The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Fla Keys in January
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Munchkin

City/Region: Washington
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Munchkin
Photos: Munchkin
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:35 pm    Post subject: Fla Keys in January Reply with quote

Erma and I are planning to head for the Fla Keys in early January for a week. We are new to criuising (all previous boats were fishing boats) and niether of us have ever been to the Keys. If we could possibly tap in to some of that perverbial C-Brat wisdom prior to the trip (do's and don'ts), it would be greatly apreciated. Right now we are thinking of making Marathon our initial destination and cruising out from there????

Thanks
Ernie

Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Fla Keys in January Reply with quote

Hi,
We are thinking about the same trip maybe starting a little further north like Key Largo. We are planning for late March as it can be chilly down there. We plan on coming down the intercoastal waterway until Marathon and then coming thru to the Atlantic side but staying inside the reef running Hawk Channel down to Key West eventually. We are going to try staying at Geiger Key Marina see the link www.geigerkeymarina.com which is only about 10 miles north of Key West. Then get a rental car to go back up and get the truck and trailer. I would sign up for active captain and check out all the marinas and their ratings, ramps, gas anchorages, and it's free. Here is the link www.activecaptain.com. Click on the inter active cruising guide and zoom in on the area you want to to look at click on the red markers which are marinas and check out the reviews. Boat ramps are blue, anchorages are green etc. Cool stuff. Dockage in Marathon seems to run about 2.50 per foot. There are plenty of places to anchor out. A Florida Keys Guide or a complete Florida Guide that includes the keys. Take warm clothes, make sure you get a marina that allows you to have full view of the sunsets. This is all I know. Have a great time.
D.D.

joefish

City/Region: Great Falls
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: My Girl
Photos: My Girl
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D.D. that's a lot of good advice. Thanks! I plan on cruising around the Keys in late January early Feb. I'm concerned that it will be cold but I hope to be able to say, "Its a lot colder in Virginia."

I'm wondering if there are any fish to be caught down there in the middle of winter? I've heard amberjack may be biting.

JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a fan of the "Managing the Waterway" cruising guides. They have a Florida Keys guide that we used to find good anchorages and services on shore.

If you want to take a view of the "Cruising Adventures of Wild Blue and Crew" in the Grand Adventures forum, the first page there starts with some of our time in the Keys. We enjoyed the area a bunch; have been there several times.

January can be cold... or it can be lovely. More likely, it will be some of both. When a norther blows in, you want to be in a protected anchorage or at a dock. Fortunately, there are plenty of decent anchorages... you just watch the weather to see which way the wind will be blowing and then decide which side of the Keys will provide the best protection. While I haven't started there, I think Marathon is a good starting point, especially if you just have a week. You can spend a little time there and learn a lot about the cruising lifestyle... plenty of live-aboard folks there, especially in the winter.

Stay flexible, go do some of the touristy stuff, and mostly have fun. Oh, and keep us posted.

Best wishes,
Jim B.

jennykatz

City/Region: naples
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:36 pm    Post subject: keys fl Reply with quote

We have done Bahia Honda State park it was $2 a ft that includes,water ,elec., parking your rig and it's about 40 min drive to Key west from there Its right on the other side of the 7 mile bridge south of Marathon Here are the numbers
800-326-3521
305-872-3210
305-872-2353
305-289-8877
Some are for the Marina and some for the state park call the 800 number first they will point you in the right direction
Hope this helps let me know when your coming Jim

00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
ajens

City/Region: Brookings
State or Province: SD
Vessel Name: Molly J
Photos: Molly J
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another good spot to put in at is Mangrove Marina at Tavernier. They have a ramp & parking for vehicles & trailers. We have been coming here for several years & it is a great location with access to groceries, post office, shopping, etc. Transient dockage never seems to be a problem. It's Bayside with easy access to the ICW & all the cruising you would like. Yes, we are here now and it is cold but as we tell our friends back home, at least we aren't shoveling any fluffy, cold, white stuff. If anyone is coming this way, please either stop by or give us a call (605.695.9359)or post us a note, we're looking for some new cruising friends.
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:22 pm    Post subject: Keys Reply with quote

Andy how long will you stay in the keys I would like to get down there some time in Jan. We are in Naples Fl. about 4-5 hr drive to Bahia Honda
Munchkin

City/Region: Washington
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2010
Vessel Name: Munchkin
Photos: Munchkin
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:36 pm    Post subject: Fla Keys in January Reply with quote

That's what I love about "Brats", always willing to help. We greatly appreciate the input! The trip planning is still in progress and the replies have been very helpfull.

Our plan so far is to depart NC on Saturday 1/8 and hopefully trailer to somewhere in Florida, boat-camp overnight, then continue on to somewhere in the Keys on Sunday. Putz around there for 4 or 5 days and then eeeeze on back north. How's that for a well defined plan???

It's a fairly long road trip considering we have only been able to spend 3 weekends on the boat since we got it. Hey, C-Dory owners are adventurous....right? Oh well, our motto is "if we ain't got it, we'll do without it". I know we have the essentials, corkscrew, wine glasses, fishing rod, and a great group called CBrats to help us muddle through what we don't know.

Thanks again for the suggestions!
Ernie
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Cold" in the keys is relitative. We had temps in the mid to lower 20's the last few nights in Pensacola--and the keys were in the 50's. The average low in the keys in January is 65 and the average high is 75. Last years record low was 47 in January...

We hope to be down there in the last week of January and the first couple of February. Bahia Honda is a great place for the boat--camping is taken a year in advance. There are plenty of places to anchor out in the keys, so you don't have to put up with $2.50 a foot a night.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Will-C

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject: Fla Keys in January Reply with quote

Joefish, Munchkin, etc

I found a link about the fishing in the keys that might answer some of your questions, seems like cobia, snappers, grouper might be good bets.
May the force be with you. Smile http://www.fishingfloridakeys.com/florida_keys_fishing_seasons.htm

D.D.
ajens

City/Region: Brookings
State or Province: SD
Vessel Name: Molly J
Photos: Molly J
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes we are here in Jan we usually are in the keys until the end of March.
Although we take a number of cruises so may be gone for a couple of weeks from time to time (if the weather cooperates , anchoring out when its 45 degrees is not for us)
marvin4239

City/Region: Jacksonville Florida/Wilmington NC
Vessel Name: C-FLE II
Photos: C-FLE II
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope to be at and around Bahia Honda for about a week around the 13th of January. Keeping a close eye on the weather it's been pretty chilly here in NE Florida.
Will-C

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:42 am    Post subject: Fla Keys in January Reply with quote

Key West today a high temp 75 and low of 68 degrees. Very Happy Beats a high of 34 and a low of 21 degrees in Pa. Cool
D.D.
Miafun1

City/Region: Illinois
State or Province: IL
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Lake Effect
Photos: Lake Effect
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We launched our boat at Jacksonville, Fla. on the St. Johns river January 20 and have traveled the ICW down the coast and are presently anchored in Tarpon Basin at Key Largo. We have seen many wonderful sights and have really enjoyed the trip. The weather has been outstanding. The adventure continues each and every day.
Any tips from those that have experience would certainly be welcomed.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't miss Key West, there are a lot of good things to see: Harry Truman's retreat, Hemingway's bar and the Nuestra Seņora de Atocha Museum . In the latter you get to touch a gold bar from the Spanish Treasure Fleet.

Also visit the Dry Tortugas , great experience for the history and the snorkeling.

In spite the warmth, there are a lot of norther fronts come through, but they only last a day or two.

Boris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: