The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Camper back mounting to cabin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Don and Brenda

City/Region: Camano Island, Wa
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: R-27 Tug
Photos: C-Quest
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Camper back mounting to cabin Reply with quote

I am getting ready to have a camper back made, how is it connected to the cabin? I have seen a few pic that are just snapped directly to the fiberglass and others looks like there is something affixed to the cabin and then the canvas snaps to that piece. What is the best way?
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The King products have a zipper piece that is mounted across the top and snaps on the sides and back. Whatever you decide to do, pay particular attention to where the canvas joins the deck, and at all the corners. If it doesn't work correctly there will be leaks where water runs down the sides and under the canvas edges.
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper back mounting to cabin Reply with quote

Don and Brenda wrote:
I am getting ready to have a camper back made, how is it connected to the cabin? I have seen a few pic that are just snapped directly to the fiberglass and others looks like there is something affixed to the cabin and then the canvas snaps to that piece. What is the best way?

On the latter, it is probably a plastic/rubber track for a bolt rope. I have the snaps that are on the cabin roof, but wish that I had gone with a bolt rope. One thing I highly recommend is getting a zipper that will allow you to peel a part of the top back so you can step directly down into the cockpit. Otherwise, you unsnap a portion of the top, or get down on your hands and knees to crawl in.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The material which is screwed to the cabin top (and can also be screwed to the cabin sides) is called awning rail extrusion. This is available in both vinyl and aluminum--the vinyl is preferable for boating. This allows a fully water tight connection of the top and canvas. Agree that you want both a zipper on the welt which goes into the awning rail (also called a "bolt rope"--although an actual bolt rope is usually a bit heavier). There needs to be a double flap with velcro over the zipper.

It is far better if the top is free standing, thus the front few inches can be left open for ventilation in hot weather.

Here is a photo of the side using awning rail instead of snaps--and again it will give a more water tight connection:

Framework from the inside--and this shows the solid SS support fore and aft for the 1" diameter, thick wall SS pipe, rather than thinner wall tubing.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Don and Brenda

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, Bob that is a real nice set up. I am going to model mine after the boat Foggy Dew with mesh on the outside and sunbrella privacy curtains on the inside. Most of my boating for the next 3 years will be Sacramento, Ca based and when I move it to the Washington house will switch to Eisenglass.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don and Brenda wrote:
Thanks guys, Bob that is a real nice set up. I am going to model mine after the boat Foggy Dew with mesh on the outside and sunbrella privacy curtains on the inside. Most of my boating for the next 3 years will be Sacramento, Ca based and when I move it to the Washington house will switch to Eisenglass.

I'm sure Rick and Donna will be honored. I opted for a different approach. Might not work for some, but again, boating is a combination of compromises.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don, Ours had a stuffed edge with a rounded fabric lip on the camper back side and used twist lock fasterners hard mounted on the cabin top and no separate panel or zippers. It was quick to remove or attach, very sturdy, and never leaked a drop.

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=Aurelia&id=Picture_198&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
Don and Brenda

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Greg, I looked closely at your camperback as you well know, I do like the twist lock, certainly would make it fast, sometimes those snaps are a real pain. Congrats on the sale, just wish it had been me. Hope it went to someone who can appreciate the work you put into it.
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don, if you need a closeup pic of the edge folded back or something just let me know, It will be in the driveway at least another week or so.

Greg
416rigby

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Foggy Dew
Photos: Foggy Dew
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Don
We really like our camperback but to be honest we hardly ever use it...but it's a nice option to have when you want it. The attachment onto the roof is the bolt rope mentioned above and I like it a lot because it is quick and simple and nothing to corrode or break like snaps or similar fittings.

We have screens and eisenglass and drop curtains. When you set out to have this project done, try to think of everything you'll want so the design takes your desires into account. Feel free to shoot me a PM for more details if you like. If you ever get to the Port Angeles area, let me know and you can stop in and we'll throw it on so you can get an idea of what it's like.

Rick

At last...home for good in the Great Northwest!

2001 22 Cruiser "Foggy Dew" 2006-2013
Don and Brenda

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM sent to Rick,
Thanks Greg

I like the awning setup, very clean. I am going to get it priced out tomorrow if I can get my ride setup to the canvas maker, still 4 weeks before the doc will let me drive again after surgery
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: