View previous topic :: View next topic  
Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 4:21 pm    Post subject: Dinghy Dilema -- Help! Reply with quote

The good news is, we bought a dinghy. The bad news is I'm afraid I overbought unless somebody can help me figure a way to load this monster atop Naknek's cabin. The dinghy is a Valiant 250
( http://www.mercurymarine.com/mercury_250_valiant ) manufactured by Mercury Marine. It is an 8' RIB, and weighs-in at 66# (a rather bulky 66#). I had planned to use our Honda 2 on it, but that's all subject to question now. Dang.

We could tow it, but I suspect that would present challenges coming-and-going from marina's and tight maneuvering spots, etc.

So -- I'm looking for suggestions or ideas!

Failing that, know anyone who's looking for a pretty little dinghy with a fiberglass bottom? It's just too pretty to use for a planter!

Casey (...the 200# dinghy)
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casey,

This summer I bought a new Achilles LSI 88(8'8" and about 65 lbs).

The only way I can load this dingy is to stand it up on the dock, on its tail cones, next to the cabin. Then lift from the transom to put the dingy bow up onto the cabin top, and pivot the transom up onto the cabin top. The dingy then rests upside down with the bow at the anchor/running light pole and the transom sits on the roof over my cockpit.
See the Nancy H photo album.
I could launch the dingy into the water from the roof if we were anchored, but I need a dock to reload it onto the cabin top. I plan to tow it to the nearest dock if I have been using it from anchor.
If I had to leave an anchorage due to wind or waves(like at 00-dark-30) I would pull the bow up into the cockpit, open the valves and pull the dingy into the cockpit as it deflates.
I tried towing and any speed over 8-10 knots is too fast and puts too much strain on the towing rings.

Even with this drawback, I am happy with this dingy. It powers nicely with a 2 hp Johnson 2-stroke and rows well.

Larry
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 6:08 pm    Post subject: Dinghy Reply with quote

I went with the 44 Lb West Marine 6 footer--really a small dink. I also considered getting the dink on the cabin top. There are several car top loaders which use a framework. The boat is attatched upside down to the frame and then either pivoted up or swung around to put it on top of the car. On the C Dory Cruiser, the frame could be alumium pipe, attatched outside of the bimini top, and on pivots which would swing aft. The dinghy inverted, upside down, (probably take the seat out) and attatched foreward of the transom to the frame--then a block and tackle used to bring the frame and dink up and over the cockpit, and the transom area to rest on the aft cabin roof. Lots of details to be worked out--but possiable. The fiberglass bottom is the problem--since it cannot be rolled up or deflated.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
MichaelOnTheClaraMae

City/Region: Charleston
State or Province: SC
Photos: Clara Mae
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Bombard AX2 (7'-11") I carry on the roof of the Clara Mae at times (http://www.1stdirectproducts.com/ax2.html). Its best feature is the weight... 28 lbs. It is a roll up which allows me to carry it on the bow at times as well. It is not real big, but with a Honda BF2 it is stable enough to get the job done.
Lonedrake45

City/Region: Auburn
C-Dory Year: 1981
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: Hunky Dory
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to check out Port-a-Bote, they have a web site ,look for www.portabote.com

Their smallest boat is 8' long,weighs 46# and folds into a package 4"X8'.

They claim that it is indestructable,and unsinkable.

They come in 8',10',12',and 14'.

I have never used a dingy,as I just run up on beach,when I want to picnic or go clamming. Ofcourse mine has a flat bottom too,which was one of the selling features when I bought mine.

Good luck,

Adeline

City/Region: Vancouver
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Adeline
Photos: Adeline
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bess-C

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Bess-C
Photos: Bess-C
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete,
I believe that Pat on Daydream had this size and found it to be too small. He moved up to the 7'11" version of the same boat.

I also have the 7'11" Mercury roll up. Although there are things I don't like about it, I can get it up into the cockpit and onto the roof from the water. I use a 2 hp Honda to power it. I used to load it on the roof from the cockpit. Now that we have canvas on the back, I can't do it that way. So I now take the motor off and put it in the cockpit, using a line, I lead the boat around to the bow and pull it up over the bow railing. Then I put it on top of the boat. I think it only weighs around 40 lbs, so this isn't too difficult unless there is a wind.
Lyle

17 Center Console C-Dory 10/16
Adeline

City/Region: Vancouver
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Adeline
Photos: Adeline
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mighty Bite

City/Region: Fairbanks, Alaska
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Mighty Bite
Photos: Mighty Bite
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The nicest dingys I've run across are the "Alaska Series" offered by Jim King. He had them at the SBS and 3 of us Alaska-Brats each bought one of the 240TDS models, 7' 10" long 4' 5" wide, Tube diamether is 14.96", payload of 837# and a weight of 45#. They have a 1ft wide HD strip of tough rubber/PVC running the length of the underside of the lateral tubes which take the brunt of the wear and tear on beaching the dingy. Super well built dingy, light weight and tough and good folks to deal with. Jim King is in Anchorage but I believe he has someone permanent in Seattle
that folks can deal directly with.

Check out " www.alaskaseries.com " or contact Jim at 907-248-2900.

Bess-C

City/Region: Anacortes
Vessel Name: Bess-C
Photos: Bess-C
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete,
Yes, that is the boat that both Pat and I have. I found it a couple of years ago on ebay. The guy that sells on there sells more Mercury inflatables than anyone else in the country. At the time his price was $600 for the 240. He's has a small boat shop in NY state. I believe the name is Buster's Marine. Pat also bought his from him.

I think the 200 would be big enough for one person. However, I'm always wishing I had a bigger dingy than the 240, I just can't lift a heavier one from the water onto the roof.

Mark, that looks like a great inflatable. The only downside that I can see is price.
Lyle
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, I agree, the Alaska Series Inflatables are great. We just bought one this year after the Seattle Boat Show. If anyone is interested, we have some pics in our Gulf Islands album.

Lyle, you're right, they were kinda pricey.

Peter

Email: pjamero@gmail.com
R-Matey

City/Region: Bow
Vessel Name: R-Matey
Photos: R-Matey
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Alaska Series Reply with quote

We also purchased an Alaska Series Inflatable (2006 SBS). We really like it. Lightweight and easy to handle. Comfortable with two adults in it. Not a problem getting it loaded onto the top of the C-Dory or placing it inside my Astro van. Should be some photos of it in R-Matey's 2006 Album.

Ruth & Joe
R-Matey
jimandlaurie

City/Region: Puyallup
Photos: Laurna Jo
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casey,
I think that if you over-bought , you over-bought well.
In looking back I wish we would have gotten a RIB, or the Mercury that Bess-C and Daydream got.
We bought an Avon Redstart 8' Slat Bottom. Talk about pricey about $1300. That makes the Merc look pretty good.

However we keep it on the top of the boat and put it up there in a similar way as Larry does on Nancy H . Even with the Camperback set up all I do is unzip the front of it and heave it up there and secure it. We have a pic or 2 in its spot in our albums.
Bottom line IMHO you got a nice Dinghy, I'd trade ya for sure.

2004 C-Dory Skiff- Little Poit Dhubh
2005 C-Dory 25 Cruiser -sold 2103
2002- C-Dory 22 Cruiser- Sold 2005
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Some rat stole my dinghy.. Reply with quote

I store my dinghy beside my garage here in the mountains ... the dinghy that I use for my tug.... it is a fiberglass 8' rowable dinghy....I need it as I like to keep my tug out on a buoy rather than up against the dock...
Somehow during the winter some fine fellow got into my back yard and liberated it... Dirty rotten thief... it was not worth much....but now I have to go buy a new one..... RATS !!

Sue and I use a Avon inflatable with our C-Dory, but that won't last long if I leave it on the beach every day like I do with the darn dinghy....

Joel
SEA3PO
Rock-C

City/Region: Salem
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: Rock-C
Photos: Rock-C
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel
How did the 8' rowing dinghy tow behind the tug? Have you tried towing with SEA3PO? I have an 8' sailing dink I've thought of using behind the C-Dory. I'm afraid I would be very limited in speed while towing. I know it would be impossable to get on top of the cabin. It may work out for slow cruising. Idea

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Dinghys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: