The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Weight Distributing Hitches
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Weight Distributing Hitches Reply with quote

I am wanting to add a weight-distributing hitch system between my tow rig and the boat trailer. I bought the hitch assembly (Curt 17002) but the brackets that go on the trailer are designed for an A-frame style tongue. The boat trailer tongue is straight well beyond the place where the torsion brackets need to mount.

Most all boat trailers are like that, so how do you mount the things on there? I know some of you have WD hitches and am curious as to how it is put together. I bought the hitch locally and can go back there for advice or to exchange for another type, but they're closed for the evening. All the hitches I see on the Google are like the one I have and meant to mount on the other style tongue.

Thanks in advance.

Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

I think you need a pole tongue adapter, http://www.etrailer.com/question-3626.html

I had to use one on the TomCat trailer. It works great. Shop around for the best price.

Brent

Brent and Dixie,
1984 22' Classic sold 2003
2003 24' TomCat sold 2005
2006 TC255 Discovery Sold 2020
2006 CD 22' Angler Sold 2014
https://share.delorme.com/FBrentBetenson
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms." ~ Thomas Jefferson
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seen some with the bars just going straight back. Other install a crossbar to hook them to. All of them don't recommend them with surge brake because they defeat the brakes. I google images for weight distribution hitch for boat trailer and there are a few pics of both configurations.

Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a photo of mine in the Trailers and Towing section, it's quite an elaborate beast, but only minimally affects surge braking. It is on rollers, the whole assembly moves with the vehicle allowing the surge brakes to operate the actuator. The only affect is the friction induced by the tongue weight (and spring tension on the equalizers).

Maybe you can figure out how to add some rollers to that tongue converter, or, maybe not needed since Brent's works fine.

Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
TyBoo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering about the surge brake question, but found this post from Les and took it to heart. I bought the chain type hitch, and I think Les' reasoning is sound. I do think I may have too heavy a WD hitch. The one I brought home is for 1000# max tongue weight, and mine will be between 600 and 700 I'm guessing. I'm learning as I go here. The guys at North Coast Truck said this would be fine with the heavier rating, but I saw a post from Dr. Bob saying he used lighter bars for one boat and heavier for another. Maybe I'm making too big a deal of it. I know the rig will tow it just fine without the WD, but the book says to use one for trailers over 3500# so it is an insurance/liability consideration. The place where I bought it is great and they will fix me up with what I need or take it back for refund.

Needless to say, the Dodge 3500 diesel truck is gone. The new rig is a Jeep GC Overland with a tow capacity just over my loaded trailer weight. The Jeep tow capacity is 7200 GTW and 700 tongue weight. It will be fine since I have towed a total of maybe 20 miles in the past three years, and probably won't beat that for the next three years. But I want to be able to tow as needed. After I get over the shock of how I was treated by the Jeep dealer in Bellingham less than an hour after the sale when the brand new Jeep broke down, I will share the details of the new rig. But for now, suffice it to say it is the nicest vehicle I have ever driven. In a few years I will go back to a truck for towing, but for now the SUV better suits the family needs.
Rob & Karen

City/Region: Franklin
State or Province: TN
Vessel Name: Life of Riley
Photos: Life of Riley
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This hitch is supposed to be compatible with surge breaks.

http://www.equalizerhitch.com/

Rob
TyBoo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, true to form, I might be overthinking this. Here is a note from the installation instructions for the hitch I have:

Quote:
NOTE:
SURGE BRAKES usually require a small amount of fore-aft movement for their actuating mechanisms to
function. To avoid restricting movement, it may be necessary to increase the number of chain links between
the snap-up brakcets and the spring bars. CHECK TRAILER AND/OR SURGE BRAKES OPERATING
INSTRUCTIONS FOR SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS REGARDING WEIGHT DISTRIBUTING HITCHES.

Also, increasing the length of chain on the bars reduces the torsion on the spring bars, so the heavier max tongue weight rating would be less of an issue.

In the documents for the King trailer there is no mention of WD hitches. The book for the surge brake coupler states only that sway bars which restrict movement of the coupler cannot be used. The chains on the bars should allow plenty of movement.

I think I should buy or build the pole tongue adapter (thanks Brent) mentioned earlier and hook the trailer up and see how it works.

Thank you so much for the help so far and keep it coming.
Dreamer

City/Region: Really Sunny SaddleBrooke
State or Province: AZ
Photos: Dreamer
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

Here's the Equal-I-Zer hitch. It attaches to a pole tongue or split A shape trailers.

The torsion bars slide through the brackets and it works well with surge brakes.

Once a C-Brat, always a C-Brat

Dreamer- Sold 25 Feb. 2013
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:53 am    Post subject: torsion bars WD Reply with quote

Why could'nt you put on elec over hydraulic brakes so you don't need the surge activation ? Just wondering . We tow about 5000-5200lb without WD hitch and with surge brakes . If towing in mountains I would get the elec over hydraulic brakes Like DD said
00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We went to a weight distribution hitch--just for the better towing and tire wear on the C Dory 25. The "pole tongue adaptor" worked well. No problem with the surge brakes. We always had at least 6" of chains between the trailer pole adaptor and the equalizer bars. The truck was already rated for 1000 lbs tongue weight--but the equalizer hitch made towing much better.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Grumpy

City/Region: Whidbey Is
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Kingfisher II
Photos: Kingfisher
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

I can endorse Roger's comments about the Equalizer. I use on for the boat and for the land cruiser which came fitted with a chain version. The Equalizer is far better at controlling sway on the land cruiser.
If you go that way get the dealer to fit the ball as the retaining nut goes into a deep recess that requires a special thinwall socket and torque wrench.

Caveat being that I have electric over hydraulic but I can't imagine it affecting surge brakes too badly as the friction is not that much.

M

TyBoo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked up that Equalizer. It is pretty nifty but I cannot afford it. Price seems to be around $750. The old fashioned chain style hitch I got was $250.

Now, looky here what I made today. There is one for the opposite side, but I need to bore a hole in the plate for the brake line to pass through. The pole adapter I found online that was rated heavy enough was not spaced right in the mounting to fit my tongue. Plus it was spendy and not nearly as stout as the set I made. We're going to make this work. Thanks for the tips.

Dreamer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! Simple and ingenious Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
B~C

City/Region: Bend
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is that hitch working for you Mike?
For those with an equalizer type hitch, I'm thinking about adding a Fastway e2 to my tow package. I know it would make long hauls a lot nicer but am curious about-

when the trailer breaks over a boat ramp at a sharp angle, does it place an excessive load on the trailer tung?

how does that contraption handle turning at sharp angles

with an empty trailer, pulling out of the ramp is there going to be a lot of wheel spin, or without the boat weight do the bars become moot

thanks

Dreamer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken, I've never experienced any problem in any of these areas. The sharp turn is how you determine where the bracket for the torsion bar is placed, so the bar doesn't pop out in a tight turn.

I don't think the slight torsion would cause you to lose traction on a ramp. My F-250 is always in 4x4 on a ramp however.

The main advantage of the Equal-I-Zer Hitch was sway control at hiway speeds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: