The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Prop for a CD 22 Cruiser

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevrangray

City/Region: Shingletown
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Chief
Photos: C-Chief
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:59 am    Post subject: Prop for a CD 22 Cruiser Reply with quote

I'm having to replace the prop on my C-Dory and was just curious if there was a more preferred prop that others have gone with instead of replacing with the exact same prop that I'm taking off. I mainly use it in fresh water but will be putting in salt water eventually.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated,

Kevin

My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it. ~Koos Brandt
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

two day and 50 views but no post... I will take a whack at it.

If you liked the prop you had and it delivered the correct rpm range at wot for your motor at the normal weight load you run your boat then you should stick with that prop and pitch. If how every you are not getting the right rpm at wot then you can go up or down in pitch to correct that.

Do a search for prop on the site and you will find a ton of info on prop pitch and the old 3 vs 4 blades as well as alum vs stainless steel.

For my money I like a SS four blade in the right pitch.

kevrangray

City/Region: Shingletown
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: C-Chief
Photos: C-Chief
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much. I checked on one at a prop shop here locally in Redding, California and for the same set up it runs 99.00 for a used one that is in excellent shape. Just a quick question for you, when RPM is usually the best to maintain for fuel economy?

Thanks much,

Kevin
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin-

A 15 inch pitch 4-blade Solas prop is usually an excellent choice for a CD-22 Cruiser with a Honda 90, some variable loading, and some occasional higher altitude use, such as 3,000-6,000 feet.

The lower pitch (as compared to a 17 inch prop) plus the extra grip from the extra blade gives you better acceleration out of the hole . Also, 4 blades vibrate less at low rpm than 3 blades, like at less than 1000 rpm where you can "feel" the blades turn.

The trade -offs are that the lower pitch plus the extra drag from the extra blade limits the top end and will give you slightly less mph.

A 4 blade stainless prop will cost $500-$600 retail, whereas the aluminum equivalent $130 & up.

If you go up to a lake like Eagle Lake, at 5100+ feet, you'll also appreciate having dropped down two inches in pitch, as the boat will appear to lose less HP, acceleration and top end.

See if a dealer in the Redding area will let you try out a new prop with the provision to buy or swap it out after a trial run. Phil's Propeller may even have a used prop or two you can trial run with.

Good Luck!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rpm to mph to mpg is a hard question because it depends on so much. but long story short my 22 with 90 got the best milage at 4200 Rpm on calm to small chop. It just depends on how you have the boat loaded and trimed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: