical and efficient. Your 2 step process sounds like it might be the trick and work as a modification that would be worth it. Looking forward to seeing it up close one of these days.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Hi Harvey,

I certainly know that some folks prefer a twin engine setup but unfortunately I just can't get it all in one boat (at 8' 6" wide). I pretty much had to choose one or the other (transom step-though or twins).

In a perfect world I'd be able to offer the boat both ways and maybe it will come to that but it would require a new hull mold and new deck mold to make that happen...and that's expensive. There would have to be a pretty high deamand for the twin-engined boat to make it financially feasible.

I have one other thought rumbling around in the recesses of my mind and I'll see how that pans out after a bit of thought and pencil pushing.

Les
Les Lampman
Dealer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake wrote:
Les,

That's a monster truck, as big as my current boat ( a bowrider). Love the idea of sticking with a single engine and having the transom door. You are moving in the direction of a perfect boat for us Midwesterners (big lakes, rivers, the Great Lakes) and maybe day/long weekend cruisers who boat in mainly good weather and short trips. Keep it light and simple. Maybe your next model could be the M245SC, a M245 with the cabin of a M215 to provide a big cockpit with some optional built in seating.

Have a safe and enjoyable trip.

Doug

Hi Doug,

It's certainly possible. We build our boats with very few parts (9 total in the M215 and three of them are small). The upside is ease of assembly for us, and rigidity and no leaks for the owner. The down side (to some extent) is that in order to do a new model (with a short house) we'd have to make a new deck/house mold and a new deck/sole/floor mold. Not impossible by any means, just a bit expensive so the demand has to be there.

Great ideas though and we're cataloging them!

Les
dave

City/Region: Riverview
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Cocoon
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les Lampman wrote:

For those that can't negotiate the steps I've designed a small "lift" (kind of like a mini-elevator). It's a vertical tube attached to the aft bulkhead (next to the sidedeck) with a small flip down platform. From the sidedeck you step onto the flip down platform and hold onto the two handles (placed a bit over waist high) then press and hold a switch to go down to the cockpit level; step off, flip the platform up, and you're done. Getting out of the boat is just the opposite; flip the platform down, step on, push and hold the switch to go up (the platform stops if you let go of the switch) and you're at the sidedeck level. As long as a person can comfortably stand and has the strength to use the handholds on the cabin back and the handles on the lift they'll be able to get in and out of the boat.

Les

One of the reasons we are so happy about our CC is the long step inside the cockpit. We don't have to hunt for foot placement. Your lift sound like a wonderful solution. I will look forward to seeing the design.
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Safe trip Les. Truck looks great, reminds me of my 2001 Dodge 2500 with a V-10. That beast would pass anything but a gas station!!

245 is sounding better and better!!

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les,
You need to patent this "elevator" and start marketing it. That may your path to becoming a billionaire---OK at least a thousandaire...

If it can be retrofitted to a 22, then sign me up....With the new truck, (and car for the Admiral)--there went any hope of one of your 245--but maybe we will hit the lottery or the stock market will improve!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:

maybe we will hit the lottery or the stock market will improve!

Markets »
S.&P. 500
+6.19
+0.44%
Dow
+20.29
+0.15%
Nasdaq
+21.50
+0.70

so far, so good... Thumbs Up

"...we're all in the same boat..."
Les Lampman
Dealer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Les,
You need to patent this "elevator" and start marketing it. That may your path to becoming a billionaire---OK at least a thousandaire...

If it can be retrofitted to a 22, then sign me up....With the new truck, (and car for the Admiral)--there went any hope of one of your 245--but maybe we will hit the lottery or the stock market will improve!

Hi Bob,

It should work fine on a CD22. I've got about 4 of them sitting out back so I can measure it up and see how it will work out. Then I just need to finalize the pieces and parts that will be required and talk to the welder guy. I'll let you know how it goes.

Since I'm going to leave for the trip back east a week from this Wednesday, and be gone for two weeks, it may be just a bit before I can finalize everything.

Les
bobjarrard

City/Region: Boulder City
State or Province: NV
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les,
We have not bought a boat because the wife has has three hips put in on her right side, no way she can climb into a boat from the dock without lots of help. We have only been looking at boats with a transom door, the Osprey 24 being one on the radar. Thankful you guys have the energy to produce another model.
Bob and Kyung Jarrard
Les Lampman
Dealer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobjarrard wrote:
Les,
We have not bought a boat because the wife has has three hips put in on her right side, no way she can climb into a boat from the dock without lots of help. We have only been looking at boats with a transom door, the Osprey 24 being one on the radar. Thankful you guys have the energy to produce another model.
Bob and Kyung Jarrard

Hi Bob,

Thank you for the reply.

This is something I've thought about a lot and while no solution is going to be perfect in every situation it's worth pursuing. I think the best bet is probably a transom step through and the small lift I'm working on in combination with each other.

Even with the Osprey 24 there may be times when the swim step is pretty low compared to the dock and the step down very uncomfortable. That's when the lift would be nice. And if the dock is low and the step up to the sidedeck on the boat too high then stepping onto the swim step should work. It really depends on the docks.

Les
maryvmcclain

City/Region: Summerlin
Vessel Name: Freedom
Photos: Freedom
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really excited about the thought of a transom door,... climbing over to the swim ladder has been one thing I haven't liked about the C-Dory. And the addition of a bathroom and keeping it light are the three things we love about your new plan. Really looking forward to hearing about your 24ft as it progresses.
Les Lampman
Dealer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maryvmcclain wrote:
I'm really excited about the thought of a transom door,... climbing over to the swim ladder has been one thing I haven't liked about the C-Dory. And the addition of a bathroom and keeping it light are the three things we love about your new plan. Really looking forward to hearing about your 24ft as it progresses.

Thanks Mary,

We had one of the computers blow up (the one that had the software on it for the Marinaut M245 design); we didn't lose any data but it bumped things back a bit while a new computer was obtained and brought up to speed.

As always, there are lots of compromises in any design. I'm doing my best to accommodate a transom step through, accommodate twin engines, and have it all look good!

Les
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
C-Dory Year: 1991
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les,

Do you have a picture or drawling of the 'elevator'?

Could the design be adapted to a somewhat larger boat? My transom (not a C-Dory) is about 4ft from swim step to lower rail. Could your design raise to that height?

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
maryvmcclain

City/Region: Summerlin
Vessel Name: Freedom
Photos: Freedom
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to be patient but am so excited about the Lite version with the transom door that I've stopped looking at used C-Dorys to purchase. Waiting for the right solution that will work as we get older is important. We don't care about having twin engines as we will mostly do lake sailing anyway. LIGHT is important, though... we want to tow with a Toyota Sequoia.

Sorry your computer bombed... hope you can post more pictures soon!

Mary
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Marinauts, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: