The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Starboard block for D S transducer and Cable Clam for cable
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,
The problem is that very few things (including 5200) bond well to Starboard. So the answer is "no" --you can bolt the starboard to the aluminum, and seal with 5200--with the undercuts, but I would not relie on the 5200 along.

Ferrett 30, nice job!

Regards,

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
CaptainChris

City/Region: Dallas
State or Province: TX
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will give you the technical data for 3M 5200 lap shear for reference. Adhereing polyethylene with anything is miserable and here is why the folks at Starboard™ do not recommend adhering "poly" with 5200, or anything else for that matter.
http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?66666UuZjcFSLXTtlx&EO8TVEVuQEcuZgVs6EVs6E666666--
Safe boating...
thataway

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are products which will allow bonding with Starboard and Starboard plus other materials. There are two products which can be used for adhering King Starboard--and similar Polyethylene and Polyproplene products:
3M Scotch-Weld DP8005 Acrylic Adhesive and Lord Corp #7540-AB. It is best to prep the starboard either by rough abrasion or flame treating the surface. The aluminum needs to be cleaned, and then an epoxy based primer to prevent further corosion. Search on either of these products will give what results have been obtained and the useage.

I prefer to use screws, plus a bonding agent. Some have reported very good bonds with the adhesive alone.
ferret30

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Lily Pad
Photos: Lily Pad
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would these adhesives work for holding the starboard to gelcoat? If I have any problems with my setup I'd consider trying an adhesive only (no screws) approach to holding the block.
Tug

City/Region: Sault Ste. Marie
State or Province: ON
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Drifter
Photos: Drifter
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like from the picture of the CableClam and with longer screws you could ...use the gasket to mark and drill your holes....place the gasket + top section of the CableClam on the outside of the transom .....and than place the bottom part of the CableClam on the inside of the transom.
Just may be a better method if i used the Cable Clam on my boats roof where it is only about 1/4 inches thick..but i do not know if this would work or is recommended.. Tug
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ferret30 wrote:
I'd consider trying an adhesive only (no screws) approach to holding the block.

I've just cut a Starboard™ block for my transom (removed the transducers, which were directly transom mounted, and will be repairing the disused holes before re-mounting them on the Starboard™ block) and I plan to mount it with four Weld Mount studs (they use methacrylate adhesive). I don't think the forces involved will overwhelm the gelcoat - at least I think I have a reasonable enough chance of success that I'm going to try it that way (of course one could also remove the gelcoat down to the glass if they wanted to).

Another option, perhaps.

Sunbeam Hot
thataway

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tug,
I have used Cable Clams on the roof. Use shorter screws. Measure what you need.
Grazer

City/Region: Yukon
State or Province: YT
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: C-Horse
Photos: Grazer
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent topic, photographs and descriptions of project. I am in the process of doing my own starboard transducer mounting block. I have two pieces of 1/2 inch thick which I want to bond together for a 1 inch thick starboard. Bob, it looks like you bonded two pieces together. What did you use for adhesive? Did you undercut both sides? Does one have to reapply gelcoat to areas of the hull exterior not covered by a starboard replacement like this in order to maintain a water barrier?
Thanks,
Grazer
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grazer wrote:
Excellent topic, photographs and descriptions of project. I am in the process of doing my own starboard transducer mounting block. I have two pieces of 1/2 inch thick which I want to bond together for a 1 inch thick starboard. Bob, it looks like you bonded two pieces together. What did you use for adhesive? Did you undercut both sides? Does one have to reapply gelcoat to areas of the hull exterior not covered by a starboard replacement like this in order to maintain a water barrier?
Thanks,
Grazer

It's very difficult to get a good "bond" between two pieces of starboard although there are some special adhesives for starboard that might work. However, simply screwing through two pieces is adequate for the purpose. As for reapplying gelcoat... I'm not sure to what area you are referring. If, you're talking about holes that you have re-filled with epoxy, depending on what kind of epoxy you have used, there's generally no need (other than cosmetic) to gel coat over the top of that.

thataway

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Roger, yes, I have used two pieces of 1/2" starboard. Just screwing thru them is adequate. The hole which the screw goes into has been potted with epoxy, thus no possible leakage into the hull. Undercut the layer of Starboard which is next to the hull, to get reasonable adhesion of the 5200 or similar adhesive/caulk.
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may not apply, but just know that epoxy will deteriorate if exposed to UV (sunlight), so in that case you might want to gelcoat or paint over it (I realize you may not end up with any exposed to light in this case).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: