View previous topic :: View next topic  
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Tow SUV which can be towed 4 down Reply with quote

I am throwing this out for opinions from those who may have had some different SUVs. We have used a Honda Pilot (getting a bit long in the tooth now after 10 years and 85,000 miles driving and over 80,000 miles being towed.) We are looking for a "new" SUV. Unfortunately the Pilots are not certified to be towed 4 down behind an RV currently, and the 4500 lb is close to the weight limit. So recommendations have been Jeep Grand Cherokee, GMC Acadia, Chevy Traverse, Based on comments from the RV community. (I don't particularly want a truck, for several reasons) Another possibility is a full size SUV in 4 x 4 such as Escalade (Pricey!), Tahoe, Ford explorer, expedition--not real great fuel economy in these etc...

I like to keep the boat gear locked up in an SUV, plus be able to lie down on one side and take a nap while Marie drives--these are factors which tend toward a SUV. If we go to the Luxury SUV, then it is Marie's car--and not sure she wants that to be used for towing boats!

We towed our 18 foot Caracal down to the keys with the RV-since the RV has 10,000 lb tow capacity--it was just like it was not there. BUT--the Caracel was close enough to the 65 foot limit that a couple of FHP officers gave us a once over--one pace it off, and said "probably OK"--we had stopped to adjust a cover, and he stopped to be sure we were "OK"....The C Dory 22 would be too long to legally tow (although we see big RV's towing big trailers all of the time...

Any suggestions for a SUV with good tow capacity, which can be towed 4 down?

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dr. Bob,

Two full size SUVs that we towed behind various coaches: Chevy Tahoe and a Jeep Grand Cherokee. The Grand Cherokee is more "car-like" in the way it drives and doesn't sit as high. The Tahoe felt more solid and was great for towing, since it has a frame and not unibody construction like the Jeep. Both towed 4 wheels down with no modifications. The Tahoe only had 500 pounds more towing capacity (at that time) than the Jeep, but towing was definitely better in the Tahoe.

Both vehicles were decked out, and both were very comfortable drivers. At the time we owned them, the Jeep was around 4,200 pounds, the Tahoe was around 5,500. Both were easy to drive around town and park; no mechanical issues with either.

Good luck with the search.

Best wishes,
Jim

C-Otter

City/Region: Superior
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: C-Otter
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tow a Suzuki Grand Vitara, 3600 lbs auto transmission,length 176" w base 104", six cly. Great car for running around town, a little hard sprung for long trips. Mine is a 2006 and is a great well built SUV, standard model. They do have the deluxe model also. Mileage is 19-24.

Not a Luxury SUV but a lot easler on the wallet and fun to drive. C-Otter
thataway

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C Otter, according to what I find the Suzuki Grand Vitara is rated to only tow 3000 lbs, so it would not be suitable for towing the C Dory 22--Am I missing something? I may have not made it clear that I need a vehicle which will tow the C Dory 22 easily There are a number of good options which do not have the 5000 lb tow capacity I am looking for.

Of course there is the new Grand Cherokee with the 470 hp which beats out the Jag XK in the Robb Report--but the 14 miles per gallon highway mileage puts that well out of range.

Joe, both the Tahoe and the Grand Cherokee are on the radar. Thanks

Bob
CaptMac

City/Region: Amelia Island / Jacksonville
Photos: Blue Manatee
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:46 am    Post subject: towing Reply with quote

I have a winnebago rv and have looked at some dinghys. A couple of lighter, flat-towable choices that should be rated to pull 5,000 lb are the jeep liberty and wrangler. They don't require the installation of a neutral kit, fuses to be removed or have distance limits, ie, pulling over every 500 miles to idle the engine. The nissan xterra is a good choice but has distance limits. The jeep commander and gran cherokee are only towable if they have a quadra systems, at least in the 2010 models.
http://www.floundergigging.com
Flounder Gigging Charters
"The Adventure of a Night-time"
904-556-0230 Cell/Text
C-Otter

City/Region: Superior
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: C-Otter
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Dr. Bob. I thought you were looking for a toad only. I use a !/2ton Silverado to pull the boat. Embarassed C-Otter
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a 4 door jeep wrangler & though a great off road vehicle & not bad on & the increase to 285 hp for the 2012 model it still is only rated to tow 3500 pounds.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob-

If I were going to tow a ~4500 lb CD-22, I'd get as a minimum:

1. a 5 liter V-8 engine.

2. a full-size 3 or more speed automatic or manual transmission with overdrive (the OD for non-towing use).

3. I'd prefer selective 4WD, but 2WD would be OK with some form of limited slip configuration. (Depending on where you intend to launch and winter driving conditions).

In my opinion, the CD-22 requires a full 1/2 ton truck style/size drive components, whether in a truck or SUV. Some of the lighter 4 and 6 cylinder vehicles, those with AWD, light suspensions, and other lesser rigorous components may not be up to either the towing or stopping tasks (or both) required by a CD-22, at least on the open highway, and especially over long distances, mountain roads, frequent trips, etc.

I know you may be familiar with all of this, and may or may not agree, but it's here for all of those following this thread to think about, especially since we routinely get questions about whether some of the lighter vehicles are suitable towing vehicles.

Good Luck! I'll be interested in what vehicle you choose for the job!

Joe.. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
SouthLake

City/Region: Celina
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2008
Photos: Get~Aweigh
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We towed our 25 cruiser with a 2009 GMC Yukon with the towing package rated for 8,000 pounds and were very happy with it. It can be towed with all 4 wheels on the road as well.

Jeff and Deb
The Get~Aweigh
2010 Ranger Tug R-25
thataway

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with the larger engine and vehicle. Pretty much has to be 4 x 4 for towing 4 down, with a few exceptions of smaller vehicles. Most of the larger SUV's which have a neutral in the transfer case will be suitable. It is also my "daily driver" so I do like reasonable economy, and comfort. This year, we will put well over 10,000 miles on it just going back and forth to the West Coast.

Of course a lot depends on how it "sits" when I get in in! We had looked at some luxury cars, for Marie last year--and many were just not "comfortable" for both of us. Marie says she is giving up her "new car" for a better tow vehicle. Sure great having a wonderful wife with great priorities! On the other hand not a lot of gals who would go cruising over 80,000 miles in sailboats! Plus give up their dream houses for a vagabond life....

Yes, I agree, that the 4000 to 4500 lbe rated vehicles are OK for short distances, but for the longer, you want a hefty vehicle. We towed the other 22 behind the Road Trek (1 ton chassis), a 30 foot RV which we had upgraded to tow 7500 lbs--both transmission and hitch. And the Pilot for at least one trip to Vegas and Powell.

Thanks for the other thoughts; I will check them all out.
ferret30

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Lily Pad
Photos: Lily Pad
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love one of these:

http://www.toyota.com/fjcruiser

5000 capacity is just enough, but the mileage isn't that much better than our 4wd 1500, and I don't know the 4 wheel tow details. But it's neat!
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ferret30 wrote:
I would love one of these:

http://www.toyota.com/fjcruiser

5000 capacity is just enough, but the mileage isn't that much better than our 4wd 1500, and I don't know the 4 wheel tow details. But it's neat!

My son considered one of these a few years back but decided it was too small.

Room for 4, but not much else.

Would not work as a tow along storage vehicle, IMHO.

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up
Walldog

City/Region: Port Isabel
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: R-27 Tug
Vessel Name: Willie's Tug
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We tow and have towed our Grand Cherokee since 2005. Actual weight is 5000 lbs. Maybe the newer ones would be under 4500 lbs with a smaller engine, but ours is a full 5000 lbs. Pluses, it follows great. Put it in 4 wheel neutral, put it in park, remove key, lock the doors and go. Minuses, ride is rough, fuel mileage with Hemi is terrible, I am only 5' 4" tall and I cannot enter the drivers seat without scraping or bumping my head. I guess that I am just too stiff to fold up easily. Did I say it rides rough? We have towed this vehicle close to 70K miles.

I am considering towing our Dodge Cummings 4 wheel drive. Just need a new tow bar, which I could use anyway as my current one is getting a bit stiff to operate. A new one with a higher weight rating would be needed for the Dodge truck. The truck is very comfortable to ride and drive.

Towing our boat with the motorhome is out for us, we would be over 80' bumper to swim platform. Also probably right about the weight limit or a little over. Although I think we could beef up the hitch to make it work, it would not be something we would consider. Do I really want to find a ramp long enough to launch the boat with the motorhome.....no. Then the motorhome is not a great vehicle for going to the mall shopping or picking up supplies.

Good luck finding the right vehicle. We will be following this with interest.

Port Isabel TX/Ballard WA
http://walldogsjourneys.blogspot.com
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:01 am    Post subject: Tow SUV which can be towed 4 down Reply with quote

I'm not a Dodge guy, but you might want to look at a Dodge Durango, seems adequate. I guess they would slap a hemi V8 in it for you. Don't know about towing with the four wheels on the ground. Probably could find a slightly used Chevy Tahoe. The Chevy Traverse looks nice 5200 pound towing max.
D.D.

Walldog

City/Region: Port Isabel
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: R-27 Tug
Vessel Name: Willie's Tug
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the 2011 Dinghy Towing Guide from Motorhome magazine.

http://www.motorhomemagazine.com/Dinghy-Towing/2011-Dinghy-Towing-Guide/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: