Auto Pilot for 25" Crusier

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Okeydokey

City/Region: San Diego
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Candy 'O
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 2:27 pm    Post subject: Auto Pilot for 25" Crusier Reply with quote

Our Candy 'O is taking us on our first ocean cruise here is San Diego and I know we are going to like it so....is there anyone out there with direct experience with an autopilot with twin 90's on a 25' cruiser?

Or, is there anyone who knows anyone (and so on)? The fellow who installs electronics for us says stay away from any auto pilot with cable controlled outboards. We want to make 4 to 8 hour trips in the ocean and it sure would be easier with auto help.

Comments?

Helen O

City/Region: Cathlamet
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Helen O'
Photos: Helen O'
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okey

What specifically do you want to know? I just had the Raymarine ST5000 autopilot installed in my new cd25. I love it! It was the hardest to install but the easiest of my electronics to operate. It sure is nice to set it and eat lunch, tie up fishing gear.. etc.
I don't understand your concern about cable controlled outboards, unless you have one of the older 25's. The new cd25's come with hydraulic steering.

Larry S
Les Lampman
Dealer

City/Region: Whidbey Island
State or Province: WA
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okeydokey,

I'm with Larry S; the new CD25's have Teleflex SeaStar hydraulic steering.

The Raymarine ST5000+ has been replaced by the ST6001. No real difference in functionality and the control head looks the same but now the "brain" is in a separate box. And, the deluxe version has the Gyro 2 Plus Smart Heading System built-in (this is only really for those that also have a MARPA capable Raymarine radar; it does enhance the operation of the autopilot but maybe not enough to warrant the extra expense).

I've done so many now I see 'em in my sleep Shocked ; it's the only way to fly!! Thumbs Up

www.marinautboats.com
Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although we don't have the CD25, when we bought our CD22 last summer I asked Les to install autopilot along with some other toys. At the time I thought maybe it was a bit over-the-top, but after a ten day shakedown cruise I came to Love the A/P!

This is the first time we've had an A/P. Sandy and I enjoy displacement cruising (...very slow), and being able to set the heading and not having to constantly tweak the wheel is fantastic. Were I to do it over again, A/P would probably be the FIRST item I'd have Les install! [I can hear the conversation: (Les) "Ok Casey, you've got the A/P and electronics chosen, but you really need to decide on what power you want!"]

Aside from the course convenience of autopilot, it also frees you to attend to other items like navigation, checking the radar, or watching for hazards, whales or whatever. I haven't gotten to the point where I would leave the helm without a "watch" though.

...mmm, I wonder if Les could install A/P on my truck?

Casey
MichaelOnTheClaraMae

City/Region: Charleston
State or Province: SC
Photos: Clara Mae
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 12:47 pm    Post subject: Autopilot Reply with quote

We have a ST5000 on the Clara Mae and love it. I recently made a 1,800 plus mile trip from Charleston Harbor to Tampa Bay. The ST5000 was invaluable!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: