The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Can anyone recommend a good Fuel Line Bulb?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
C-Monkey

City/Region: Saint Clair Shores
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-monkey
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Can anyone recommend a good Fuel Line Bulb? Reply with quote

Seems looking at them online most get pretty poor reviews. I'd like to get a halfway decent bulb to replace my hoses. For whatever reason, this year both hoses and bulb seem to be disintegrating....leave a black residue on my hands when handled. Looking for 3/8 prong on both sides.
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just replaced the bulbs on both my main (Yamaha) and kicker (Honda). In the past, in general, I've always found "OEM" or Genuine rubber products to be superior to others (not specific to Yamaha or Honda). I don't know why this should be, or if it applies to all brands, but I've seen it enough that it's one area where I for sure buy "genuine" or OEM parts vs. aftermarket.

Also, they now make fuel line that is somehow lined so as to resist ethanol. Trident is one company that makes a couple of varieties.

So anyway, what I did was order the Genuine Honda and Yamaha parts (they call the whole thing a "fuel pipe," btw). On the Yamaha, I replaced the fuel line with two different types of Trident hose I had on hand for the rest of the boat (both "lined" types). On the Honda I kept the OEM hose that came with the fuel pipe, because it was really supple and I want that line to bend well; not sure if I'll end up needing to replace it later with the "lined" hose.

Sunbeam

PS: This is probably more than you wanted to know, but the reason I used two different types of Trident hose on the Yamaha line: I bought a type Trident makes that is meant for outboards that is grey in color. For a given ID it's got a smallish OD (all my fuel hose is 5/16" ID). On the other hand, it doesn't have the best bend radius. The second type is black, is larger OD, and has a better bend radius. I used the grey/thinner one to replace the line from the bulb to the fuel filter that is inside the motor cowling, because the larger OD line would not fit along the pathway inside the engine cowling. I used the larger OD hose from the bulb to the Racor filter (and the rest of the fuel supply system) because it has a better bend radius, plus seems more rugged. They are both supposed to be more ethanol resistant than the average hose. I'll look up the hose numbers and post them (but may be after my 30 minute limit).

Edit: The light grey (smaller OD) hose is Trident #305. The black hose (larger OD) is Trident #365.
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also pay a little more for OEM fuel lines. The rubber and plastic ends seem to be higher quality, and its a piece of mind thing.

I just recently ordered a spare OEM line from Defender.com, and was very happy with the product received and price.
Bill K

City/Region: Toledo
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: NIC'L PIC'L
Photos: NIC'L PIC'L
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, My boat had some grey fuel line on the kicker engine when I bought it this spring.

I went to move the kicker fuel tank and that grey line snapped in two.
Yes it was cold outside but the black hose on the big engine had no problem.

Bill Kelleher

BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury race tram uses OMC/Bombardier.

http://shop.evinrude.com/product/0/5008586/_/EPA_Primer_Bulb_Assembly_38%22_-_5008586

less than $25 ebay

I cant find it but somewhere there is cut away pic of bulbs showing the OMC is better

I use Yamaha now but plan to switch to OMC when replacing

rogerar

City/Region: SW FL
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Duck
Photos: Duck
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes-OMC has been my and many mechanics' choice for a long time, they can handle the Florida sun without problems. I always carry a spare of course!
Roger
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was OMC parts that first started me on the "rubber parts have to be genuine or OEM" philosophy. So although I've found it to also hold true with other brands (and car parts, etc.), it all started with OMC Very Happy

('course I just bought a Yamaha brand and Honda brand bulb for my main and kicker, respectively. I actually didn't think of buying another "OEM" brand. But I guess I could have. Next time!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fuel Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: