The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Rub Rail Replacement - Suproflex

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pearl

City/Region: Riverdale
State or Province: ND
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Prop'r Cson
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:40 am    Post subject: Rub Rail Replacement - Suproflex Reply with quote

I have a 2007 25 Cruiser and I am planning on changing the rub rail as the aluminum rail is beat up on both sides. Talking with Taco Marine they have suggested one of their newer products called Suproflex kit number V11-9960. They said it comes in a coil and is a vast improvement on the old aluminum sticks and goes on a lot easier. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks
Home Port: Pick City, ND
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Rub Rail Replacement - Suproflex Reply with quote

Pearl wrote:
I have a 2007 25 Cruiser and I am planning on changing the rub rail as the aluminum rail is beat up on both sides. Talking with Taco Marine they have suggested one of their newer products called Suproflex kit number V11-9960. They said it comes in a coil and is a vast improvement on the old aluminum sticks and goes on a lot easier. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

The way I read it is that this product is just vinyl. Maybe two hardnesses, but all plastic. This is different from the usual setup with a metal track holding a vinyl or plastic insert. This might make it easier to install but maybe less durable. FWIW, my rub rail on one side could use a replacement but it is a big job and I haven't been motivated enough to do it yet.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Journey On, the rub rail is aluminum with a plastic insert. That said, the aluminum is pop riveted on to the boat at the deck/hull joint when it left the factory. So, it not only attaches the aluminum part of the rub rail but also secures the bottom and top of the boat in some part.

Originally, the factory used pop rivets which have corroded away, and I've replaced them with 1/4" bolts and lock nuts. I used sheet metal screws where I couldn't get to the rear of the joint. It was a bear of a job.

I don't know how the new rub rail attaches, but does it bolt on? Are you up to removing the pop rivets or does your boat have bolts? It can't be a direct replacement?

Boris
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

journey on wrote:
On Journey On, the rub rail is aluminum with a plastic insert. That said, the aluminum is pop riveted on to the boat at the deck/hull joint when it left the factory. So, it not only attaches the aluminum part of the rub rail but also secures the bottom and top of the boat in some part.

Originally, the factory used pop rivets which have corroded away, and I've replaced them with 1/4" bolts and lock nuts. I used sheet metal screws where I couldn't get to the rear of the joint. It was a bear of a job.

I don't know how the new rub rail attaches, but does it bolt on? Are you up to removing the pop rivets or does your boat have bolts? It can't be a direct replacement?

Boris

On my 25 the Joint is glassed together, the pop rivets only attach the Rub Rail Thumbs Up
Pearl

City/Region: Riverdale
State or Province: ND
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Prop'r Cson
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent point Boris on the securing the bottom and top of the boat in some part. The aluminum rail is riveted and a few of them have broken causing the rail to loosen. I was hoping Taco Marine would have the aluminum rail in 14' but they only supply 12'. Guess I will being installing three sections of rail instead of two. Researching C-Brats I plan on going with Aluminum Rail A12-0303BYL12 and Insert V12-0303BKA70-1
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tsturm,

My point was that those rivets go through the joint where the deck and hull join, not through some fiberglass sheet.. Certainly, our boats have a bond with glass and the pop rivets. If you remove the rivets you not only have holes but a weaker joint. That's why I used bolts and sheet metal screws instead of new pop rivets. Also I used a plastic washer under the bolt head to separate stainless and aluminum. You may differ, your choice.

Those aluminum rails have absorbed a lot of abuse and have a few flat spots that I haven't hammered out. And, BTW, my aluminum rail had started to corrode internally so I drilled small weep holes at the aft bottom of the rails.
Boris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: