The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Custom Cover for TC255

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Custom Cover for TC255 Reply with quote

The new owner of Captain's Cat is interested in getting a full boat cover made that will cover the entire hull while on the trailer and tie down to the trailer for securing it. He's interested in towing it that way too. Not sure if it's practical or not. It would have to be modified from a standard cover to fit over the radar pedestal/light at the forward edge of the cabin house. I'll try to post a picture during the brief edit period. He doesn't have a garage type building to put it in at home and may not keep it in the water.

Will convince him to join the Brats next!

Thanks for any help you might be able to give. Here's what the radome looks like. The dome itself and the GPS stick will lay on the cabin top by removing 5 bolts and without disconnecting any wires. That's a 5 minute job. Have to do that to get it under a 12' door in my storage garage. A stock fitting cover would have to have a 12" "bulge" there to accommodate the pedestal/light.

If you've bought any sort of a full boat cover, I'm sure he'd be interested in where you bought it (maybe they have patterns) and an approximate cost. Also, comments on the feasibility of towing with a cover on would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done limited towing with a full boat cover on my 22. No more than about 20 miles and not over 55 mph. Unless the cover can be tied very tight all over the boat you will have significant flapping/working of the material. I am sure it has reduced the life of my cover. I have had it since the beginning of 2005 and it is now almost dead. Mine is made of sunbrella.

Steve
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angola (where I had the cover for the 22 made) does not list the Tom Cat--although they have the 16, 22 and 25 C Dory listed.

I would be very reluctant to tow at highway speeds, unless it was a custom cover, and I suspect that may mean some zippers for this type of a radar arch-

I have never towed a boat with a full cover. I have seen a couple towed, but usually short distances and low speeds.

I believe that the Angola cover for the 22 I had made could be trailered--but it would probably be hard on the cover. It has multiple tie down points, wear pads and well made.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another solution is to have a zipper installed so it goes around/under the radar mount. That's how Angola did our cover as regards our radar arch. Works simply and haven't had a problem yet.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We tried towing sailboats with full top and bottom (hull) covers across the U.S. to championship regattas.

No matter how tight you tied down the cover, no matter how many tie points were used, and no matter how much you covered high pointed protrusions on the boat, the cover would find some way to flap or oscillate in the wind created during towing.

The result was heavily worn spots in the canvas, outright holes, and broken stitching. Spots that vibrated against aluminum, turned black from the aluminum metal worn off and then oxidized.

I know of no other way to so quickly destroy or ruin a $600-$1500 hull cover.

IMHO, anyone towing a boat with a cover on it is a newbie to the task, or is planning on buying a new one when they get home.

If you don't want any road wear from towing, put the trailer and boat inside another box trailer and shut the door.

That said, you can use mud flaps on the tow vehicle to reduce some of the wear, as well as covering the bow and front windows with cardboard, carpet, or some other canvas that can be sacrificed.

Happy Trails!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: