View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grumpy

City/Region: Whidbey Is
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Kingfisher II
Photos: Kingfisher
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Mark.

BTDT, at a very early age, and I attribute my survival to the fact that I understood what I saw. (maybe not then but later)

I think that all novice drivers of any sort of vehicle should have to spend a number of mandatory days/nights in some major ER such as Harborview on night shift. After that, if they want to do drugs or pursue equally terminal lifestyles then at least they are informed. Understand? Hell no. But at least they were shown the consequences and should have no further excuse except for the rather slow brain development of the human species compared to other animals.

My thanks go out to those that continually try to recover us from this fate and I never cease to admire the fact that they can retain their cool when faced with problems that Darwin figured out long ago.

Now, if it was so easy with politicians !!

M

Adeline

City/Region: Vancouver
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Adeline
Photos: Adeline
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
no one can control what others on the road might do

So true...

In 1976, at 17 years old, I was riding my Yamaha XT 500(dual-sport) and I approached an unregulated intersection in a quiet neighborhood.

I slowed to a stop, looked left-right-left...all clear.

I slowly entered the intersection and was creamed by a gal in a Mustang who appeared from my left at about 40 mph.

She lost her license.

I lost my spleen and almost my life. Piggyback transfusions in each arm and catheters in my nose and "bilge-pump" inserted by a lovely nurse not much older than me.Embarrased

When I was discharged 10 days later I'd also lost forty pounds and looked like an Auschwitz inmate. Skin & Bones, sunken cheeks. No football for Pete, not this season.

My beautiful bike was ruined too.

I decided then that road riding was too dangerous for my taste. I felt much safer racing through the forest on my next bike, a Yamaha YZ400. I actually clipped a deer with that bike and didn't even spill (another story).Rolling Eyes

Over the years my resolve weakened and I purchased several dual-sport bikes (like my '78 400 Enduro)

that I pretty much use to ride back-and-forth to local off-road areas like Jones Creek ORV area. Powerlines, trails, mountain vistas. Heavenly. I call it my treed cathedral.

Just a couple years ago two wonderful guys that I've known my whole life were riding on Hwy 14 down the Columbia River Gorge when a fellow in a pickup truck coming towards them decided to pass the semi he was following.

He either didn't see my friends or he misjudged distance/speed.

He sideswiped Doug who crashed his Harley into a ditch at 60 mph. He barely survived and still isn't the same.

He hit Steve's sidecar bike head on and we lost him. Steve's gone.

To all who ride I understand the allure and can't resist it myself, even with what I've experienced.

My only advice is to assume that everybody around you is going to do the stupidest, most unpredictable thing at precisely the worst possible moment. I always ride with that thought in mind.

Oh, and watch out for dogs that run into the road...and deer.

Sadly, that may not be enough to keep you safe but nothing in life is guaranteed.

Be careful out there. Wink

dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adeline wrote:
Quote:
no one can control what others on the road might do

So true...

Be careful out there. Wink

..and please sign your organ donor card...

MartyP
kennharriet

City/Region: Grangeville
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Lochsa
Photos: Lochsa
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This individual has no concept of risk management. Like they say, "you can't fix stupid". Unfortunately, idiots like this hurt other people.
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: bikes and other hazards Reply with quote

The major problem is most motorist do not look out for Bikes so you end up always on defense I've lost a few friends to motor cycles .My niece ended up a basket case ward of the state and a few other friends were never the same and these were all experienced riders One friend lost part of his leg and arm ,

another lost use of his leg and walks with cruches and I could go on and on etc etc etc So for me I will never ride another bike I lost a few of my lives already on bikes once in Hawaii and another time in NYC and the last time in Puerto Rico . So no more just say no

00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
matt_unique

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Wow Reply with quote

That is just insane....I love to ride when I can but never like that.
Former owner of Napoleon (Tomcat) Hull #65 w/Counter Rotating Suzuki 150's.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sooner or later that fellow will find a driver with a cement truck viewing his rear view mirror who is not amused, and will close the door, so to speak, on his antics.

Joe. Smile

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember everyone,

We all have stories, experiences, and know people who have been in car accidents and been hurt or killed, but we all still own and drive them don't we.

I spent over 10 years pulling bodies and body parts out of plane crashes and out of the wilderness as a technical mountain rescuer but that doesn't mean I shouldn't confidently buy plane tickets or go for a hike. Bad behavior often leads to bad results and good behavior is usually rewarded with survival.

The way a person goes about an activity is more relavant than the activity itself in most cases and motorcycle bashing is only different because we all enjoy a choice. We generally have nice parking spaces, garages, and money to support and cars and trucks while treating motorcycles as more of an optional hobby activity. We wouldn't be having this discussion if the roles were reversed and we would accept the risk of the activity as a necessary fact of life.

After crashing a motorcycle seriously and pursuing more knowledge on how to stay safer while enjoying riding, I read Proficient Motorcycling and the sequel book by David H. and after wading through the science and the mental factors, decided a rider can be as safe as they want to be if properly trained and prepared. But the training and preparing are sorely lacking in most folks riding portfolio and most riders ride the way they drive and accept more risk than they really need to leading to bad safety trends.

Riding could be treated more like boating or flying. Inspections of equipment, preparation for conditions, and the wisdom to just say no when the risk is out of hand.

The longer I ride, the more I stick to that mantra. Riding a big dual sport these days and seeking out desolate roads and places free of traffic contributes of my feeling of increased ability to mitigate the risks while still enjoying the riding enough to own a bike.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
MilesandMiles

State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 1992
Vessel Name: MilesandMiles
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aurelia wrote:
Remember everyone,

We all have stories, experiences, and know people who have been in car accidents and been hurt or killed, but we all still own and drive them don't we.

I spent over 10 years pulling bodies and body parts out of plane crashes and out of the wilderness as a technical mountain rescuer but that doesn't mean I shouldn't confidently buy plane tickets or go for a hike. Bad behavior often leads to bad results and good behavior is usually rewarded with survival.

The way a person goes about an activity is more relavant than the activity itself in most cases and motorcycle bashing is only different because we all enjoy a choice. We generally have nice parking spaces, garages, and money to support and cars and trucks while treating motorcycles as more of an optional hobby activity. We wouldn't be having this discussion if the roles were reversed and we would accept the risk of the activity as a necessary fact of life.

After crashing a motorcycle seriously and pursuing more knowledge on how to stay safer while enjoying riding, I read Proficient Motorcycling and the sequel book by David H. and after wading through the science and the mental factors, decided a rider can be as safe as they want to be if properly trained and prepared. But the training and preparing are sorely lacking in most folks riding portfolio and most riders ride the way they drive and accept more risk than they really need to leading to bad safety trends.

Riding could be treated more like boating or flying. Inspections of equipment, preparation for conditions, and the wisdom to just say no when the risk is out of hand.

The longer I ride, the more I stick to that mantra. Riding a big dual sport these days and seeking out desolate roads and places free of traffic contributes of my feeling of increased ability to mitigate the risks while still enjoying the riding enough to own a bike.

Greg

I completely agree with this. I'm of the opinion that people (or perhaps Americans) are getting more afraid of nearly everything on a daily/yearly bases. If we stopped doing activities that might hurt or kill us, well, may I suggest a human sized hamster ball?

I will NEVER stop riding motorcycles. I've become safer as I've gotten older. This is all we can do, or live our lives in the shallows of fear.

M&M
Bill3558

City/Region: RIchmond Hill, Georgia
State or Province: GA
Vessel Name: Pluto
Photos: Pluto
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ride a Victory Kingpin and its one of the funnest and most satisfying things I do. A motorcycle safety course is well worth the time and effort. It is no guarantee, but it is my understanding no motorcyclist who has graduated from a DOT approved safety class has ever died in a motorcycle accident in my state of Georgia. A buddy in Florida told me the same thing for his state.
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MilesandMiles wrote:
Aurelia wrote:
Remember everyone,

Greg

I completely agree with this. I'm of the opinion that people (or perhaps Americans) are getting more afraid of nearly everything on a daily/yearly bases. If we stopped doing activities that might hurt or kill us, well, may I suggest a human sized hamster ball?

I will NEVER stop riding motorcycles. I've become safer as I've gotten older. This is all we can do, or live our lives in the shallows of fear.

M&M

And I applaud both your decisions & hope you never have cause to change your minds. Even agree with most becoming more fearful. Fear is a great way to manipulate for good or bad those that want to control others’ lives. On the other hand being a fearful person has hardly been my forte. Included on my list of things I use to do & don't now is rope free rock climbing & riding motorcycles & much for the same reason. Slim to none body protection for the contact that will be made at the speeds one will attain doing either endeavor if a mistake is made. At least in that form of climbing your skill and physical condition largely determines your fate unlike the motorcycle where skill matters some but fate is much more determine by the action of others. My eldest son died at age 22 riding a motorcycle when someone who didn't see him pulled out directly in his path, but that isn't what made me stop riding. That decision was made many years before when realizing I just couldn't control the urge to push the limits & therefore increasing to much the risk.

No way would I now want to be involved in preventing others from doing dangerous endeavors they love, but I do think it wise to make a honest judgment of the risks vs rewards before undertaking them & that's a very personal decision as we all have different levels of acceptance to risk determined mainly by the love of the endeavor.

Jay

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A close friend of mine just recently bought a bike, sport style, capable of doing 180mph. He is old enough to know better than to do that, but is using it as a commuter, (1.5 hour drive to work) and saving gas money as well as having a good time. It has gotten me to thinking, I could commute for less too, not on that type of bike but starting to look around at options. Thought I'd bring this back up and see what the safe and sane C-Brats are riding now.

My thoughts are toward a 650 to 900 cc cruiser style, with a bit more weight and a lot slower. I travel about 40 miles to work each day, same amount back after a 12+ hour day shift, and it is 2 lane country, curvy highway, 50 and 55 mph speed limit. Road is generally dry and temps are rarely below 40F.

When I was younger, and rode a lot, I never rode like the guy in that video. Shocked

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Lizarry

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Anytime Baby
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya know back when I was young and dumb I too rode like a madman .... but I learned after a couple bad things happened that there are two kinds of people that ride motorcycles those that have kissed pavement and those that are going to kiss pavement ..... can ya guess which one that idiot is. Once ya have a case of road rash you never want it again .
Chester

City/Region: home
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sold to lovely couple
Photos: Chester
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey, a full on touring bike with upright seating, backrest and fairing is the way to go. The length of your commute and work day justify it.
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting how things have changed since this thread started. I have another suggestion for you, Harvey: a scooter. I know you read our blog once in a while, so you are probably aware that we bought a pair of scooters last year. Joan's idea. I didn't think much of the idea, but I did the research, and picked out what I thought would work best for our use: Honda PCX.

Pat Anderson bought a Honda Forza recently, a 279cc scooter that weighs 422 pounds. I think that would be a great commuter, with the distance and speeds you are talking about. Good storage under the seat. Decent protection with the fairing, and you can add a taller windshield.

Before you scoff at the idea of a scooter (I scoffed when Joan suggested it), they are easy, convenient, comfortable, and fun. I was feeling like I was about done riding with the V-Strom I owned before we bought the scooters. We have owned 25 motorcycles over the years; been riding since we were teenagers (I taught Joan to ride on my Triumph Bonneville when she was 16). We have traveled all over the country on bikes. My desire to get out on the highway and eat up miles is behind me, but I still like to ride... so the scooters are perfect for the type of riding we now do.

Twist and go. It really is that easy. They carry the weight low, so they are easy to move around the driveway or parking lot, but still plenty of fun riding in the twisties. After Harleys (9), Goldwings (4), BMWs (2), and a bunch of other bikes, I had no idea that scooters could be this entertaining. Instead of being done riding, we now ride every chance we get.

As the posters early on in this thread brought up, there is a risk of being on two wheels when most of those around you are on 4 or more. In the 47 years I have been riding, I have "gotten off hard" a couple times. A left-turning pickup truck put me in physical therapy for months. I understand the risks. On the Goldwings, I felt like "the king of the road;" on my Harleys, I was invincible (the pickup truck proved me wrong); on the BMWs, I never met a curve I didn't like. On the scooter, there is a completely different mindset (for me): I feel less desire to test the limits. Or, maybe it is a function of being older and wiser?

I am not suggesting that everyone should be on a scooter. But, it is a fun solution for us. As I have learned more about these two-wheel conveyances in the past year and a half, I have come to feel that they don't replace a motorcycle, they replace a second car. We have had fun mixing it up with the urban traffic in Phoenix (and previously, I detested that traffic), and these peppy scoots are as much fun on hilly, winding roads as any motorcycle I've owned.

Just tossing that out there for your consideration, Harvey.

Best wishes,
Jim

(Joan coming through a curve on Orcas Island, on the way up Mount Constitution.)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10

Jump to: