City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
Since we couldn't go to Canada this year, Did anyone do a ride, long short or in the middle? Or have you been staying under the roof and away from the bug?

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

We're about 2 1/2 months into our summer in the Black Hills, with lots of great riding...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L6-slZH5qo
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a nice ride. Are mountain goats really mountain goats if there only in the hills?

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Video! Those are not your grandmother's Vespa's!

How do you transport them? Too heavy for the boat!! (or a hitch rack for two?).

Oh to be young again! Thanks for the video.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted by Minnow, back in 22012:

Quote:

Here's another one that's not quite so politically incorrect.
If you suffer from vertigo, it might not be the best choice.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE8o4sVLRBc&feature=plcp&context=C3086b56UDOEgsToPDskK8XBNDH1yAK7zL3SKVcCuE

Regarding the ride down the trail, through the snow. Riding out in the Mohave Desert, the course once in a while went down a ridge. Not as long as the video, and I can't remember snow on a ridge, but still a ridge.

So, I remember one, with the wind blowing sideways, guys walking their bike along and I rode it. Faster you went, easier the ride. I later talked to the fast guys, and they didn't remember it as rough, went right through. I began to understand the difference between the "fast" ones and me was enormous. Their reflexes were just faster.

The guy riding down that trail was Shane Watts, noted for his successes in extreme enduros. His confidence must have been high. Light snow has good traction, if I remember.

That said, for me it would have been a dream only. For him, it's another way to prove to us how good he is. BTW, he wasn't the first down that trail. And certainly better than I.

Boris
JamesTXSD

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Great Video! Those are not your grandmother's Vespa's!

How do you transport them? Too heavy for the boat!! (or a hitch rack for two?).

Oh to be young again! Thanks for the video.

My Vespa GTS is about 350 pounds; Joan's Yamaha Xmax is close to 400 pounds - they travel behind us in an enclosed FeatherLite cargo trailer. The trailer also makes a great "portable garage."

And for Jody: well, "Hill Goats" just sounds silly, so I'm staying with "mountain." Terry Peak, here in the Black Hills advertises itself as "the highest skiing east of the Rockies." Harney Peak (apparently now called Black Elk Peak) is the highest point in the state at 7242'. Not as majestic as the Tetons, but I like this area, too. Cool
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, Thanks for the link to your video. NICE. Except for those narrow, black tunnels. Yikes. I didn't see any stop lights there. Never been fond of being a hood ornament. But, Yes, someday I am going to ride through SD, and see some of those sites.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

JamesTXSD

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
Jim, Thanks for the link to your video. NICE. Except for those narrow, black tunnels. Yikes. I didn't see any stop lights there. Never been fond of being a hood ornament. But, Yes, someday I am going to ride through SD, and see some of those sites.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Ya take a look through the tunnel before you start rolling. Wink

The Black Hills is blessed with some spectacular riding roads. Iron Mountain Road was designed to be unique: 17 MILES, 314 CURVES, 14 SWITCHBACKS, 3 PIGTAILS, 3 TUNNELS, 4 PRESIDENTS, 2 SPLITS. It is anchored on either end by Mt Rushmore, and Custer State Park, two of the most visited destinations in the Black Hills. Most motorcyclists have heard of "Tail of the Dragon," I prefer Iron Mountain Road. And, while it gets the most attention, there are SO MANY other great rides in the Black Hills: all of Custer State Park (Needles Highway, the Wildlife Loop, Playhouse Road, Hwy 16A), Highway 244 that passes Mt Rushmore, Old Hill City Road, Nemo Road, Vanocker Canyon Highway, Spearfish Canyon Scenic By-Way, Boulder Canyon Highway, Norris Peak Road, Highway 385 (I call it "the backbone of the Black Hills), Neck Yoke Road, South Rockerville Road, and many more.

There is a reason the Harley Owners Group (HOG) rates this area as a "must do" every year. And that isn't adding in the other good roads in nearby Wyoming and Montana. The San Juan Islands and the Gulf Islands are some spectacular cruising in a relatively compact area - that's what this Black Hills area is to motorcycling. If all one does is pass through on I-90, you are missing 99.62% of what the Black Hills is all about. Wink

We lived in this area for almost 30 years, and I never took the riding for granted... somehow it seems even more special to be able to come back and visit during the good riding months.

If this whole being re-retired thing doesn't work out for me, I may consider a job with the Black Hills & Badlands Tourism Association. Cool

Oh, and the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1hh7plwOn4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKNFIQOGpQs

Just a ride-through for me this year - too many people, not enough following safety procedures. And that video was shot on an especially quiet day during the Rally.
hardee

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"We lived in this area for almost 30 years, and I never took the riding for granted... somehow it seems even more special to be able to come back and visit during the good riding months."

Thanks Jim. Those mountain roads are to you what the San Juans are to me. So, If it's not to big of a secret, what do you consider are the best riding months? AND, I'm hoping they are not the Sturgis Rally months.

I totally agree about the safety concerns. I'm in NM for a bit, and I see folks riding all the time, no gear, no helmet, and I don't get that. And Yes I know, it might be hot weather, but there is hot weather gear available.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

Nancy and Bud

City/Region: Nashville
State or Province: IL
Vessel Name: Emma Mae
Photos: Emma Mae
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim B. you are a real trouble maker. You know I'm bike less and haven't really changed my mind till your video! Mad

You guys are having much too much fun on those scoots. Very Happy

Thanks for sharing.

Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grandma said it best:

"Anything with testosterone and wheels is gonna be trouble."

Aye.

JamesTXSD

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey: the "good riding months" are any time it isn't cold and snowy. Wink May through September can be great. Indian Summer in October can be a treat. Yes, the roads are crowded with bikes during the Sturgis Ralley, but the riding is still good. A few days ago, we got behind a slow-moving Jeep (I don't know why, but it is always a MN license plate that is going to be pokey) that took some of the fun out of that stretch of road. So, you pull off, have a drink of cool water, then move on. While September can be great, the weather here is going to turn to crap today, with a chance of snow in the higher elevations tonight through tomorrow. But, it'll be good riding again in a couple days.

Bud: I know how much you've enjoyed riding over the years. I would not be the one to encourage you to get back on two wheels... but I thought I was done riding 7 years ago, and then Joan suggested we get a couple scooters. I scoffed at that idea... and then bought a couple scooters. That BMW scoot was a bit of a behemoth... those first small scoots we bought were SO easy. We stayed away from the highway stuff until getting these more capable scoots. We are having more fun now than... well, you know.

Foggy: I usually skip over your posts, but your Grandma was right, bless her heart. If you don't play the game, you don't get to make the rules. Moon My dear ol' Irish Grandmother used to remind me about what Lenny Bruce said "if they can't take a joke."
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesT: Maybe a surprise but I don't read many posts either. And it's fine you
don't read mine since my posts aren't for you. They are for me.

Aye.
hardee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jim. I guess I was looking for when are the roads least crowded, in general, but then, there might not be a General, SD. Yup, do love a good Indi--- (ahhh First Nations, Native American, American Indian, oh well, just plain) Indian Summer. October has always been my favorite month outdoors.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

JamesTXSD

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

October is a crap shoot in the Black Hills. I used to call September/October "mellow time," because the tourists were mostly gone, but the weather is still generally good. No idea how the tourist situation is going to play out - the resort where we are members has bookings above last year for September. A lot of people left yesterday... having to get back home after the holiday weekend, no doubt, but also because we saw a bit of snow this morning when we got up! Shocked It is supposed to be back in the 70s by the weekend.

Really, we have had very little issue with finding uncrowded roads when we're here... but we stay away from the most popular roads on the weekends and have plenty of other good places to ride.

I gave you "the highlights" earlier, but when you're ready to ride here, I'll give you more details... kinda like fishermen not giving away their best spots. Wink
hardee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly and Thanks again Jim. I am hoping to get that ride in next year. Understandable that you don't have a crystal ball. Don't think I have been through Sturgis since it became a "thing". My parents lived and worked in several places in SD over about 12 years, but left not long after I was born, then we went back many tomes over the next 6 years, so I remember several of the places there. Since boating has been a priority for the last few years I haven't covered much dry ground. That will increase as I do some re-prioritizing.

Thanks for the incite and offer. Wink

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: