The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

!@#$%&^* trailer bearings
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UncleRichie

City/Region: Bainbridge Is.
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Critter
Photos: C-Critter
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:06 pm    Post subject: !@#$%&^* trailer bearings Reply with quote

Made it almost 8 miles today before the bearings went south on one side off the trailer, fixed it along side of the road then drug it home and checked the other side. Same problem, rats fixed that side to. So every March replace wheel bearings. Maby tomorow I can get down to the Columbia and try to catch a springer. Hope Larry leaves me some at Cathulmat. Does anybody know if champion axle stubs are stainless?
am going to try there axle and see if it works better then easy riders, can"t be any worse.
Richard
Mr. Fisherman

State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Sea Lion
Photos: Sea Lion
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have to wait until March to change your bearings. I have found that any month with days ending in the letter "Y" are suitable.
The best time to chenge the bearings are right before the perfect tide, on your way up or down a hill, during the "Perfect Storm", after a long hard weekend at sea, or my personal favorite, halfway to where you have reservations on the coast, just before the parts stores all close, on a Friday evening on Highway 101. Yea, that was my favorite. Ever try to find a place to stay on the coast in the middle of summeron a weekend after hours? Almost as much fun as finding parts and a welder.

Sorry. I hate trailer problems. I really do. Yes I do... really. No, I am not kidding... I REALLY DO!

Live to Fish
Fish to Live
Mr. Fisherman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yea, and for clarification.... I repack my bearings every Spring, and I grease them every launch, and I carry spare parts, jack, three jaw puller, brass punch, grease, more grease, and other associated crap to to this far too regular maintenance on my trailer. I am just blessed with an apparent overabundance of trailer failure bounty goodness.

This and I found out today that the tax refund I was planning to spend on the boat turned in to a debit instead of a credit. I am so happy.... Rolling Eyes

Have I mentioned that I really hate trailer problems?
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I saw this post I somehow knew that you two would find each other... kindred spirits!
Chris Bulovsky

City/Region: Washburn
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 1998
Vessel Name: SCOUT
Photos: SCOUT
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all the advancements in technology , Automotive, Medical, Space, Ect. I don't think trailers have advanced , in fact I'm thinking they they are getting worse. Newer trailers are pretty chinsy. Plastic fenders poorly placed lights. Maybe a conspiracy to sell more parts ..... Imagine a maintenance free trailer.........A feller can only dream.
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, they can put a man on the moon (a long time ago at that) but they can't (finish this list):

1. Make a light bulb that doesn't break off in the socket
2. Make windshield wipers with blades you can change easily
3. [Trailer bearings go here I guess...]

Chris Bulovsky wrote:
With all the advancements in technology , Automotive, Medical, Space, Ect. I don't think trailers have advanced , in fact I'm thinking they they are getting worse.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Catman

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Songbird (Bambina, 16')
Photos: Bambina
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And can I add batteries to that list? They're made to last a lot fewer hours than they should.
Rose
Cutty Sark

City/Region: Kenmore, Sammamish Slough
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Cutty Sark
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:13 pm    Post subject: Trailer bearings. Reply with quote

Funny how some people have so much trouble when they are so careful to do all the maintenance and are well prepared. And then there guys like me who forget to grease the bearings all year Disgust , drive countless miles and experienced no trouble, go figure. The only thing I forgot to do as far as maintenance was the darn bearings, but then again my previous boat was alot shorter and lighter than a CD 22. My new trailer (ezloader) Has these enclosed bearings, they have a plastic see through cap and you can see the grease or oil inside. They look well sealed. Has anyone tried these?

Sark
UncleRichie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject: trailer axle Reply with quote

Hi Ray,
Was the axle you ordered a torsion bar, the one with the rubber instead of springs?
Richard
Redƒox

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this is a "Pub" and all... (I'm sittin back in a lonely corner with girl trouble again Cry ) but I hear the topic and think to myself: I have not touched the wheel bearings on RedFox's trailer since the late 90's sometime Xmas Eek
My lil' trick is: When it's time to pull-over, I simply touch the hubs, to see if their getting too warm Idea (I hate workin on them dang-gum greasy basterds like hell Crook ) Saves a lot of work Very Happy
A round of brew fer yas... Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer

out... Bat poof Bat
Work Release

City/Region: Everett, Wa.
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Work Release
Photos: Work Release
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:53 pm    Post subject: brakes and bearings Reply with quote

Greg,
I'm with you! I have been pulling my boat around quite a few years and have always pulled over after about five miles and felt the hubs. Usually if your going to have a problem its going to happen fairly soon. Every time I stop its a walk around for a feel. In the spring I jack my trailer up and spin the wheels to see how the brakes are riding and adjust them if necessary and of course bearing buddies are a must. Problems I have had are with the cheap backing plates the trailer factory installs. I guy can buy the galvanized ones with stainless springs and they last a long time. I carry a spare tire, backing plate, grease gun, and spare set of bearings when on the road. Nothing worse than working on the side of a freeway in the rain working on a trailer wheel.
Jim, Work Release
dogon dory

State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: DogOnDory
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Folks - Post Deleted By Author

Last edited by dogon dory on Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total
UncleRichie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:46 am    Post subject: trailer bearings Reply with quote

Hi Greg & Jim,
my bearings on my trailer have been a sourse of problems since I bought it. I have tried everthing I could think of including running a tube up from the over flow vent for grease to the top of the fender to keep any water out, also tried running ep 90 like in a rear end, it just through it out all over everthing. Seems that the seal surface is quite a bit under size so that the seal does not seal right they are almost a 64 th of an inch under size. Today I ordered a new axle I hope that it takes care of the problem. I am going to mic the seal surface and make sure its the right size this time.
Richard
Redƒox

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I see. Confused Sounds fishy, to be sure! I bet your axle is defective, as in; not done right Exclamation (or done all the way Laughing ) You know... a batch that is not to the right specks Sad
Can also be, the right seals were never in it from the start. Have you tried miking the axle and the hub, and going to a bearing place and getting a seal that way? compare it with your old one Idea Hard to believe an axle can be that far out of spec Exclamation
Maybe it's true, a lot of stuff is getting chinsier these days. Well it is true, but I won't say it's that. My trailer however is an oldie...)
Mr. Fisherman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my axel is on the way too. Slightly upsized and with a totally sealed bearing set. Oil bath hubs, new brakes, backing plates, brake lines, the works and I am getting an extra set of hubs, bearings and seals.
Should be able to tell if there is a water problem by looking at them.

I always put my hand on the bearings every trip. I am so tired of this crap.

The new axel arrives on the 12th. None too soon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: