The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

E-TEC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:57 pm    Post subject: E-TEC Reply with quote

First impressions, not a complete road test.

Took the 22 out for her maiden voyage today with the 90 E-TEC. All good so far. You've got to look at the label on the engine to know it's a two-stroke. Smooth, quiet, docile.

Weather was yuk, so couldn't do a full test -- rain, gale-force winds, so just a fun day. Next service is three years from now -- and that's good. The onboard oil tank is good for about 100 hours and NO SMOKE. Have never before run a 2-stroke that didn't smoke... fuel consumption seems about like the 90 Honda, but weather was too bad to give it a fair test. Top speed about 28 knots -- but it's over-proped a couple of inches. With a 13" wheel think maybe another knot or two. Troll speed is a bit high - about 2 knots, but that's with no fishing gear in the water. The 13" prop should bring that down a little - I hope. Hope to give it a real shake down at Neah Bay halibut opener.

Great to get on the water again, warm cabin, great boat. Old Duster is ear-to-ear Very Happy

Dusty
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw a ad with the etec 225 comparing trolling fuel use with the yama 225. in 8 hours of trolling on the same boat the etec used 1.4 gallons the yama (a four stroke) used 4.5 gallons. thats impressive.
C-WEED

City/Region: New Brockton
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Weed
Photos: C-WEED
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is both interesting and hard to believe. When you think of all the injectors and spark plugs firing every time the piston comes up or every crankshaft revolution on the 2-stroke VS. every other time the piston comes up or every two crankshaft revolutions on the 4-stroke.

One would think the 2-stroke could maintain the fuel lead. I guess the heavy flywheel (do they still use heaver flywheels on 4's than 2's?) closes the gap on up the rpm band when torque is needed most.

What type of boat was the test done on? Good luck with the new-tec, high-tec engine.

DUSTY: It sounds cool. When you get it all sorted out, how about a rundown on all the high tec stuff it uses? ie. variable intake- exhuast ports? ceramic pitons? When/how does it mix the oil? The old (Variable ratio oil injection) VRO engines had a problem of the plastic drive gear or just a crack/air leak in the oil injection line. No warning sound. Just a loss of power and the indication of having to buy a new power head. How does the E-tec prevent this?

starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the e-tec info I stated comes from a evinrude ad in the april edition of Motorboat. big two page spread on page 8-9. And I see i got he numbers off a little. Heres straight from the ad. e-tec 1.9 yama 4.2 gallons. at trolling speed for 8 hours on a 2005 sea sport 238 center console. at the evinrude test center. Both motors are 2005 225 hp. and the yama is a four stroke. People are hard to accept the new technology that evinrude has made for two strokes but its amazing. also the e-tec is 53 lbs lighter then the yama. I would like to see what the top end difference was. the only reason i dont have a e-tec was the honda financing for the boat
Sawdust

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris,

Gotta do some homework on this because it's all new to me. My fuel flow indicator showed .8 GPH at troll speed -- but this was just a first test, and I haven't yet calibrated my equipment so that I can be confident in the numbers. It is a VERY nice match for the 22 CD, and the engineers have done a lot of homework to get the E-TEC to its present level. More later.

Dusty
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
C-Dory Year: 1991
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dusty,

I am glad to hear that you are back on the water again! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

I'll be waiting for the real test drive report!! Smile Wink

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
Adeline

City/Region: Vancouver
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Adeline
Photos: Adeline
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'll be waiting for the real test drive report
Me too!

Catman

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Songbird (Bambina, 16')
Photos: Bambina
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to hear you had your shakedown cruise, Sawdust, even though Mother Nature threw nasty stuff your way. I'm glad you're back out there.
Thumbs Up
Sawdust

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys -- I'll probably calibrate tomorrow and possible do my first test run. Of course I'll keep the depth sounder running when I go by my favorite halibut hideouts!!

Understand that rascal runs at about 375:1 oil mix at idle and puts less oil in the water than a 4-stroke. Oh my!! This is an intersting piece of engineering to me after years and years of running 2-strokes and inhaling oil fumes. Sure hard to remember my days as a partner in a Johnson/Evinrude dealership in the early 1940's -- when a 22 Johnson P.O. was a hot machine. Exclamation And when the Mercs used to slam us on every closed course race. Shocked

Dusty
Big Mac

City/Region: Chehalis
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Mary Ellen
Photos: Mary Ellen
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:12 pm    Post subject: C-Salt pics? Reply with quote

Hello Dusty, great to hear that you have the new C-Salt on the water. I sure would like to see some pics when you have time. Happy boating, Big Mac.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: