The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Shopping

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alanc

City/Region: norwalk
State or Province: CT
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject: Shopping Reply with quote

Ok, looked at a very very pretty CD22 the other day. Looks like it was treated very well. Clean. Motor sounds good and gave us a respectable ice cold start. Price is (almost) perfect.

One concern. I will do my best to descibe this without a photo..(Shame! on Me)...The engine is clamped to the transom..inside the transome is the "motor well"..right? OK...where the verticle transome meets the aftward angled "floor" of the motor well is a fairly significant crack, about 1/16"thick, and about 16 inches long.

My concern is that any sitting rainwater or spray has no choice but to enter this crack, no?

If not for this I would have bought this already..I did agree to deposit the boat pending a survey.

Thoughts and opinions welcome.

I would be remiss not to say that the owner is a real nice guy.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The very top of the transom, is where the hull and deck join-not in the splash well. Any water in the crack you describe will just go into fiberglass. I do not believe that there is any balsa core in this area. The transom has glass in side and out--and then this deck mold, is placed in the hull. The crack should not cause any major problem

Also, radius bends in a mold like this do develop "stress cracks". My observation is that some of the 2002 to 2005 (give or take) boats may have skimped in glass in some of the areas of the splash well --like in the 25 I owned. If so, perhaps this needs some re-enforcement.

Having said all of this, I would have it repaired. You can ultrasound the thickness of the glass, and if adequate, then just "V" the crack and fill with gel coat.

I would discuss this with the seller--and see if they will at the very least split the cost of a repair. It should not be too much if the boat can be taken to the shop.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: