The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Water intrusion into balsa core
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snider

City/Region: Charleston
State or Province: SC
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kestrel Dawn
Photos: Kestrel Dawn
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks Bob, I'll do that.

Capt Meares, good points. I drilled the holes all the way through to the outer fiberglass skin. If by mid week after the dehumidifier has been running and intermittent blow drying I still find moisture I'll just cut the top skin off and tackle it that way. Ultimately I just want it bullet proof.

Ssobol, You know there wasn't much abrasion on the bottom of the tanks. There was some along the edges though. It was hard to tell the cause, it could have been where they hit it with something right after manufacture to get the rough edges off. That's what I suspect. So you may be right, there may not be a problem there. I was hoping a little rubber between the tank and floor might help from dirt and stuff getting under there. I was planning to cut a piece of that rubber and drop it in a bucket of gasoline to see if it would hold up. Even if it does I may just skip that step and chalk up the lost $30 to a bad idea.

Snider

City/Region: Charleston
State or Province: SC
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: Kestrel Dawn
Photos: Kestrel Dawn
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Done for the day Reply with quote

Finished up with the cockpit repair yesterday. All in all it was a pretty quick and easy fix just working about 4 mornings while the kids where in school. It could probably be done in a long day if you didn't have to wait for epoxy to cure. Thanks for the help here, now on to the lazarette hatches. Very Happy

Salmon Fisher

City/Region: Arlington
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kim Christine
Photos: Kim Christine
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am about to embark on the same project that Snider did.

I am going to use this West Systems kit:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JGJ84Y4/?coliid=I2BGZL3BVJX304&colid=24ZP1NCZUXWGL&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

My question is can I use the 206 hardener if temperatures are below 60 degrees F? I looked at West's chart and they say the minimum temp is 60. I could use the 205 hardener, since it has a minimum temp of 40.

Right now, our temps during the day are 45-55 and at night can get to the high 30s.
I just want to have enough working time since this is my first go at fixing core issues around the fuel tanks and redoing the core around the fuel fills. I will also tackle all the other deck penetrations, too. The hatch leaks around the perimeter so gotta do that one, too.

Any suggestions are welcome.

2004 25 Cruiser-Present

2000 22 Cruiser 2009-2014 (Sold)
2006 25 Cruiser 2014-2019 (Sold)
1985 22 Classic -2019 (Sold)
1991 19 Arima Sea Ranger-2019-2021 (Sold)
2015 27 Ranger Tug-2019-2023 (Sold)
1987 22 Cruiser -2021-2023 (Sold)

Honey, this REALLY will be my last boat, honest!
Brewkid

City/Region: Whidbey Is
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SCALLYWAG
Photos: Scallywag
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick,

Note page 9. I use 205 for our temps in Washington.

https://www.westsystem.com/wp-content/uploads/User-Manual-2015.pdf

One more thing. West Marine will price match amazon, just an fyi.

R/

John
Scallywag
Salmon Fisher

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kim Christine
Photos: Kim Christine
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info John.

West Marine in-store purchases will match Amazon? That's great.

How's your project going?
Brewkid

City/Region: Whidbey Is
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SCALLYWAG
Photos: Scallywag
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick,

Glad I could help pass the word. I'm sure Everett is probably your closest trip to West Marine, I however had used Anacortes without issue for my purchases. I had all of the pages for the products I wanted to purchase ready to go at the register and it was a no issue process there.

For anyone looking to purchase there here is the policy. https://www.westmarine.com/CustomerService/Price-Policy

As to my progress, I've been on the road since early January but will be home soon. Right before I left, I pulled all the deck hardware, drilled and filled the holes since I wanted to not have the balsa coring put in in the middle of winter. I also ordered the aft laz hatches, they arrived the day I left, but my wife did a video call and test fit them for me and they look to fit perfect.

I have a little road block it seams now though.... When I finish this message I'll be sending out a blanket message to all distributors and to the C-Dory factor itself. It seams that there is a shortage of Balsa... Carbon Core, the company that I was lined up to purchase balsa from advised me that they didn't know if or when they would receive stock again and since I'm looking for 1.5" my chances were slim... Not what I'm wanting to hear. Evil or Very Mad
So if anyone has a verified source, I'm all ears!!!

Best of luck on your work and the upcoming fishing season (assuming we get one!)

R/
John
Scallywag
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: