City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sam,

One more option: you can rent a life raft. When we flew our own plane to the Bahamas one Christmas years back, we stopped in Florida for fuel and picked up a rental life raft for the trip.

As often as not, we have been able to find a place to get to shore with the boat... but the times where the shore is rocky and there are no docks means the need for some sort of dinghy. We enjoy the heck out of our kayaks, but when the waves are rockin', it's easier (and drier) to get in and out of our RU260. When you need to carry groceries or laundry, yep, the dinghy would be my choice. I completely agree that the RU260 rows like a leaf in the wind. The 2.5 hp motor makes that more functional.

Seems to me that you could make the kayaks work and add a rental life raft for that worst case scenerio.

Good luck with the plans.

Best wishes,
Jim B.

Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr Bob, thanks for correcting me on the CO2. I had no idea that it would be that small/light and affordable. Definitely a better option that the old steel 72 CU dive tank.
berryst

City/Region: Kingston
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Margaret Ann
Photos: Sea Major
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an avon style raft.

It will be inflated on top. If the boat goes down in bad weather a raft pops off the top and into the water. Even in big wind the raft can be launched. You can still get in even if it lands upside down. They are virtually unsinkable.

I would move the radar.

All of that said a kayak is fun and will work most of the time...mine did . The likely hood of catastrophic c-dory failure is unlikely.

Chris

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam,

I have looked at that MOM 600 too and it does have some plusses. I agree that the kayaks are more fun, more efficient for controlled directional travel and that the inflatable will carry more groceries. The Portland Pudgy that Gregg has is, or can be, a certified life boat and is better than an inflatable, and will carry more pay load that the inflatable or kayaks, and will be virtually indestructible and unsinkable. The inflatable will be easier to access from the boat and from some of the Alaskan docks, but being careful in picking when and where you are leaving the C-Dory, the kayaks will be more efficient and more pleasurable. Having the MOM 600 for use later is a pretty good idea, and it is not a large package. I would be sorely tempted to take it to Alaska and hope you never need it.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others have noted, you don't need a raft and have provided countless examples as to why. And they are right, you don't need one, that is until you do.....And when you do, it is going to be pretty nice jumping into your inflatable and not sinking with your C-Dory.

Do I think this will happen? I highly doubt it, but I have one on top on mine for the log I didn't see, or the rock that isn't on the charts. The odds are pretty slim I know, but it does happen and I would rather have it to crawl into then wish I had it to crawl into. It is kind of like health insurance, one really doesn't need it when you are healthy. But when you get sick, it is really nice to have.....
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my 2 cent. I have to agree with T.R. its better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it.

I think to most that the choice is a cost issue, it is for me. but from both your addresses that is probably not a issue. For every day use a kayak or a dinghy is great. we have used both and I far prefer going to shore with the dog in a dinghy but the wife likes a kayak for looking around. I would not be making a choice between a life raft and a means to go to shore. These are two different question. If or when we make the trip up north or we can afford a small life raft like the MOS then we will buy one for the day that we may need it.

after watching the video of the MOS I think its a great idea for the c-dory. Nice and small in a self inflating unit. I would add a life line to it and make it a throw-able with a hand loop. I would also think about tying it, or tying in line to it, your ditch bags. if the sh$t does hit the fan you really want to be able to pick up the bag and walk off the back of the boat with out anything else. No looking for stuff, just get the one bag and go. Now am I set up that way right now? no but I would like to be.

One other bit of advice. After you decide what you want, take your boat to the lake and walk off the back with your ditch bag and raft to see what will happen and if you are able to get in the raft from the water. In a emergency you WILL react the way you were trained. This includes no training. No training no action. This is why when people shoot at Marines (and other military) they take cover and then look to see where the shooting is coming from then act to suppress it. As were most civilians (no fault of their own) stand still and just look around to see what that noise is while the shooter take aim again. Once the civilian understands that they are being shoot at half will just stand there screaming. Train your self to act.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Boating Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: