Grumpy

City/Region: Whidbey Is
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Kingfisher II
Photos: Kingfisher
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

I knew YOU would have them marked. Smile

We do the same on the RV and at the end of the year we pull them all out and give any that are nearing expiration date to the local food bank. We usually manage to "lose" the inventory so it's always a surprise.

One problem we do find with extended cruising is waste disposal so it's also a good idea to re-package many of the store bought items that are enclosed in boxes etc that are 3 times the size of the contents. There are lots of sizes and shapes of airtight re-usable containers.

We have some friends who use a lot of powdered REI rations but they always seem happy to visit us for supper.

Best trick we ever saw was a trawler in the Broughtons who used an old wooden dinghy on the deck as a Herb garden.

You might get some more ideas from Michale Modzelewski's book "Inside Passage". An interesting read with some well known PNW characters therin.

Also, I heard today that the UK is bringing back Squirrel Pie in an effort for decrease the Grey squirrel population which has overcome the native red squirrels.

Hope you are coming up this way again soon.

M

ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like dry ceral or oatmeal for breakfast with Rice dream. A milk substitute found in many grocery stores. Also almond milk. Yummy anf good for you. It can stay in a locker for weeks only needing cooling once opened. Canned salmon and tuna for sandwiches at lunch time. Lots of nuts and seeds for snacks. Dried fruit is very good and keeps well. Lots of rice dishes. I finally located a 12 volt slowcooker in a truck stop.
. Jon on gypsy river used one at Powell. Great smells came from his boat after a few hour run. I am going to use mine a lot. I like to carry carrots onions scallion to add into rice to make really good stew with or without meat. As we age I feel it is really good to watch many prepared store bought items for salt and soium content. Many of use don't need more I firmly believe that a crusing life style is among the healthiest going. Just don't load of on the preservatives in commercial stuff. Lots of fresh veggies and fruit do well in bins below the waterline. Don't forget good cheese and some favarite crackers. They keep well and go well with your sundowner in the cockpit. Smoked salmon travels well too. I am looking forward to this seasons food testing. George
Two Bears

City/Region: Orofino
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Two Bears
Photos: Two Bears
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We buy lean hamburger in quantity, cook it as a mush in a deep kettle so it comes out granular, we also add chopped onions. When cooked drain off the grease. Some is made into Spaghetti sauce. We have a 10 shelf (12x12”) food dehydrator and spread both the cooked hamburger and the sauce out in sheets. The sauce is poured onto a Teflon sheet, and turned when mostly dry. Both could be done in an oven set at a very low temperature and left until dried, but might need to be turned. When dried both the cooked hamburger and the sauce is crumbled and kept in zip locks bags. We store it in a spare refrigerator until needed for a trip and we’ve kept it at room temperature (and higher) on trips for two months without a problem. Either can be added to all kinds of dishes, all you need is hot water to re-constitute either of them.

Penny

Two Bears

City/Region: Orofino
State or Province: ID
Vessel Name: Two Bears
Photos: Two Bears
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Follow up to my wife's comments above,

If you Goggle Food dehydrator there are lots of options and prices from $50 to $250. As old back packers we gave up on "prepared" trail rations 30 years ago. They are always the wrong size, too salty and always very expensive. Spend your money on a dehydrator and make your own. As George pointed out, its a whole lot healthier. For example we buy several lugs of fruit in the fall and dry them and mix different kinds together. We put a batch in hot water as we go to bed and let them soak overnight. In the morning you can heat them or eat them cold. It really helps keep you regulated which can be a problem on a diet with too many starches.
Chuck
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I am on a low/no salt diet, so, although I intended this as a general topic--I had to laugh a bit on the amount of sodium in some of the recommendations.

We have never done the dehydration--and certainly is something we need to be looking into. Back when we were cruising, we did nots of bean sprout, and other similar green growths in stacked plastic containers as we crossed oceans.

Thanks for the suggestions and I will check out the dehydrators.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Montana Salty

City/Region: BITTERROOT VALLEY MONTANA
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: SALTY
Photos: Salty
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
I couldn't help putting in my two cents worth here. Craig and I have packed our horses into the Montana wilderness areas for over 25 years. That means traveling a week with no refrigeration and very little space. I learned how to dehydrate hamburger Like Two Bears only rinse it well after browning with very hot water. That removes all the grease, then spread on your dehydrator trays and dry until it looks like small rocks. It will last for weeks that way. Cabelas has really good dryers. The tortillas make great burritos with the re-hydrated meat. Or a huge pot of spaghetti. We took all the Hamburger Helpers with us on our trips repacking the box with the appropriate amount of hamburger granules, dry milk etc. Made for a wide variety of suppers for us. ( Sorry, some sodium) but no cans and only small amount of trash.....Pack it in Pack it out!
You can take frozen veggies like peas, green beans even broccoli right from the packages and dehydrate them too. Theses work best in some sort of one-pot dish.
I have even done frozen blueberries for yummy hotcakes. I look forward to my new challenges doing some meals aboard Salty this summer.

Julie

Lovin' Our C Dory!
C-Gypsy

City/Region: Oriental
State or Province: NC
Vessel Name: C-Gypsy
Photos: C-Gypsy
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrentB wrote:
now I am hungry Laughing

So am I, and I'm not even on a boat right now!

Scary, isn't it?
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am buying a food dehydrator too

On Tuesdays, City BBQ has ribs for $1.25 per bone. Yahoo! I think I will made a big salad tonight and pu a couple of bones tomorrow for lunch

retnavy

City/Region: Hampton Roads Virginia
State or Province: VA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a lot of dehydrated foods require a bunch of salt to allow for any type of preservation
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my favorite boat, one dish, meals comes in a package -- Bear Creek Soups. Easy, thick and tasty. I'm with Tom, I like potatoes, and so a potato covered with a thick soup, like a gravy makes a good meal. Not much of a meat eater, but my survival packs include jerky and peanut M&M's (oh oh, secrets out.) Costco has large packages of dehydrated mushrooms that reconstitute readily and add to almost anything.

It has been my practice for extended trips to use 2 coolers. One with everything in it frozen, and then add a chunk of dry ice, Keep that one closed and covered and it will last easy into next week. The first cooler has frozen stuff on the bottom, and then layered up from there. Limiting the number of times it is opened helps it's serviceability. I have recently started adding the outdoor remote from my digital on-board weather station into the cooler to monitor it's internal temp. Again, making sure it stays cold and the stuff is safe to use.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

BrentB

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am hungry again,

Great ideas and suggestions!

Keep posting them
BrentB

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am hungry again,

Great ideas and suggestions!

Keep posting them
Grumpy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engle makes a nice line of freezer/fridges running on 120 and 12 but they are a lot more expensive than a block of ice (unless you are in the Sahara).

For long trips we start out with it fon freeze setting and transfer stuff to the normal fridge as needed. Later you can turn it down to "cool" and save on power.

Very impressive set of test data supplied with it which accurately shows consumption figures for various temperatures/ settings etc.

It is also study enough (for most of us) to sit on Smile

M
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other problem with any of the freezer chests, is that they use power--more than many outboards can supply, especially on short runs. We have been using the Norcold Chest type freezer since the mid 70's.

One factor both on ice, and refers--is that in northern climes--where both the air temperature and water temperature is colder, ice lasts longer, and power requirement for electrical freezers is far less.

We do put wet towels over the ice chests when in desert areas, which helps preserve the ice.
Grumpy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

You are right. I tend to forget that I have two BF 135's running back there with big alternators and 300Ah of House batteries plus a Honda 2000i so I can usually keep up with the power draw.

Plus if you fill the freezer with already frozen food it works rather like ice blocks and doesn't need much power. The Engle is also mounted below the transom seat so it is out of the sunlight (when that happens) Today would not be a problem as we have no sun and 4" of snow with a lot more in the forecast.

M
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> The Galley All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: