City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grumpy,
I don't know how well your Engle's freezer is protected from salt spray (and I don't know the relative salt spray resistance of the Engle). But the death of our first Norcold Chest was when I used it in the cockpit of a 23 foot boat, and it got some fine spray, and corroded.

But I agree that they are great solutions--and a good way to keep food for a cruise. Unfortunately none of these freezers have a lot of insulation. For comparison we built a freezer in the boat we took to Europe--it had 8" of closed cell foam insulation, with double vapor barriers and no voids--glassed in liner. We lost the generator, and that chest kept ice for almost a month sailing from the Med to France. (picture that we could only purchase a ton of ice at a time in the port--and they put it on the dock--we shoveled it into the dinghy, with just enough room for us left in the boat--and 2" of freeboard. The rest of the ton of ice went to the local gypsies, who scooped it up.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what you need Bob. Costco to the rescue with the "Easy MealŪ 4-person Freeze Dried Food Supply for 6 Months" - only .95 Cents per Serving, 6,096 Total Servings, "just" $5,799.99. You're welcome. Wink

PS - there's a claimed 25 year shelf life on all items so if you don't use it all in your lifetime, what you don't use you can pass on to the kids in your will.

Grumpy

City/Region: Whidbey Is
Vessel Name: Kingfisher II
Photos: Kingfisher
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

Yes, that is a legitimate concern and I really won't know the answer until it dies. They claim that this model is as "marinized" as possible and I have deliberately put it under the transom seat so that it will get no direct spray.
That said, it is obviously a salt laden atmosphere, and......

I would prefer to have it in the cabin but the Admiral and the dogs have other ideas about real estate in there.

If it craps out early, then I might just adopt your idea and build-in a real ice chest down there. You can probably still buy a Ton of ice for the cost on an Engle Smile I can just see you ferrying a dinghy full of ice with a bunch of French sailors on the dock making comments...

M

BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogerbum wrote:
Here's what you need Bob. Costco to the rescue with the "Easy MealŪ 4-person Freeze Dried Food Supply for 6 Months" - only .95 Cents per Serving, 6,096 Total Servings, "just" $5,799.99. You're welcome. Wink

PS - there's a claimed 25 year shelf life on all items so if you don't use it all in your lifetime, what you don't use you can pass on to the kids in your will.

The Easy Meal Freeze-Dried Foods Supply offers a mix of Breakfast, Fruits, Vegetables and Entrees enough to feed a family of 4 for several months.

Kit Details:
Shipment of 63 cases arrives on 1 pallet
Each case contains 6 cans of 1 item
6,096 total servings Nutritional & Ingredient Information
25 year shelf life on all items
Best if use by date printed on all cans
Kit Contains: Easy Meal Breakfasts
7 Cases/42 Cans of Granola with Blueberries and Milk (20 Servings per Can/840 Total Servings)
3 Cases/18 Cans of Scrambled Eggs with Bacon (16 Servings per Can/288 Total Servings)
6 Cases/36 Cans of Breakfast Skillet (10 Servings per Can/360 Total Servings
Easy Meal Fruits
3 Cases/18 Cans of Bananas, Sliced (20 Servings per Can/360 Total Servings)
2 Cases/12 Cans of Strawberries, Sliced (16 Servings per Can/192 Total Servings)
3 Cases/18 Cans of Apple, Dices (33 Servings per Can/594 Total Servings)
2 Cases/12 Cans of Apple, Dices with Cinnamon (33 Servings per Can/396 Total Servings)
Easy Meal Vegetables
4 Cases/24 Cans of Garden Green Peas (23 Servings per Can/552 Total Servings)
4 Cases/24 Cans of Green Beans (20 Servings per Can/480 Total Servings)
4 Cases/24 Cans of Golden Sweet Corn (22 Servings per Can/528 Total Servings)
Easy Meal Entrees:
5 Cases/30 Cans of Spaghetti with Meat Sauce (10 Servings per Can/300 Total Servings)
4 Cases/24 Cans of Chili Mac with Beef (10 Servings per Can/240 Total Servings)
6 Cases/36 Cans of Chicken a la King (11 Servings per Can/396 Total Servings)
5 Cases/30 Cans of Chicken Teriyaki with Rice (10 Servings per Can/300 Total Servings)
5 Cases/30 Cans of Macaroni and Cheese (9 Servings per Can/270 Total Servings)
Standard shipping via Federal Express is included in the quoted price. The estimated delivery time will be approximately 7 - 10 business days from the time of order.
Delivery is available to Hawaii. An additional Shipping and Handling fee will apply. This fee will be quoted at checkout. Additional transit time may be required.
Delivery is not available to Alaska or Puerto Rico.

Costco.com products can be returned to any of our more than 500 Costco warehouses worldwide.
Product ReviewsReview This Product
This item has not been reviewed. Be the first to write a review.
The reviews should load in just a moment.
http://www.costco.com/browse/reviewproduct.aspx
Read All Reviews

C-Nile

City/Region: Connecticut
State or Province: CT
C-Dory Year: 2012
Vessel Name: Betty Ann
Photos: C-Nile
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This year, we are going to bring with us on cruises non-refrigerated, home canned stews, soups and deserts. We have already made two batches of home canned, beef stew in a pressure canner, which has a shelf life of 5 years. It tastes great, is low-salt, and is very low on fat. There is no comparison between home-made stew and commercially produced products that taste like MREs, and which are rife with salt and preservatives. Not only will this food be great for cruising, but it is also great as an emergency food source at home.

Rich

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, when we started cruising in large sailboats Marie canned a lot of meet--chicken, beef etc. We got away from that because of the storage issue in C Dories.

I have seen the "survivalist" food rations--and think I will pass on that--sort of like the propane that Tom Talked about for Year 2000!
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Bump Reply with quote

I thought I would bump this to ask about freeze dried foods and recipes. My daughter stumbled on Thrive Life, a company in Utah, that makes some really tasty stuff, even dry. I never thought eating freeze dried corn or broccoli was a possibility, but it was really good.

I am thinking about buying a few different veggies and meats to mix up into a soup, or perhaps just a side dish. Anyone have experience with this? Their Fuji apples are wonderful, too.

Here's a link to the company...

http://www.thrivelife.com/foodstorage

PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent tried any of the freeze dried foods, but am interested to...

Our daughter is really fond of smoked fish and pepperoni , so I try to vacuum seal plenty of that to keep on the boat. 2 year olds can be a bit finicky.

Before our last 10 day fishing trip in october, I made a large stock pot of pork chile verde from scratch at home. It took all day but could have fed a neighborhood. I measured out portions and placed them in 1 gallon freezer bags to freeze solid. Instead of alot of ice, I used that to keep everything cool and alot of that stayed frozen for close to a week. Those home cooked meals were amazing reheated on the wallas served with some chopped tomatos and tortillas.

We also had a large bag of granola on the boat, not my favorite thing to eat but I did put alot of that away during those morning when we needed to be fishing and not cooking food.
Molly Brown

City/Region: Punta Gorda
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: MOLLY BROWN
Photos: Molly Brown
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dr.Bob! Just caught the first post from January 2012 and haven't read all the responses. You might want to check out "The Bean Book" by Rose Elliot. Seems beans are a cost conscious cruisers best friend.
Larry Patrick

City/Region: Dallas
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Sea -Jo
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mountain House has dehydrated or freeze dried pouches,can find them many locations. I have eaten them while back packing they are good .Some other brands were not really good,but Mountain House keeps you coming back for more.
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry Patrick wrote:
Mountain House has dehydrated or freeze dried pouches,can find them many locations. I have eaten them while back packing they are good .Some other brands were not really good,but Mountain House keeps you coming back for more.

Larry, I use Mountain House as well, but the stuff (individual ingredients) from Thrive is better, or at least that's my opinion. It would also be less expensive to mix up your own meals.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We buy freeze dry hash browns at costco in little milk cartons. They are wonderful and easy to make. Never have to worry about potatoes going bad.
bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Simple, non refrigeration cooking, favorite hints and meal Reply with quote

I like all foods except pomegranates (too much messing around). I was quite happy opening tins and packages and chucking it all in a pot. Then the admiral started looking at the contents on the back of the labels, especially the salt content. So beware about dehydrated foods.
I told her my beer was 95% water. I think I got away with it Wink

Martin.
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thread - reading through it I was beginning to wonder when someone was going to bring up home canning meat. I worked out on the prairies when I was younger and some of the ranches did not have hydro. Some of the best tasting beef I ever ate was home canned.

Agree with Bob - the pressure cooker is an excellent pot to have aboard. Makes numerous one pot meals. We also use ours to boil water for dishes. They also cook faster using less fuel. We use a stainless one - they say aluminum can give you sometimers!

Many tips can be found in cruising(sail) magazines. One tip is - do not wash any root vegetable - they rot faster after they are washed.

Regards, Rob

knewlin

City/Region: Smiley Park
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Secret of Life
Photos: Secret of Life
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Fast food Reply with quote

Donna and I always have a hard time adjusting to the relative "luxury" of the boat after backpacking. Some of those luxuries include: a pressure cooker, vacuum bags with a hand pump( Food Saver bags and Reynolds pump) ,canned food, and Gin.
We seem to prepare the same types of food( one pot) and eat fish fried,in soup or ceveche. We carry tons of limes for this reason and the aforementioned Gin of course. Even fresh water fish can be steamed ( over rice in one pot) and lime added when cold.
Some of the best foods we have found from backpacking: Nido
whole dehydrated milk, deyhydrated refried beans, dehydrated ground beef ( make it yourself) and of course dehydrated coconut milk. For more ideas go to packit gourmet.com.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> The Galley All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: