View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: Cell Phones and Other Sources of Fires when Refueling Reply with quote

Received this as an email inclusion and thought it was worthy of passing along:

THIS APPLIED TO BOTH CARS AND BOATS.

Shell Oil Comments - A MUST READ !

Safety Alert!
Here are some reasons why we don't allow cell phones in operating areas, propylene oxide handling and storage area, propane, gas and diesel refueling areas.

The Shell Oil Company recently issued a warning after three incidents in which mobile phones (cell phones) ignited fumes during fueling operations

In the first case , the phone was placed on the car's trunk lid during fueling; it rang and the ensuing fire destroyed the car and the gasoline pump.

In the second , an individual suffered severe burns to their face when fumes ignited as they answered a call while refueling their car!

And in the third , an individual suffered burns to the thigh and groin as fumes ignited when the phone, which was in their pocket, rang while they were fueling their car.

You should know that: Mobile Phones can ignite fuel or fumes

Mobile phones that light up when switched on or when they ring release enough energy to provide a spark for ignition

Mobile phones should not be used in filling stations, or when fueling lawn mowers, boat, etc.

Mobile phones should not be used, or should be turned off, around other materials that generate flammable or explosive fumes or dust, (I.e., solvents, chemicals, gases, grain dust, etc...)

TO sum it up, here are the Four Rules for Safe Refueling:

1) Turn off engine
2) Don't smoke
3) Don't use your cell phone - leave it inside the vehicle or turn it off
4) Don't re-enter your vehicle during fueling .

Bob Renkes of Petroleum Equipment Institute is working on a campaign to try and make people aware of fires as a result of 'static electricity' at gas pumps. His company has researched 150 cases of these fires.

His results were very surprising:

1) Out of 150 cases, almost all of them were women.

2) Almost all cases involved the person getting back in their vehicle while the nozzle was still pumping gas. When finished, they went back to pull the nozzle out and the fire started, as a result of static.

3) Most had on rubber-soled shoes.

4) Most men never get back in their vehicle until completely finished. This is why they are seldom involved in these types of fires.

5) Don't ever use cell phones when pumping gas

6) It is the vapors that come out of the gas that cause the fire, when connected with static charges.

7) There were 29 fires where the vehicle was re-entered and the nozzle was touched during refueling from a variety of makes and models. Some resulted in extensive damage to the vehicle, to the station, and to the customer.

Cool Seventeen fires occurred before, during or immediately after the gas cap was removed and before fueling began.

Mr. Renkes stresses to NEVER get back into your vehicle while filling it with gas.
If you absolutely HAVE to get in your vehicle while the gas is pumping, make sure you get out, close the door TOUCHING THE METAL, before you ever pull the nozzle out. This way the static from your body will be discharged before you ever remove the nozzle.

As I mentioned earlier, The Petroleum Equipment Institute, along with several other companies now, are really trying to make the public aware of this danger.

I ask you to please send this information to ALL your family and friends, especially those who have kids in the car with them while pumping gas. If this were to happen to them, they may not be able to get the children out in time.

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
4) Don't re-enter your vehicle during fueling

And if you do, when you exit, touch your car and ground yourself PRIOR to handling the filler handle etc. Static elctricity can build up on you from rubbing yourself across the upholstery. Touching your door will ground you and eliminate all/any static.

colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good warning Joe, thanks.
Robbi

City/Region: Chambers Bay
C-Dory Year: 2023
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Photos: C-Run
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As with so many email messages about the dangers of "whatever", fact and fiction are often mixed together. Some of this so called report is true, mostly the static electricity part, even though the research to date is having a hard time pin pointing the direct cause. Discharging, as Mark says, is important, especially if you are filling your plastic boat gas cans.
Cell phones causing fires while refueling is still in the realm of unproven, but still reasonable to leave you phone in the car. I love the part about of the 150 fires caused by people reentering their cas, almost all were women Rolling Eyes
I wish that I could put the link to the "Snoops" research on these emails, but it is worth looking it up and reading the report from the Petroleum Institute.

Robbi

2003 C-Dory 19
sold 2019

2004 C-Dory 16 Cruiser
Sold 8/2015

2004 C-Dory 19 "C-Run"
Sold 8/2011

1989 C-Dory 16 Angler
Sold 2010
Valkyrie

City/Region: Loudonville
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Valkyrie II
Photos: Valkyrie
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mythbusters debunked the cell phone idea years ago.

Also, I ran this through Snopes and it comes up as false also (cell phones). Shell denies sending out such a warning.

Nick
"Valkyrie"
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
C-Dory Year: 1991
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a real warning, from me!

When fueling your boat, either at a fuel station or at a gas dock, NEVER talk to the people who approach with the standard "Cute boat yah got there".

I did that one time, and had a spill that put gas in the cockpit bilge.

Now I say, without looking up, "Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm fueling. Check with me when I am done fueling."

Nothing is as important as giving 100% attention to the refueling procedure.

Refueling boats at a land gas station is more dangerous than filling a car because boats have an open vent that can emit fumes, where as cars have a sealed tank system.

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well,
I fell victim to the trust it if its on the brat site syndrome. No harm, good intentions all around.
Notayot

Vessel Name: Notayot (sold 2/2018)
Photos: Notayot
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 15 years ago a fellow employee left for lunch and on the way to eat decided to refill the fuel tank of his Ford F-250. As he placed the nozzle into the tank filler and pulled the lever he was looking directly at the filler (no vacuum collar on the nozzle) and saw a tiny spark jump between the nozzle and the filler tube. A small orange flame erupted and in panic he pulled the nozzle out into the open air. He withdrew a flaming steam of gasoline onto his truck and himself. He rolled to the ground and someone hit the emergency shutoff. He spent time at the hospital but all ended well for him, only minor burns on his hands. The truck was repaired.

Several facts came to light in discussing this with Ford. The high efficiency tires have less carbon in them, making them less conductive, and therefore the vehicle can retain a higher voltage charge for a longer time after stopping. The fuel itself moving through the nozzle could create a large difference of potential and can cause a spark if the nozzle is moved and momentarily lose metallic contact with the filler pipe (I'm not sure of this but then I don't want to test the theory).

I personally subscribe to the "never operate a radio transmitter (even the small one in a cell phone) in a hazardous atmosphere, and never operate an electrical switch (door light, ignition etc) in the same atmosphere" and never get back in the vehicle until fueling is complete. I also never move the nozzle once I start to pump, and always try to touch a metallic part of the car (not near the filler) before removing the nozzle.

Not all of the incidents cited may be real but I know one that is real, and that's enough for me.

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are certainly precautions to be taken when fueling. I have already given my opinion of filling tanks in the boat which are not attached to the fuel fill, and where fumes can accumulate in the cockpit or cabin.

I am not aware of any cell phone starting a fire or explosion--but I suppose it could happen. When doing gasoline, I stand with the nozzle--diesel I put on automatic. Never get in the car--often get in the RV during fueling with diesel.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, sorry I didn't de-bunk/research the post beforehand, but it turns out that our wise group set us straight, with some good additional advice as well.

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Boating Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: