For Motorcyclists
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rainger

City/Region: Victoria
State or Province: BC
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys like that give bikers a bad name. I cant stand the crouch rocket crowd.

Even when I am cruising on my Harley they have some need to go by me as fast as they can to prove themselves.

Kinda like the jerk power boaters (not c-dory owners) who come by my sail boat as close as they can to wave and leave me bouncing around in their wake as I try to catch everything falling off the table or counter.

I ride a big fat bagger and get there in comfort not speed. Also why I am going for a C-Dory. comfort and practicality over speed.
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have ridden for over 50 years....and other than the occasional off-center fall over I have not had any bad experiences.. (I am too short for modern bikes) I own 5 bikes and one sidecar rig.. I ride in heavy LA traffic during the winter...but it is with the knowledge that they are all trying to kill me.
I gave up riding fast years ago... the exception of the freeway where you will get run over if you do the speed limit... Have ridden cross country 3 times with a sidecar rig...camping along the way...great fun..

Yes I agree motorcycles are really dangerous but fun so I will ride into my ole age with a smile on my face.

Joel
SEA3PO
Molly Brown

City/Region: Punta Gorda
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: MOLLY BROWN
Photos: Molly Brown
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw the video that started this thread. I've ridden bikes my whole life. That kind of stuff does nothing to impress anyone but an airhead. I don't care if it's a bike, car or boat...TAKE IT TO THE TRACK. Now here's a video that gives me goose bumps and I love the sound track! Make it full screen and be sure to turn up the volume. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxHzwWndtvk

Lizarry

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Anytime Baby
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah the Isle of Mann TT ..... more people have been killed racing there than any other racing venue in the world , Professional Factory racers won't race there as it is too dangerous , going there and watching that race is way up there on my bucket list.
matt_unique

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:16 pm    Post subject: Old or bold Reply with quote

I have seen that video before...that is some crazy skill and a lot of luck. The adage of 'old or bold but not both' applies here. Wow...

I take motorcycle trips every two years and where I ride you would not be able to negotiate the turns on a Harley - you need pipe and peg clearance to turn on these roads. I ride a crotch/cruiser type like a Yamaha Phazer FZ1 or a BMW 1200R but not to pop wheelies and ride like a bat out of hell.

I actually just returned from Moscow and you would need to be several hours outside of the city (14,000,000 people) to have traffic moving that fast but wowee that is something. No thank you!

Former owner of Napoleon (Tomcat) Hull #65 w/Counter Rotating Suzuki 150's.
UncleRichie

City/Region: Bainbridge Is.
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: C-Critter
Photos: C-Critter
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you looked at some of the vids from Russia that is not to crazy . Migs doing fly over of road at about one hundred feet tanks taking short cut across highways cars flying through traffic and hitting motorcycles and not even slowing down trucks knocking other trucks off the road and keep right on going and my favorite a truck hitting a Vovo that slid on ice the truck does not even slow down and is pushing the car down the road ( don't know if it ever stopped or maby the car finally slid off the front end of the truck ] guy gets in crash and just gets out of his car and walks away. Having a cam in your car is needed to prove your case or else its just tough luck. We think we have it bad here NOT.
Richard
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So....after reading this thread, considerable waiting,(paying for that MC endorsement for every drivers license renewal), thoughtful introspection and... taking a friend to the MC shop to pick up his bike, I liked the look of one in the "experienced" rack. Black, Chrome and Silver, and it fit right. Low seat, sit-up seat, and powered just right for commuting -- as in 60 mpg. SO..... Shocked I went home the owner of a nearly new, 750 Shadow Aero. Thanks to Jim, I tried a couple of "Scoots" and I did a few check rides on some other bikes; larger, heavier, dressed, and all, but really like the simple, classic leather Tuxedo look of the Shadow.

It has been nearly 2 years now. It has been "tuned up" for the road, LED fog and driving lights for the front, with a modulated headlight, and LED tail, turn and running lights for aft, with about 2/3 increase in overall brightness for visibility. It's a comfortable ride, and visible. Good gas mileage, smooth and just the right, quiet rumble.

Nearly 10 years on the ambulance, and 25 in the hospital, ER and ICU are not soon forgot. Lessons learned.

Riding, on the dry days,

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey, a tip of my hat. Got one running, now just have to bring myself to ride it.

Boris
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a video of me at the Thompson Motor Speedway in CT. I attended a "track day" and class with Tonys Track Days. Lots of fun! This year I haven't done much riding because I found my new passion....boating! I'll definitely give it another go next year though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRmbW6FA5FY
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These videos remind me of my younger days (much younger) and
explain why I now have some bionic parts.

There are risks with being alive and living. Some feel safe only when
boarded up in a padded room. Others go for the gusto. The one good
thing is that most of us have a choice.

Richard Bode, in First You Have to Row a Little Boat, says it best.

"...the truth is that I already know as much about my
fate as I need to know. The day will come when I
will die. So the only matter of consequence before
me is what I will do with my allotted time. I can
remain on shore, paralyzed with fear, or I can raise
my sails and dip and soar in the breeze."

Aye.

breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's a wonder I survived my teens and early 20s.
Love to ride and ride hard, never been a big fan of just cruising along.
My current ride at 60 is a BMW r1200 rt.

Heated grips, heated seat, cruise control, anti lock brakes, still pulls the front end off the ground in 2nd.

2007 22ft C-Dory Triple J 2007-2012
2007 25ft C-Dory Triple J 2012-2018
Boatless for now but looking
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what mine looked like when I brought it home.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Blueback

City/Region: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Blueback
Photos: Blueback
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
A close friend of mine just recently bought a bike, sport style, capable of doing 180mph. He is old enough to know better than to do that, but is using it as a commuter, (1.5 hour drive to work) and saving gas money as well as having a good time. It has gotten me to thinking, I could commute for less too, not on that type of bike but starting to look around at options. Thought I'd bring this back up and see what the safe and sane C-Brats are riding now.

My thoughts are toward a 650 to 900 cc cruiser style, with a bit more weight and a lot slower. I travel about 40 miles to work each day, same amount back after a 12+ hour day shift, and it is 2 lane country, curvy highway, 50 and 55 mph speed limit. Road is generally dry and temps are rarely below 40F.

When I was younger, and rode a lot, I never rode like the guy in that video. Shocked

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

At 80 I have decided that the bike I will ride into the future is my BMW F650GS duel -purpose, with a 800cc Austrian Rotax engine. On a quite - open highway I have had to 110mph and it was still climbing smartly. I normal ride at the speed limit though, and this was just a test run . My wife rides a Triumph 2009 Bonneville SE and we love to ride together in the summer. Coming home about 2 months ago a cager turned left right into my path. I had one thought while hammering my ABS brakes to the max. "is this how it ends". Strangely I saw this so matter of factly. No drama, just the end of life. Then to my amazement the brakes preformed beyond anything I would have considered possible and I was able to - while fully locked up- get a bit of a turn out of the vehicles path- yeah I made it by about 1 foot to spare. I am still in disbelief that I missed this vehicle. So to summarize - bikes are getting safer- but car drivers are getting dumber- may be a 0 net sum --eh.

3-Work at rebuilding the endangered runs of salmonids on the West Coast
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cindie and I are both ABS converts after many machines without and would never go without again unless it was a dirt only bike these days. Maybe a little scooter used locally at low speeds... but even that gives me pause after 25+ years and about 180k miles of "experience" gathering. I really like being able to just squeeze/stomp and focus on balance instead of modulation and balance. We all know how well multitasking works out.

I installed my own ABS shutoff switch on my bike because of all the BS about it not working off road and I have found just the opposite with my bike and never turn it off. I think it might have been some early iterations of ABS on bikes that started those concerns but damn if they are persistent in the "opinions" riders have on ABS for off pavement use. More recent reviews and professionals are just now starting to come around on that topic and saying things like. "Just leave it on because it works everywhere these days"

I am riding a 2012 Suzuki V-Strom 650 and it does the long rides I like while being fun and bad dirt road/good trail capable.

Cindie rides a 2012 Honda NC700x with DCT auto transmission and loves it for the same purposes as myself although she does prefer shorter days (less than 500 miles) and to keep the dirt riding more limited.

My other riding buddy is on a Triumph Tiger 800XC and the V-Strom is a great bike to pair with that one in our experience.

Our bikes before Cindie had dualsport-ish tires and engine guards.
http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?full=1&set_albumName=album1321&id=20150301_080753&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

Buddies bike and mine this fall on a multiday loop ride
http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?full=1&set_albumName=album1321&id=20150816_081551&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blueback wrote:
hardee wrote:
A close friend of mine just recently bought a bike, sport style, capable of doing 180mph. He is old enough to know better than to do that, but is using it as a commuter, (1.5 hour drive to work) and saving gas money as well as having a good time. It has gotten me to thinking, I could commute for less too, not on that type of bike but starting to look around at options. Thought I'd bring this back up and see what the safe and sane C-Brats are riding now.

My thoughts are toward a 650 to 900 cc cruiser style, with a bit more weight and a lot slower. I travel about 40 miles to work each day, same amount back after a 12+ hour day shift, and it is 2 lane country, curvy highway, 50 and 55 mph speed limit. Road is generally dry and temps are rarely below 40F.

When I was younger, and rode a lot, I never rode like the guy in that video. Shocked

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

At 80 I have decided that the bike I will ride into the future is my BMW F650GS duel -purpose, with a 800cc Austrian Rotax engine. On a quite - open highway I have had to 110mph and it was still climbing smartly. I normal ride at the speed limit though, and this was just a test run . My wife rides a Triumph 2009 Bonneville SE and we love to ride together in the summer. Coming home about 2 months ago a cager turned left right into my path. I had one thought while hammering my ABS brakes to the max. "is this how it ends". Strangely I saw this so matter of factly. No drama, just the end of life. Then to my amazement the brakes preformed beyond anything I would have considered possible and I was able to - while fully locked up- get a bit of a turn out of the vehicles path- yeah I made it by about 1 foot to spare. I am still in disbelief that I missed this vehicle. So to summarize - bikes are getting safer- but car drivers are getting dumber- may be a 0 net sum --eh.

Wow Blueback! You're still riding at 80?! That is truly an inspiration for me. I will never complain about my aches and pains again...I'm 34 years old btw.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10

Jump to: