The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Trim tabs and permatrim
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trims Tabs, Hydrofoils
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chica

City/Region: Butte
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Chica
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Trim tabs and permatrim Reply with quote

I have been reading the thread on trim tabs and hydrafoils and was considering adding a permatrim to my trim tabs. Is anyone running trim tabs and a permatrim and what is your experience after you have had a chance to evalutate the combination? Cavatation improved? Did you consider raising your main power unit to reduce drag once the peritrim was on? Does anyone have Da Nag's peradork?
Chica
Big Mac

City/Region: Chehalis
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Mary Ellen
Photos: Mary Ellen
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:39 pm    Post subject: Permatrims Reply with quote

Just a quick reply as I am about out head out the door. I installed Permatrims at the end of last boating season. I got the Mary Ellen wet for the first time early this month. I am very satisfied with the Permatrims, they work great with the twin 40hp Hondas. Just the slightest adjustment to the trim switches and the lateral trim is fixed for load adjustments. I have raised the engines up one notch and the bow attitude is great. It is the best $180.00 I every spent on the boat. The quality of the Permatrims is also top notch.
dogon dory

State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: DogOnDory
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Folks - Post Deleted By Author

Last edited by dogon dory on Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Mighty Bite

City/Region: Fairbanks, Alaska
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Mighty Bite
Photos: Mighty Bite
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chica, here's my short 2 cents worth on the Permatrim hydrofoil.

I am running a Johnson 90, 4 stroke w/ a Honda 9.9 kicker, and have Lenco 9"x 12" trim tabs and a Permatrim hydrofoil on a 2004 22' cruiser.

The trim tabs by themselves are ok when traveling light but under some loading conditions they are not sufficient to establish good bow attitude and it follows that if you can't do that your going to have trouble with lateral trim as well. I decided to add the Permatrim and it made a big difference in ease of establishing a good bow attitude. The combination of the Permatrim and the Lenco tabs works very well together. Both bow attitude and lateral trim are established and maintained with ease.

The boat simply handles and feels better with the Permatrim and
cavitation is minimized if not completely eliminated. I've found it to be an excellent addition to my CD.

I used the Sting Ray and 300SE Hydrofoils on past C-Dory's and really didn't care for either one. The Permatrim, I think, is well built, well designed and effective. Works for me!

Good luck and have fun!

Redƒox

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...whats a good source for buying a PermaTrim? (Hydrofoil)
C-WEED

City/Region: New Brockton
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: C-Weed
Photos: C-WEED
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres the link. Click USA link at the top right of the main page. That guy is the only distributor in the USA. They are made in New Zealand.

http://www.permatrimmarine.com/cont.shtml

Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually visited the guy - he lives in Bonita/Spring Valley near San Diego. Semi-geezerish RV'er/boater with Permatrim equipped boat dragged by a Dodge tractor. Turned to distributing when he retired from Real Work.

Very helpful and he follow the PermaDork thread here on C-Brat.

Don

Brat #483
"Jenny B" 2005 C-22/F75 sold, Oct. 2008
"C-Brat" 1993 C-16 angler/50 hp
Mighty Bite

City/Region: Fairbanks, Alaska
Vessel Name: Mighty Bite
Photos: Mighty Bite
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my Permatrim from John Jensen. Seems like a good 'ole boy, very helpful and good service. I'm sure it's the same guy Don (Sneaks) mentioned.

@ www.johnfjensen.com
or (619) 475-3633 (between the hrs of 8 and 6)
Chuck S

City/Region: Cleveland
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Amelia Anne
Photos: Amelia Anne
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what they look like on a Honda 50. Boat handles much better with the Permatrim than the SST hydrofoil.

-- Chuck
Redƒox

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow! thnx guys Thumbs Up them things are massive Smile I can see why there so effective Exclamation
C-WEED

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedFox: Page 2 in my album has a pick of the one that fits up thru 150 HP. Can't say how it works as I have not had it wet yet. The website says it uses the prop thrust that slings up off the blade tips for the lift. I have a theory that if your stern is down so is that big plate. When you build forward speed the water pressure going under the plate tries to lift the plate and raise the stern. Seems like it should work like a water ski.

They have a money back guarantee. Sales guy said he has never refunded any money. Mmmm. Wonder if that could be because of the ten holes in the vent plate? Thumbs Down
dogon dory

C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: DogOnDory
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Folks - Post Deleted By Author

Last edited by dogon dory on Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris-

The water striking the plate at an angle before the boat is on plane is the "kite effect" in aeronautical terms. It's what's mostly responsible for boosting the boat up onto a plane faster than w/o the plate. The devices probably get very little aerodynamic lift in their function, but work great to lift up the stern at low speeds, increase planing area, and seal off the prop from ventilation, particularly in turns. My $0.02!

Dan-
Good choice!

When Yammi's not available, take out Sister Suzi! Older Sister Hondi is looking a bit past her prime these days!!!

Sorry, but I'm sure I'm getting myself in trouble again, Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Chuck S

City/Region: Cleveland
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Amelia Anne
Photos: Amelia Anne
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know what the pair of holes are for on the trailing edge of the Permatrim?

The size of the critter was a shock, especially after the small size of the SST hydrofoil. The versions for the big motors must be even bigger!

On our single engine 16 Cruiser the SST caused the boat to corner in what I thought was a strange manner and the boat would often not recover from turns upright, keeping a heel to the same side as when in the turn. This being my first motorboat (after decades of sailboats) I wasn't sure this was natural. The Permatrim doesn't handle this way at all.

The 4 blade wheel was purchased as a "spare," the local Honda dealer sugggested I try it, but after trying it out I've not bothered putting the 3 blade back on and keep her as the spare. We run into shallow waters many times and a spare wheel is always on board.

I'm still looking at trim tabs for this lil' boat for lateral trim, but have yet to find anyone with a 16 footer and trim tabs. Hate to be a pioneer, they're the ones with all the arrows sticking out of them!

-- Chuck
C-WEED

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck, the holes in the back of the plate are for the paint booth guys. They hang them up when they do the nice powder coat finish.

I have to order a spare prop and will try the 4 blade Solas and carry the three as a spare as well. They claim a four blade should give a dab more lift and little smoother. But a slight decrease in WOT. I just can't seem to get enough lift. We always carry way too much stuff. My boat ends up being one big Swiss Army knife. Ready for anything.

I have read in several places that tabs have never hurt any boat. Only improve. And the bigger the better. Except in the following sea. If that is your concern. Maybe you could make a quick release pin to where the tab would fold up basically flat against the stern.

Just think, you will always be remembered as the first... My last name is CUSTER. I always get reminded of being LAST Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trims Tabs, Hydrofoils All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: