The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

graywater/blackwater dumping in RV Park
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Wastewater Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
C-Time

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: C-Time
Photos: C-Time
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: graywater/blackwater dumping in RV Park Reply with quote

Still looking for the best way to use boats Macerator pump in a RV dump site. Dump site not a marine pump-out. Has anyone made a fitting to screw into the deck outlet vs holding a hose with gasket tight to the side overboard outlet of boat while a second person turns on the pump.
My IRA

City/Region: Springfield
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2013
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Aidiam
Photos: My IRA
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ernie,

I have not seen nor heard of any adaptor that would couple to a through-hull fitting and attach to a portable holding tank. Hopefully someone will offer some help for using the drains wile camping on land.

How do you like the boat? I haven't heard from you in some time, hope all is well with you and your family.

1992 C-Dory 22 Cruiser sold 8/96
1992 OLympic 26XLF Sold 10/2000
1989 Arima 19 SR sold 2003
2004 C-Dory 25 sold 10/05
1992 Bounty 25 Offshore Pilot sold 6/2010
2006 Arima 17 SC sold 9/2012
2013 C-Dory 23 Venture
mmitchell

City/Region: Whittier
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: ShiRoz
Photos: ShiRoz
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suction cup?
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried making a hose connection that lead to a standard RV sewer connection (photo in our album)... no joy. Let's just say the macerator output has a lot of force. The only solution we've come up with isn't great: one person holds the standard RV sewer hose over the macerator outlet with the other end of the hose in the sewer connection, while the other person flips the switch. The BIG downside of this is the clean-up and storage of the sewer hose. RVs will dump their black tank first, then dump the gray tank to help flush out the sewer hose. If additional rising is necessary, you can use the city water connection. RVs also have a place to store a sewer hose; you'd have to have a RubberMade bin or something similar to keep the sewer hose, and then the space to keep that for the occasional use. Also, RVs have the sewer outlet on the driver's (port) side, our C-Dory has the macerator outlet on the starboard side.

Also, I am not aware of any commercial RV parks that will tolerate dumping of gray water on the ground. I also made a hose connection for the sink, but find it easier to just put a dishpan in the sink of the boat and dump it in the sewer outlet of the campground. No way to deal with the showerbox output, either - we use the campground's showers.

We just make it a point to put Wild Blue in the water often enough while land traveling to make use of a marina pump-out. Oh, and use the campground bathrooms as much as possible when on land.

Some things about our boats don't easily equate to an RV. We've been able to work around this, though... with over 35,000 towed miles on the boat. We do stay at RV parks when we are traveling with the boat.

In spite of them being referred to as "boaterhomes," there are some shortcomings when on land. Don't get me wrong, it is GREAT when we are on the water, and most "RVs" don't float! Wink

Best wishes,
Jim B.

Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't want to be the person holding the hose against the discharge port. Not even pretty to think about.

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51
rickw

City/Region: Coupeville, WA (Whidbey Island)
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Cara Na Mara
Photos: Cara Na Mara
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is actually a step by step instructional video that demonstrates all that can go wrong during this process. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lJlEzPzhKc

Rick
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I grew up on a ranch and shoveled a lot of poop. abd raised 4 kids and the early years were mess. So I'm not too finicky about dumping the holding tank through a hose, and I'm the one holding the hose.

I got an elbow with a rubber flange that covers the macerator output, and the other end fits into a standard RV hose. I jam one end in the sewer, the other end over the macerator, Judy turns on the switch and in about a minute, it's all over. Hose down the side of the boat, flush the hose, put it a plastic bag (contractor thickness,) throw it into the back of the truck and you're done.

As for the sink, fit a PVC fitting into the overboard outlet (file and cut,) fasten a garden hose to the end (they make adapters), run the other end into a 5 gal plastic tank and use the sink. Remember to remove the hose and empty the tank, once I forgot.

In 6 years we have had no complaints, but a lotta atta boys.

Boris
SouthLake

City/Region: Celina
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2008
Photos: Get~Aweigh
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never stayed in an RV park but this would be one other reason why the AirHead makes sense. I just emptied ours at the end of season. No muss no fuss. Gray water seems easier to deal with.
www.GetAweigh.com
email: TheMarcums@GetAweigh.COM
sportner

City/Region: Buckeye
C-Dory Model: 26 Osprey
Vessel Name: Glory Days
Photos: Traveler
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We manage this unpleasant procedure as a team. Toni's job is to turn the macerator on and off. Mine is to hold the short dump hose over the discharge hole on the boat. I also have a bucket with water and a small amount of bleach under the fitting to catch drips and to do a final rinse on the hose. After dumping I rinse the hose with fresh water then immerse the hose in the bucket.

Toni's other job is documenting the procedure.

C-Time

City/Region: Gig Harbor
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: C-Time
Photos: C-Time
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:27 pm    Post subject: Thank you brats Reply with quote

This site is the best. When there is a question, everyone helps with the answer. Thank you all.
Dory-Ling

State or Province: AK
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:41 pm    Post subject: grey water dumping Reply with quote

sometimes I have to laugh, even though that's not humor coming out of that line.

We are currently changing the thru hull fitting (poop dump fitting)to one with threads on the outside! It will accept 2 inch hose and is real easy to use.
Under the trailer, attached to the inside frame of the trailer is 10 ft of pvc which holds the hose, just like an RV. Cept, mine gets rinsed each time the boat gets launched!
Wink
Martin
Nan-C

City/Region: Oakland
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: Nan-C
Photos: Nan-C
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I typically go with the most expensive solution ... in this case, an Edson manual pump that I believe I paid about $650 for. Works great. A few pumps and the C-Dory tank is empty. Flushing the tank flushes the hose. Very neat, very clean. Connects to the boat with the same Banjo fitting on most pump-outs ... but with the screw-on connection. We do not need it since we do not trailer anymore, so I would sell it.

In defense of my spending, in this case, we did not have a macerator.

Greg
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: grey water dumping Reply with quote

Dory-Ling wrote:
sometimes I have to laugh, even though that's not humor coming out of that line.

We are currently changing the thru hull fitting (poop dump fitting)to one with threads on the outside! It will accept 2 inch hose and is real easy to use.
Under the trailer, attached to the inside frame of the trailer is 10 ft of pvc which holds the hose, just like an RV. Cept, mine gets rinsed each time the boat gets launched!
Wink
Martin

Martin, I like your solution. Joan likes your solution. Joan told me that we will be adding a pvc tube to our trailer before our next long trip. And then, going with Russ and Toni's bleach and bucket. Thumbs Up

Best wishes,
Jim B.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sea Land diaphragm pump is only about $350 (about $250 10 years ago when I fitted one to a boat we owned so we could pump it out at our home dock).

We have tried the various variations of sewer discharge and gray water--and have ended up with a jug for urine at night, plus gray water in a pan and dump into the sewer.

I would hope that when you use the sewer hose it is at a dump station, not at the RV site. Most dump stations are concrete and you can spill some sewage and wash it down the drain. Heavy disposable nitril gloves are a real plus when dealing with sewage!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
damason

City/Region: Valparaiso, Florida
State or Province: FL
Photos: CHARITY
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: graywater/blackwater Reply with quote

One of my future projects is to make a system for dumping at a RV campground. I plan on changing the outlets to stainless steel with NPT threads cut on the inside. I then will screw a bronze fitting with hose attached and pump away. I will put in a thread with pictures when I have it completed. Laughing

Once a C-Brat - Always a C-Brat!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Wastewater Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: