View previous topic :: View next topic  
C-Wolfe

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Wolfe
Photos: C-Wolfe
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:06 pm    Post subject: new fuel line Reply with quote

I am considering replacing my fuel line because, one,I believe they are original from 2006 and its probably due and 2nd my primer bulb don't work so good anymore.

1st, other than the hoses anything else I should replace? I have 2 Racor fuel filter/water separator that have the supplied plug (metal) install in the unused port that is now all rusted. Should the filter head be replace periodically? I'm guessing I will anyway but I'm wondering if this is something that should be replace more frequently then every 15 years.

2nd I'm thinking of installing a quick disconnect at the filters spare inlet so I can use a portable fuel tank and have it go thru the filter and another one at the 2nd outlet for the kicker. anybody see any issue with this setup? I do like the honda round quick disconnect , they should be easier to keep fully cover when not in use and they have been the cleanest that I have used. I do have a 3 way selector valve that probably should be in the off position while using the portable fuel tank.

sparkle; Ericson 25 CB 2008-2012
Sculpin; Drascombe Drifter 2005-2008
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: new fuel line Reply with quote

C-Wolfe wrote:
I am considering replacing my fuel line because, one,I believe they are original from 2006 and its probably due and 2nd my primer bulb don't work so good anymore.

1st, other than the hoses anything else I should replace? ...

I had to replace the fuel fill hoses on my '08 cruiser. One failed at the first bend below the fill. Since one failed I figured it was best to replace them both. I noticed that the original hoses were longer than necessary resulting in sharper bends when installed. The filler hose makes an "S" bend to get to the tank. Shortening the hose a couple of inches made the bends less sharp.

So far I haven't had any issues with the other hoses.
C-Wolfe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: new fuel line Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
C-Wolfe wrote:

I had to replace the fuel fill hoses on my '08 cruiser. One failed at the first bend below the fill. Since one failed I figured it was best to replace them both. I noticed that the original hoses were longer than necessary resulting in sharper bends when installed. The filler hose makes an "S" bend to get to the tank. Shortening the hose a couple of inches made the bends less sharp.

Thanks Ssobol, My fill hose appear to be in good condition with no sharp bend so I was thinking of leaving those alone for now. I did not give a close inspection to the vent hose yet.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
2nd I'm thinking of installing a quick disconnect at the filters spare inlet so I can use a portable fuel tank and have it go thru the filter and another one at the 2nd outlet for the kicker. anybody see any issue with this setup? I do like the honda round quick disconnect , they should be easier to keep fully cover when not in use and they have been the cleanest that I have used. I do have a 3 way selector valve that probably should be in the off position while using the portable fuel tank.

On the 25 "Thataway" there is a Honda outboard disconnect coupling but it is outside of the splash well. It is plumbed to the second "out" port of the Racor filter and has its own primer bulb. The 4th port would be an "in" to the Racor, and does not go thru the filter.
There is a shut off valve for the main fuel tank, when using the auxiliary port.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
ssobol

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: new fuel line Reply with quote

C-Wolfe wrote:
ssobol wrote:
C-Wolfe wrote:

Thanks Ssobol, My fill hose appear to be in good condition with no sharp bend so I was thinking of leaving those alone for now. I did not give a close inspection to the vent hose yet.

Yeah, I thought my fill hoses were in good condition until one day when filling up I found gasoline running into the cockpit from under the gunwale. Because of the cable run on the starboard side (on CD-22s) the starboard side fill hose is difficult to inspect.
C-Wolfe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok,ok, I'll look into the fill hose also. I guest it's not that long of a hose to be replace anyway.
Thanks for your input, appreciate it
kevinnuckles@icloud.com

City/Region: Yorktown
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2010
Vessel Name: SEA STAR
Photos: SEA STAR
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:55 pm    Post subject: REPLACING FUEL LINES Reply with quote

I HAVE AN 2010 22 CRUISER. BASED ON MY EXPERIENCE THIS SUMMER, I WOULD STRONGLY SUGGEST REPLACING THE FUEL TANK PICKUPS AND ANTI-SIPHON VALVES. THEY BOTH DEGRADE AND CAN LEAVE YOU STRANDED.
kevinnuckles@icloud.com

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:58 pm    Post subject: REPLACING FUEL LINES Reply with quote

I ALSO HAD A COLLAPSED FUEL VENT HOSE ON THE STARBOARD TANK. IT WOULD BE WORTH A LOOK WHILE YOU HAVE THE TANK COVERS REMOVED. THERE ARE PICTURES IN MY ALBUM.
C-Wolfe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:14 pm    Post subject: permatech aviation #3 Reply with quote

I will also be replacing the fuel filter/water separator and a few fitting as part of this project, Permatech aviation form a gasket #3 appear to be the best gasoline resistant sealer I could find. I use a lot of pipe thread sealant at work but this look quite different then what I am use too. Will this be use in the same manner? Is this the best product to use or should I try something different?

ssobol

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: permatech aviation #3 Reply with quote

C-Wolfe wrote:
I will also be replacing the fuel filter/water separator and a few fitting as part of this project, Permatech aviation form a gasket #3 appear to be the best gasoline resistant sealer I could find. I use a lot of pipe thread sealant at work but this look quite different then what I am use too. Will this be use in the same manner? Is this the best product to use or should I try something different?

If you're talking about the Racor unit between the tank and the engine, don't worry about it. It seals up so well you're going to have a hard time getting it apart again. Last time I tried to change the filter in mine I just bought a whole new one, it was easier.
C-Wolfe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: permatech aviation #3 Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
C-Wolfe wrote:

If you're talking about the Racor unit between the tank and the engine, don't worry about it. It seals up so well you're going to have a hard time getting it apart again. Last time I tried to change the filter in mine I just bought a whole new one, it was easier.

Thanks Ssobol, but I'm replacing the whole Racor unit and be installing new fitting and needing to seal the thread. I'm wondering if that is a good product for this application.
As for the bowl and filter cartridge, they have a rubber seal and you are right about not needing anything else and not being overly tight during install. I do normally try to lubricate them and never had issue for removal. Thanks
kevinnuckles@icloud.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:44 pm    Post subject: sealant Reply with quote

YES, THAT IS WHAT MY HONDA DEALER USES, APPLIED LIBERALLY, AS IN, FILL THE BRUSH AND TOUCH THE FITTING. AS THE SEALANT BEGINS TO DROP AWAY FROM THE FITTING, ROTATE THE FITTING SO AS TO CATCH THE RIBBON
OF SEALANT.
C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my first CD 22 - a 2002 Cruiser, had kept having trouble keeping the engines running at idle. I removed the tanks and cleaned them out, then looked at the fuel lines- terrible shape. I pulled all of the fuel lines out and they darn near fell apart. I replaced the fuel lines with marine grade lines and installed the tanks. The engines ran great after that. The factory fuel lines were sucking air.
KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy
ssilver

City/Region: Albany NY
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Pearly Shell
Photos: Pearly Shell
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: REPLACING FUEL LINES Reply with quote

kevinnuckles@icloud.com wrote:
I HAVE AN 2010 22 CRUISER. BASED ON MY EXPERIENCE THIS SUMMER, I WOULD STRONGLY SUGGEST REPLACING THE FUEL TANK PICKUPS AND ANTI-SIPHON VALVES. THEY BOTH DEGRADE AND CAN LEAVE YOU STRANDED.

Whats involved with replacing the tank pickups. I replaced all my fuel lines and fill up hoses last year now you have me thinking. Ours is a 2004 22 probably the same setup as yours. Thanks Sean
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kevinnuckles@icloud.com

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:38 pm    Post subject: REPLACING FUEL PICK UPS Reply with quote

MY BOAT HAS MOELLER FUEL TANKS. YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO FIND AN ID TAG ON EACH TANK ON THE SIDE FACING THE BILGE.

YOU CAN LOOK AT THE FUEL PICK UP OPTIONS ON THE MOELLER WEB-SITE.
THE ORIGINAL PICKUPS WERE RIGID AND AND DISENTEGRATED. THE IDEA WITH THE RIGID IS THAT THEY STOP A FEW INCHES ABOVE THE TRASH AND SLUDGE THAT MAY ACCUMULATE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE TANK. YOU WILL ALSO SEE A FLEXIBLE PICKUP, WHICH EXTENDS TO THE BOTTOM OF THE TANK. I THINK EITHER WAY YOU DECIDE TO GO, EXPECT TO CHECK OR REPLACE THEM IN 5 YEARS TO BE ON THE SAFE SIDE.

YOU WILL ALSO WANT TO REPLACE THE ANTI-SIPHON VALVES. THEY SCREW INTO THE TOP OF THE TANK (WITH THE APPROPRIATE SEALANT). THE PICKUPS
ATTACH TO THEM INSIDE THE TANK, AND YOUR FUEL LINES WILL ATTACH TO THEM ON THE OUTSIDE, BE SURE TO DOUBLE CLAMP ALL HOSES.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fuel Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: