The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Kicker setup on 22
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ferret30

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Lily Pad
Photos: Lily Pad
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Kicker setup on 22 Reply with quote

I don't have a kicker yet, but I'm trying to figure out a few things I've been wondering about installation. In the next month I'm going to be removing an adjustable bracket from the port side, installing a factory swim step on the port side, and installing a kicker on the starboard side. I've been scouring old threads but not finding the specific info I'm looking for.

Some people clamp a kicker straight to the transom, some people buy a fixed (mini jacker) bracket that bolts to the transom and holds the kicker a few inches up and aft of where it would be on the transom.

Why is a mini jacker used? Is there a clearance problem with tilting a manual tilt motor (i.e. Suzuki 9.9AL) up into the well on the starboard side? Is it only to clear trim tabs (we don't have them)?

I would prefer to keep things simple, and clamping straight to the transom seems to be the simplest option, but is it better for the transom to have a bracket?

Is a long shaft appropriate for both transom mounting and mini jacker mounting?
nimrod

City/Region: Mount Vernon
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: 'Berta's Boy
Photos: 'Berta's Boy
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My kicker is mounted directly to transom on the starboard side. I had to cut off a small piece of the inside edge of the trim tab to get full range of movement on the kicker. It's a convenient mount and you won't have to lean over the transom to get at your kicker controls.

If you mount the kicker on the stbd side, then your port-side mounted swimstep won't force you to step over engine cables.

jd
Jazzmanic

Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Kicker setup on 22 Reply with quote

ferret30 wrote:
Why is a mini jacker used? Is there a clearance problem with tilting a manual tilt motor (i.e. Suzuki 9.9AL) up into the well on the starboard side? Is it only to clear trim tabs (we don't have them)?

I would prefer to keep things simple, and clamping straight to the transom seems to be the simplest option, but is it better for the transom to have a bracket?

Is a long shaft appropriate for both transom mounting and mini jacker mounting?

We had a mini-jacker installed on our boat to add clearance for the trim tabs. It works out great and gives it a nice clean and solid installation. Here's a pic of our installation:

Email: pjamero@gmail.com
ferret30

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nimrod wrote:
My kicker is mounted directly to transom on the starboard side. I had to cut off a small piece of the inside edge of the trim tab to get full range of movement on the kicker. It's a convenient mount and you won't have to lean over the transom to get at your kicker controls.

If you mount the kicker on the stbd side, then your port-side mounted swimstep won't force you to step over engine cables.

jd

It's a long shaft, right?
ferret30

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you tilt a kicker from the cockpit (non electric tilt)? Something like release a latch, pull on the head cover?
Adeline

City/Region: Vancouver
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Adeline
Photos: Adeline
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the factory set-up on an '89. Long shaft. Motors tilt up/down together or separately.

Jazzmanic

Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ferret30 wrote:
How do you tilt a kicker from the cockpit (non electric tilt)? Something like release a latch, pull on the head cover?

Yes. It's really not that much of a reach. You just flip a lever down and pill from the top of the cowling. The controls are easy to get too and the tiller is right there. I do prefer to connect the two engines with a tie bar and steer with the steering wheel inside the pilot house rather than steer with the tiller. In that way, I can also use the autopilot as well.

Peter
rjmcnabb

City/Region: Pender Island (Southern Gulf Islands)
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Luna
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ferret,
I have been thinking about posting on this, too. I have a 16 cruiser,20 inches from lip to hull bottom; motor is 23 inches from clamp to anti cavitation plate, so the dimensions seem OK. What bothers me is the force of the OB clamps on the transom! Is there an issue of damaging the fiberglass and the core material in the transom?
Not drilling the transom seems desirable, but not at risk of structural damage. Many small boats seem to have a transom pad, but is that just to make the transom thick enough to match with the OB clamps?
Rod.

Rod & Jane; Victoria 18 sloop (Vickie) - gone; Islander 26 Bahama sloop (Callisto) - gone; WW Potter 19 sloop (Spring) - gone; Com-Pac 16 sloop (Bummer II) - gone; Nimble 24 yawl (Chatelaine) - gone; Nimble Vagabond cruiser (Loligo) - gone; C-Dory 22 Cruiser (NoddyBleu) - gone; Com-Pac 19 sloop ('Winkle) - gone; San Juan 24 sloop (Loligo^2) - gone; C-Dory 16 cruiser (Luna); Catalina Capri 18 sloop (Later)
ferret30

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjmcnabb wrote:
Hi ferret,
I have been thinking about posting on this, too. I have a 16 cruiser,20 inches from lip to hull bottom; motor is 23 inches from clamp to anti cavitation plate, so the dimensions seem OK. What bothers me is the force of the OB clamps on the transom! Is there an issue of damaging the fiberglass and the core material in the transom?
Not drilling the transom seems desirable, but not at risk of structural damage. Many small boats seem to have a transom pad, but is that just to make the transom thick enough to match with the OB clamps?
Rod.

I wondered about the forces on the transom too, but I don't think it would be a big deal. We're planning on using it as an emergency motor anyway, so it won't see much use.

One reason I'd prefer to just clamp it on is for safety. I could bolt the motor on the transom but that requires drilling, and it's hard to take off for theft prevention. Also, a thief might really do damage to the transom trying to quickly remove a bolted on kicker.
nimrod

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my kicker is through-the-transom bolted on. I believe it's a long shaft.

jd
nimrod

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It also has an electric start, so because of the cables, it would be pointless to clamp it on to prevent theft.

jd
20dauntless

City/Region: Mercer Island and Decatur Island
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Retriever and Nordic Tug 37
Photos: Retriever
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had EQ install a 6hp longshaft Tohatsu a few months ago.

They bolted a plastic block on the transom and mounted the kicker onto it so the kicker would clear the trim tabs.

I opted for the most basic kicker I could and it works fine. No electric start, tilt, or charging capability and tiller steering. We had all the bells and whistles on a kicker on a different boat, found that we never used the kicker (and paradoxically the extras made using it more difficult), and eventually took it off the boat and sold it.

The Tohatsu is easy to tilt up and down manually and generally easier to operate than the fancy kicker we had on the other boat.

dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My kicker has always been on the transom, with no drilling thru it. Sometimes, when the boat is heavy, or at high speeds, the kicker will drag in the water even when raised. I have thought about mounting it on a jack plate of some sort but haven't got around to it. I like the one pictured with the Tohatsu, above.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
ferret30

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info and pics so far!

So, I'd imagine the kickers would have an adjustment to set the down position, maybe a stop or a pin, and then from that point onward you have the motor locked in either the up or down position. Or do you tilt it to the closest notch each time and lock it?
416rigby

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Foggy Dew
Photos: Foggy Dew
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At first I mounted the kicker right on the transom, but didn't like it because of cable clearance and it drug in the water a bit when tilted up. Personally, I think the mini jacker is the way to go. It was inexpensive and easy to install. It raises the kicker up and aft a few inches so no more clearance issues. It's easy to tilt. I really like it. Yes, you set the angle of your kicker with an adjustable pin...just put the pin in whatever hole you need to get the angle you want. It can be seen in this pic. Be sure to seal up your mounting holes very well. I used 4200 fast cure. We also slave the kicker to the main so we can steer from the helm while trolling.

Rick

At last...home for good in the Great Northwest!

2001 22 Cruiser "Foggy Dew" 2006-2013
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: