The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Marinaut Boats on the road
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Marinauts, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Les Lampman
Dealer

City/Region: Whidbey Island
State or Province: WA
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Marinaut Boats on the road Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'd like to ask for some input. I'd like to get the Marinuat boats out where people can see them and I'm wondering what you all think is the best venue for something like that.

You likely know I shied away from the Seattle Boat Show this year. I thought the boat would show well there and be well received. Too well received actually.

I'm now considering ways to get the boat out to where folks can really see it, touch it, and talk about it without being in a large boat show atmosphere. And I'd like your thoughts on what kind of situation that might be.

I've thought about "demo days" in various locations, smaller "mall" type shows, visiting gatherings, etc. I'd love to hear your ideas. If you were looking at the possible purchase of a M215 where would be the place you'd be most likely to interact with it?

Thanks!

www.marinautboats.com
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les-

There's no question in my mind that you'd get the most effective presentation at the C-Brat Get Togethers held in the water at various locations in the PNW and all over the U.S.

You'd have a great audience of dedicated C-Dory enthusiasts who, in turn, would spread the word and enthusiasm about the boat, having seen it in person, perhaps ridden in it, etc.

Some might even decide to put in an order, for that matter.

Plus you wouldn't have to pay significant fees to show it, like you would at boat shows, or get it mauled by folks who have no intention of ever putting foot in it again, etc.

You could also combine such showings with a short 1-2 day visit to any dealers who might be interested in handling the boat in the area, if that applies, etc.

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly agree with Joe.

Also almost all of us have daily "confrontations" with interested parties at gas stations, camp grounds, launching ramps, and even had one guy get me to pull over at the next wide place in the road to look at a C Dory.

I would at least get a good article in one or two of the local boating rags--even sailboat rags--with emphasis this is where sailors go when they give up sailing.

I don't think that one "show" would be much better than another.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les, trailer it down to the new (soon to open) Cabelas Store in Marysville a couple of weeks after they open and park it out in their lot, and "pretend" that you are there to shop for awhile. I'd wager that you'd get lots of attention. Not only would it be seen by those visiting Cabelas, but would be very visible by those on I-5. If you get the boot off their lot, then move over to the neighboring Walmart Store and set up camp... Laughing .
If you want anyone to come keep you company, let us know. I would certainly join you and imagine there might be a few other interested Brats that would be willing to join you.

(Might want to "glue" a couple of downriggers on it to lure the guys and place a vase with a rose and a bottle of wine on the dinette table for the wives to view).

(Additionally, if you did this on a Saturday and generated enough interest, you could advise those interested that you would put it in the water in Everett on the following day (Sunday) for demo rides and schedule times for the rides. If you do this, I know of a fairly convenient place that you can park your vessel for the night that is totally safe and FREE! just let me know).

C-Brat #16
Connie Fisher

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Les,

Last year I had contacted you to come visit, and here is another invitation to the Third Annual, 2012, “National Mississippi River C-Brat Gathering” which is being held at the American Marine Yacht Basin Facility in Dubuque, Iowa.

Thursday evening, Friday, Saturday and Sunday breakfast (September 6, 7, 8 & 9)

Take a look at http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=17434

Regards,

Ron Fisher
Sam Walker

City/Region: Wherever the RV is today
State or Province: SD
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Les. There is an in water boat show in Alameda (SF Bay Area) in the Spring every year. I don't know too much about the specifics. The Outboard Motor Shop had space there quite a few years back.

Like Dave S has stated, if you make it to the Sacramento Area or need a stop on the way to Lake Tahoe. Let me know. There is plenty of room here to store a legendary Marinaut and its hearty crew.

retnavy

City/Region: Hampton Roads Virginia
State or Province: VA
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would travel to a dealership to check out a boat or a boat show as the rumour is that they are less expensive at boat shows. Parking it at a Cabelas or other sporting goods establishment is a great idea as previously posted.
c-ness

City/Region: Bellingham
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: C-weetness
Photos: C-weetness
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I volunteer to cruise the boat all around Puget Sound. I'll answer all questions cheerfully, if not with complete knowledge. Ok, just kidding, but I would suggest parking the boat at a busy boat launch. Here in Bellingham the Cutwater dealer leaves a boat parked at the ramp and there is always someone checking it out. It may cost a launch fee, but it might be worth the small cost. I'm not familiar with all the launch sites but I suppose a handful of them are the busiest.
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

c-ness wrote:
but I would suggest parking the boat at a busy boat launch. Here in Bellingham the Cutwater dealer leaves a boat parked at the ramp and there is always someone checking it out. It may cost a launch fee,

Totally agree with the above statement. The suggestion of Bellingham is a great one. Additionally when you take folks that signed up for the demo rides, that I suggested in my previous posts, you will find that most likely the Everett Launch Ramp is one of the busiest. Additionally, they have dock space at the ramp site, that is not in the way of other boaters that are launching and retrieving.

(Of course we know that you are already familiar with all of these launch sites, so you know what is available there. Smile )
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a bunch of good ideas. I think the Cabella's on one day followed by a sea trial day the next would be good, in any location. Might add in some fishing tournament days. And you wouldn't have to be there early, just be there in time for the fishermen to come back and see you there with a huge fish, could be a wall mount or from Pikes Market, on ice. Don't forget a big sign that says "For Sail" Cool

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are more then welcome to bring it to the la conner gathering in July. If you want you can leave it there for the weekend and I would be willing to show it to people. i have driven the boat before and it handles great.

On a general note I would show up with it at the everet ramp on the opening of every season. Halobut , ling Shrimp for sure. and just have it parked in the lot or on the out side pier with a banner. Everett is the largest launch in the state and can hold over two hundered truck and trailers. I have seen it full and over full on openings.

There is also a fishing derby at least once a month some where in the sound. Show up and display the boat.

Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les, in addition to some boat on the road work, I think a couple of really good (i.e. professional) videos on Youtube would be worth the effort. Some boat on the water shots, some detailed looks at the interior. Maybe show how you convert from open cabin to Alaskan bulkhead.

Get a couple of threads going in various boating interest groups, and I think you would get a lot of interested and hopefully serious people.

dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les- Please post where you will be and when. I certainly would like to show up and I'd bet a lot of Brats would too.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les,

I think we will come in contact with the Marinaut at either a C-Brat get together or by driving our butts up to Whidbey Island to see you. If any of us want a Marinaut, we already know how to find you and the boat. I think the real question is how to best find potential new customers for these boats (not customers who already have $'s tied up in a boat with which they are relatively happy). For that, you need real marketing because a large number of people have to see the boat to find that magical customer who's willing to pull the trigger and who has the $'s or available financing.

Since the Seattle boat show was likely to generate more customers than you can handle, the second question is how many customers do you want/need in the next 6, 12 and 24 months? The Seattle boat show is great because it attracts large numbers of people interested in boats and you can get enough views to have a small percentage of viewers turn into a large number of purchasers - especially if you come prepared with a package "boat show special" deal that you can deliver on.

So..... my suggestion is to look for shows that bring the same collection of people out but which are of a scale that's more consistent with your needs. E.g. if there was another boat show that was 1/4 of the size of Seattle, would that still generate too many customers? How about 1/8 the size? etc.

Also, while I like the idea of parking in a Cabella's or Walmart lot, I question both the legality and ethics of doing so. I'd rather call the potential locations to see if there was some mutually agreed upon way to do so. It may be you can find someone who will allow you to do that in exchange for something (co-marketing of some sort or another perhaps). Another possibility is to show the boat at an RV/trailer show or a sportsman's show. The RV/trailer show might bring in the right potential audience especially if you have a sign that says something like "Why buy a camper that you can only use on land when you can get a boat that you can camp in on land and on the water?" E.g. sell the "boater-home" and the cruiser in the same deal.

Don and Brenda

City/Region: Camano Island, Wa
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: R-27 Tug
Photos: C-Quest
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is always the Anacortes boat show, March 23-25. It is a free show and I have always enjoyed the more relaxed approach they have. Of course they have an Anthony's now at the marina, maybe the show would allow you to park the boat in their lot, since the show is on the water.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Marinauts, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: